New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
May 6, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #436 of 501
Thanks SunTanScanMan and rasmushorn!

I am a big fans of Corda. These are the amp and dac that I used to own: 
HeadSix、2Move、Stepdance、Quickstep、PCstep、Cantate.2、Concerto、Symphony.2、Rock、Classic、Daccord.

My current setup. It gives me hours and hours of musical pleasure! 

May 7, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #437 of 501
Nice, a true Meier fan :)

So am I, the long out of production Stagedac + Concerto stack with the original T1 will be my rig for the rest of my life!

I also have the Jazz that I use with my secondary setup (mostly vinyl), and PCStep for the office and travel, with a DT1350.

It was fun messing around with various brands before I got into Head-Fi and a short period after I signed up, but when I discovered Meier Audio, my audio journey has come to an end a few years ago. Perhaps one day a new headphone, but anything in the chain before that, I highly doubt it.

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #440 of 501
As far as the FF vs. non-FF issue I'd like to give my own input. My setup is Daccord (max crossfeed) - Classic - AKG K812 and I tried but didn't prefer the the FF-upgrade, I actually ended up having it reversed (Jan provided a fab service there too). Quite simply: for me it took the "fun" out of my music (mainly pop, 90s dance music and uplifting trance). The previous harshness was gone, in was smoothness but also what was gone was the nice thing which my non-FF setup did for me previously: sense of detail, channel "frolicking", sense of energy and the the feeling of sound being "up close and personal". I rarely listen to anything analytically (well mostly only during earlier phases of my listening sessions) and my setup is not built for neutrality - my listening sessions tend to end me bouncing up and down with the beat, arms waving around quite often. I don't know if I am abusing the idea around which Corda products are aimed for but my message is that one shouldn't say that the FF upgrade is a default and everybody should do it. Believe me, it will alter the way how the Classic sounds and the effect will be noticeable.

If you aim for neutral output and you have built your setup around neutrality then most likely the FF-upgrade will support that goal. Otherwise I am not sure if the upgrade produces the anticipated result and there is the danger of having the upgrade reversed. One thing to remember: Classic without FF is not faulty in any way and I believe that the FF-upgrade is ultimately about listing preference.

Jun 3, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #441 of 501
^ Good notes, and I think what you describe lies within the range of what one might expect from the ff circuitry: specifically, "harshness...gone...smoothness".

Discussions of what makes equipment sound 'detailed' arise regularly, especially with respect to supposed digital artefacts heard by some with many delta-sigma DACs and with (so-called) artificially bright headphones and speakers. IIRC, FF achieves greater detail (Jan claimed), but your experience ("[gone is] sense of detail [and] energy") doesn't necessarily contradict this.

For example, one of my DACs produces more low-level bass information. This makes it sound as if it has "more bass" but in fact it is - like most DACs - ruler flat and neutral. I could say the same - to some degree - about my Audez'e phones, which produce more bass information and hence can give an impression they are "dark" or "warm". Of course, almost the opposite subjective result seems to have happened in your case.

What does disturb me a little is your note that it sounds "[less] up close and personal" :eek: I would have anticipated the opposite!

Anyway, the upgrade is one I have scheduled for this year. Thanks for the notes, which are valuable. To your astute observation it is "ultimately about list[en]ing preference" I would add it is also about individual variation in how we (our brains, probably) decode sound.

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #442 of 501
What does disturb me a little is your note that it sounds "[less] up close and personal"
eek.gif
I would have anticipated the opposite!

Thank you for the comments, I enjoy the discussion :)

I'll try to explain a bit: Jan has mentioned that the FF-upgrade brings out the microdetail in sound and I have also noticed that too but by "smoothing" (I know the this term is horrible here since imho FF certainly doesn't make everything artificially flat) out the differences but the parts of the sound which perviously stood out ("up close and personal") are now not there as strongly as before.

Once again, I certainly don't want to encourage people not to get the upgrade, especially if the target is neutral output.

Also one thing to consider: your cans may have an effect on how one perceives the result of FF-processing. In my opinion the effect of FF was very noticeable with the K812 but with HD800 the effect wasn't as strong as with the K812.

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #443 of 501
^ Oh that's interesting re HD 800 versus K812. Thanks!

I have the 800 and - of course - Audeze's. I do intend to try FF as I'm into microdetail and microdynamics (material permitting!) and I've been a follower of Jan's gear for years. Your experience is valuable and appreciated. One certainly doesn't get a complete picture if only satisfied reports arise - unless of course everyone is satisfied :wink:

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #444 of 501
Just as MaxiTK writes I think a very little bit of the intimacy is lost in the ff-upgrade. The ff-versions to me has a more relaxed and easy feeling and not so much WOW-factor and in-your-face sound as the original. The original sounds more sharp and impresses more at first listen.

The ff-version is better for longer listening sessions, more mature and refined. It was difficult to tell the difference between the two when using the T1v2 but with HD800 the differences were bigger to me. Also with T5p(+300 Ohm impedance adapter) the ff-version is more natural sounding with the ff-versions. 

I decided to stay with the ff upgrade but I could easily live with the original. Thanks for sharing your impressions MaxiTK!

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #445 of 501
Recently, the high crossfeed mode started to create audible disturbances. This doesn't occur in the low crossfeed or stereo modes. Did anyone have this problem? I would hate to have to send it all the way to Germany and back if it's something simple.

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #446 of 501
  The ff-versions to me has a more relaxed and easy feeling and not so much WOW-factor and in-your-face sound as the original. The original sounds more sharp and impresses more at first listen.

I agree completely with you but I'd like to add that the wonderful Classic hasn't stopped from impressing me every time I use it :)

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #447 of 501
Couldn't the description "less up close and personal" be another way of saying the ff- upgrade sounds more spacious than the ostensibly more intimate original version?

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #448 of 501
^ I would hope "more microdetail" would mean subtle audible cues - including spatial ones - would be more evident...

The trouble is that when it comes to our (limited) conscious attention, hearing more of one thing often means we hear less of another. Clearly, for some of us what we lose may not be something we wanted to lose :eek:

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #449 of 501
By spacious, I was referring to the possibility his impressions were that the ff-upgrade expanded the stage (that is, space) beyond the presumed relatively intimate staging (space) of the original, both of which for some, may very much be a positive.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #450 of 501
^ I agree with your possibility, and I meant microdetail should include just exactly this expansion of stage (as and when recording and production permit). To clarify, my comment following was intended as a general, ironic reflection about technical changes and their potential subjective effects.

Concerning the space, I hope MaxiTK will enlighten us. I would consider it a positive too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back