new love for the hd280
Mar 22, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly
Anyway - is there any kind of consensus on the blu tak mod? Is it good? Is the semi blu tak mod mentioned here just as good - or better?

I bought the tak. I am just a little trigger shy.

(BTW I have read every thread I could find on the blu-tak mod. From my memory it seems that most people thought it was pretty good - a mild but definite difference, one or two thought it made the sound slightly worse or had no effect. Is this correct? Or do I need to go back and read them all again?)

it made all the difference to me (the blu-tak). its really easy to take it out if you dont like it (i did it several times to make sure i wasnt imagining things)

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #17 of 63
This is the metal band i bent straight (both sides) - i actually bent them slightly past straight, as they originally followed the curve of the headband
DSCF0123.JPG

DSCF0124.JPG

elmers poster tack with foam under driver (note, the amount of poster tack underneath the foam is really, really thin) - not that pretty, but it does the job!
DSCF0122.JPG

toghether again, without the vice clamp effect i had. there's still plenty enough clamp (the actual plastic pieces are formed into that shape), bending the metal just relaxes it a bit.
DSCF0121.JPG

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
I miss that LOW bass in the 280's.

Go the standard head-fi rout. keep your sr-60's and buy the 280's anyways. And yes the low-lows are unbelievably fun to listen to.
basshead.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 63
"its really easy to take it out if you dont like it (i did it several times to make sure i wasnt imagining things)"

Good point - it doesn't matter if anyone else thinks it works or even if it doesn't work for me - it is easily reversible.

I assume any kind of tak will work? I bought "Scotch removable adhesive putty"

Mar 22, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 63
Mar 22, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 63
Hmm - maybe I better stick with the real thing:

"BLU-TACK is a product of England that has been favorably reviewed in both the British and American press. In their Sept. '92 issue Stereophile tested various speaker/stand interfaces such as Tone Cones, German Acoustics Damping Feet, ISO Bearings, Monster Footers, Mod Squad Feet, Navcom and BLU-TACK. It was concluded that "the winner in this comparison is the cheapest: BLU-TACK."

http://www.artech-electronics.com/us...o/blutack.html

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

http://www.headphone.com/graphs/show...hp?graphID=213

Seems like you are right according to this chart (which I am probably misinterpreting). Anywhere from 100-200 plus lower as well would make it flatter.

showGraph.php

I've always been of the opinion that the Headroom graph shown above is wacked because it doesn't correlate to my listening experiences in the least. While I will agree that the 280's are bit lean through the midbass I haven't found a headphone yet that can reproduce some of the low low bass like the 280's can but that doesn't seem to be reflected in the graph at all.

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I've always been of the opinion that the Headroom graph shown above is wacked because it doesn't correlate to my listening experiences in the least.

I agree.

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

I think the foam in the center was in fact suggested on the Meier Audio mod page that was linked in a previous thread.

http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/tipstricks.htm

Seems like you are the first to use it on the 280 - unless I am forgetting something.

yeah, theres not a lot of room in there in the first place, the amount of tack i used under the foam is miniscule, and the foam itself gets compressed down pretty thin.

and yeah, thats where i got the idea.

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #28 of 63
Maybe the foam results in your better results than most get.

Mar 23, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #29 of 63
although my 280s headband has cracks, i've managed to tape it so it doesnt crack any further... and the senn distributor doesnt hold any headband replacements... so will have to keep them till i go overseas :/

but i love them~

Mar 23, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #30 of 63
I was under the impression that the headband cracks were nothing more than a superficial flaw. Is that true? or have some people's headbands failed due to the cracks. Also do you think its possible that sennheiser has changed the headband to be less clamping because mine do not clamp like some people claim they do. I can wear mine for 4+ hours easy. No sweaty ears or pressure points, and my head isnt small, its just a normal head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back