New from Weiss - the DAC 204 IN STOCK A TTVJAudio.com
Jul 30, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #61 of 236
Jul 30, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #63 of 236
I would not stress so much on what Sabre chip and how many are being used. There are so many bad sounding ESS dacs out there its definitely about the implementation.
Absolutely 👍🏼Most people always like to discuss, study therotically what it is , how it makes, rather than the sounding impressions issue! I’m tiring of this kind of forum honestly indeed.
As you may see, browsing from the very beginning till the end of the thread, no one has ever like to talk about its performance, how it impresses you most etc….

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #64 of 236
Absolutely 👍🏼Most people always like to discuss, study therotically what it is , how it makes, rather than the sounding impressions issue! I’m tiring of this kind of forum honestly indeed.
As you may see, browsing from the very beginning till the end of the thread, no one has ever like to talk about its performance, how it impresses you most etc….
I have efficiently issues with both my speakers and headphones, where my preamp does not have enough latitude in the volume control, meaning, I only have a few clicks available to find a reasonable low-level, beyond that it gets too loud fast. I’m looking for a DAC with a lower out from its single ended/RCA outputs. Has anyone tried the lower output selections on the DAC 204 to see if it still retains the same sound quality?

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #65 of 236
I have efficiently issues with both my speakers and headphones, where my preamp does not have enough latitude in the volume control, meaning, I only have a few clicks available to find a reasonable low-level, beyond that it gets too loud fast. I’m looking for a DAC with a lower out from its single ended/RCA outputs. Has anyone tried the lower output selections on the DAC 204 to see if it still retains the same sound quality?
Hi. I have.

When I brought the 204 over to my headphone setup, I lowered the output level with the attenuation switches. It still sounds great to me. I'm using the balanced outputs on the DAC, but that probably doesn't matter (for what you're asking).

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #69 of 236
So contacted Weiss about the 20+% increase. Daniel promptly responded and indicated the old pricing was barely covering manufacturer costs. You'd think they would have figured that out before they went to market with the 204 at it's original price.

But he indicated no shipments have been made for units with the new pricing. That means retailers that have them now get an additional $600 profit as they are charging the new price for units they paid old pricing for. Gotta love retailer greed! Too bad Weiss didn't announce the increase until the new units shipped. My new DAC budget was around $3k. Now that the 204 is $3.7k for me, that's gets me out of being a Weiss owner. 1 less unit Weiss and retailer will sell sadly.

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #70 of 236
Look, I am very tired of everyone thinking we are greedy dealers and that we are all rich. It couldn't be farther from the truth. Unless you have been in high end audio as a retailer, you have no idea what the cost is, what the margins are after costs and what it is like to deal with some of the customers. There are many excellent customers. I know because many of them are my customers. But not all are good to deal with! And by the way, I had no say in the price increase or when it took place.

If you want to play with high end gear, you have to pay the price in order for the retailer and manufacturer to survive. The support, information and availability of great products does not come cheaply. Nor is it free and it should NOT be free. That is not how a business survives and thrives.

This forum is for Sponsors to announce new products and not really intended for the way many of you use it. I pay a sponsorship fee so I am able to post threads like this. And what has it gained me? Criticism and accusations. I don't come into your workplace demanding deals or criticizing your work. Or calling you greedy and announcing so all can hear how ugly your product is and how it is not worth it. So why do you feel entitled to do it to me here???

Thank you to those who have spoken kindly of the product and of TTVJAudio in this and other threads where this has occurred.

I have received a lot of grief in this thread from the very first post. I hate to say this but I am seriously considering leaving Head-Fi because I really don't need the grief. I have supported this community for a long, long time and yet I get no respect from some of you. I have done loaner programs, worked with Grado Labs and done special headphone releases (HF Series headphones). I have made many lasting relationships here at Head-Fi. But I have grown tired of having to defend myself every time I post something.

Those that know me and have done business with me know I am fair and try to do what I can for my customers.

As a small retail business I do not have the resources of the big guys - and I am ok with that but to apply to me a title of greedy businessman, well you got the wrong guy.

Todd

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #71 of 236
Oh, and by the way, the Weiss DAC 204 has been unavailable to US Dealers for the last 2 months. I am receiving a shipment this week and will have a few that were not sold previously available for my customers. Call me to order. 406-285-3910

Todd

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #72 of 236
Oh, and by the way, the Weiss DAC 204 has been unavailable to US Dealers for the last 2 months. I am receiving a shipment this week and will have a few that were not sold previously available for my customers. Call me to order. 406-285-3910

Todd
Todd my sincerest apologies. I stand corrected. When I saw the price bump on the various reseller sites I incorrectly assumed there was plenty of stock of these at the retailers and they were just taking advantage of the increase despite Weiss not yet having shipped new units. Please pardon my ignorance of this subject matter.

I just ordered a 204 from Todd (and I don't order from greedy businessmen :smile:). Looking forward to comparing it to my current setup of Gustard U18 DDC+X26Pro+LHY OCK-1 ocxo.

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #74 of 236
Just want to throw my two cents in about the wiess 204 and Todd, both are fantastic… I have had the DAC for a full week and it is everything Steve H and other reviewers have spoken. I love it… best voicing ive heard on a dac…this is a end game gear piece if you have a neutral system id pay up to 4k. For Todd, he literally delivered exactly what he said very professional honest and a straight shooter.

Aug 24, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #75 of 236
Hi All,

I waited until I cooled off a bit to respond to those of you who took the opportunity to give your opinions sans experience with the product.

Once again, I announce a new product in MY sponsor thread and people come in and, without any knowledge of the product try to crap on it.

One, Daniel Weiss is a highly acclaimed DAC designer and has won a Grammy for technical excellence. His designs are used to produce much of the music you listen to.

This DAC sounds fantastic - almost on par with the DAC501 and DAC502 for far less money. You comment without even hearing it. Sonically is is clean, accurate and detailed with excellent transparency, a large soundstage and dynamic, realistic sound...

Sure the case is not beautiful but the sound is. Frankly, I buy gear that sounds excellent. The components within are top notch making it sonically beautiful.

Here is a link to another forum where they are talking about it... maybe you will learn something from people who have heard it.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/weiss-dac204.36696/ ... Steve Huff review

I really hope people don't come into your workplace and badmouth your work and talk poorly of your products/the job you do the way you just did to me.

Anyway, I stand firmly behind the Weiss DAC204 and think it is an awesome DAC and one of the best sounding high end DACs currently available for under $5k.

Todd

Well said ,let the topping brigade have their rant ,I have owned topping ,rme ,chord and many more ,I believe you have to listen before you criticise.👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back