new love for the hd280
Mar 23, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #31 of 63
so i went to radioshack on my way back to work after lunch. i thought i might find a cheap headphone that i could use as a donor. i wanted to swap out the coiled cord on the 280(dont like coiled cords). didnt find anything suitable, but did stumble on an extension cord that i thought might do the trick.

DSCF0125.JPG

im almost certain im imagining things, but it sounds brighter than before. im just glad it doesnt sound worse. positives:its definitely more comfortable (lighter), no adapter needed anymore. "percieved" more clarity.

negative:cord is a bit thicker and less pliable than before (obviously), a bit more microphonics.

worth it for me

Mar 23, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #32 of 63
Senn should sell a straight cord for the 280 at least but would be good is if there were two versions, long coiled cord and a medium straight cord.

Mar 23, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #33 of 63
I own better, and much more expensive, headphones than the 280s. However, they simply rule when it comes to listening in noisy environments. Any time that I'm on a plane, you can find the 280s in my carry on. Also, for the price they sell at, the 280s do provide a solid audio value for people just getting started in the hobby.

Mar 23, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #34 of 63
aside from not having a straight cord, my only major complaint is the durability of the headband. maybe it's my round head, but the plastic on the headband is just not very durable. first my right side cracked within two months of use, and now my right side plastic has come loose so it slides around. i just used black duct tape to hold them together now. it's not a major issue but it is annoying.

-joseph

Mar 24, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I haven't found a headphone yet that can reproduce some of the low low bass like the 280's can but that doesn't seem to be reflected in the graph at all.

Probably a case of bad seal on measurement ?

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #36 of 63
Maybe most of us are so used to curved FR chart headphones that it would sound awfully weird to hear flat ones.

So, since the hd280 have better low bass than most, our brains are impressed - even though the low bass is not anywhere near the volume of the mid frequencies?

I don't know that I believe this - but it might be possible.

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly
So, since the hd280 have better low bass than most, our brains are impressed - even though the low bass is not anywhere near the volume of the mid frequencies?

If there was a 'flat phone', the low bass would sound softer than the mids, since our ears are more sensitive to the mid-range, right?

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat
biggrin.gif
HD280 and lack of bass
biggrin.gif

I've never heard more bassy headphones

with my sources, un-eq'd - my 280 "seemed" the weakest in the bass department. (compared to sr60, v6, koss, a700) i could be wrong, but thats what i remember before putting them away for awhile.

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Probably a case of bad seal on measurement ?

Could be but I've found basically the same thing with any of Headrooms FR graphs for headphones I've heard.
Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly
Maybe most of us are so used to curved FR chart headphones that it would sound awfully weird to hear flat ones.

I don't know that I believe this - but it might be possible.

Honestly I'm not sure exactly what your getting at here. I personally don't think Headrooms graph for the 280's is right so it's near impossible to make any conclusions based on it. Without a proper measurement it's hard to say exactly what's going on but if I were to guess I would think the low bass is on par with the mids or even bumped up a bit and a mild dip through the midbass and slight rise in the treble before falling off.
Quote:

Originally Posted by eight08
with my sources, un-eq'd - my 280 "seemed" the weakest in the bass department. (compared to sr60, v6, koss, a700) i could be wrong, but thats what i remember before putting them away for awhile.

I think you're probably referring to midbass which is a little on the lean side, especially when underpowered. This gives the impression of weak bass because that's where most of the information we think of as bass comes from.

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #41 of 63
funny - the Sennheiser chart (which only goes down to 100Hz) shows a small peak at 100Hz. So bumping up around 200-400HZ would make it flatter. (A pdf file so I can't reproduce it here - but maybe most of you have already looked).

Fairly different from the Headroom chart - as Elnero thought.

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Could be but I've found basically the same thing with any of Headrooms FR graphs for headphones I've heard.

Sorry, I meant closed phones. Most of headroom's closed phones fr chart show weak bass, with the exception of hd25s, while in real life 280's bass >> hd25. For open phones, bass on those charts relate quite well with what I hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eight08
with my sources, un-eq'd - my 280 "seemed" the weakest in the bass department. (compared to sr60, v6, koss, a700)

For real low bass extension, 280 have plenty in supply compared to all other phones that I've tried - even using ipod with no eq. Interestingly hfi550 has more bass 'punch' or impact. Of course I may be wrong as well.
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
I was under the impression that the headband cracks were nothing more than a superficial flaw. Is that true? or have some people's headbands failed due to the cracks. Also do you think its possible that sennheiser has changed the headband to be less clamping because mine do not clamp like some people claim they do. I can wear mine for 4+ hours easy. No sweaty ears or pressure points, and my head isnt small, its just a normal head.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd be interested in knowing this as well-- whether or not they're just superficial cracks, or bad enough that the headband fails. I've owned the 280's a couple different times and for only relatively short periods of time, so I never had any problems with headband cracks....

Mar 24, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I've owned the 280's a couple different times and for only relatively short periods of time

Oh no ... a young Lou skywalker !
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Um, sorry. Very interested to know about this too, since I have two phones with this crack-prone headband. =)

Mar 25, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Oh no ... a young Lou skywalker !
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Um, sorry. Very interested to know about this too, since I have two phones with this crack-prone headband. =)

if anyone saw what i was doing to stretch my headband out about a month ago.. lets just say i didnt care if they broke or not at that point (i really didnt). but there's absolutely no visible signs of cracking and i was pretty brutal on them. so glad they didnt snap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back