New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Mar 26, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #16 of 625
I will soon enough know if the K553 sounds any different to K550 as I have ordered brand new pairs of both just for kicks lol. Not really, I ordered the K550 a couple days ago, then found out about K553 and was annoyed, but ended up ordering it also lol.

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #17 of 625
Project86, do you think these could be fed by Yulong DA8 amp without background noise (K553 impedance is only 32 ohm)?
I need some closed-back alternative to my HD650 and considering K553 as cheap option and more expensive options like Oppo PM-3 (26 Ohm) or Alpha Dogs (50 ohm)...All are low impedance, should I expect problems or not?
Comfort is important as much as the sound for me. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 625
  I will soon enough know if the K553 sounds any different to K550 as I have ordered brand new pairs of both just for kicks lol. Not really, I ordered the K550 a couple days ago, then found out about K553 and was annoyed, but ended up ordering it also lol.

Cool, I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Probably more valuable than mine considering you'll have both models together.

Project86, do you think these could be fed by Yulong DA8 amp without background noise (K553 impedance is only 32 ohm)?
I need some closed-back alternative to my HD650 and considering K553 as cheap option and more expensive options like Oppo PM-3 (26 Ohm) or Alpha Dogs (50 ohm)...All are low impedance, should I expect problems or not?
Comfort is important as much as the sound for me. Thank you in advance for your advice.

I would think so but I've not tried it yet. My DA8 is over at a friend's house right now but I should be able to bring the K553 over there one of these days. DA8 typically works well as far as noise except with super sensitive headphones/IEMs. I wouldn't call the K553 Pro super sensitive. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #19 of 625
  project86, was it easier to get a seal, either from the size of the cups or the earpads changing? 

Good question and a tough one to answer. It's been a while since I had a K550 here. I remember having a hell of a time getting a proper seal at first. Eventually I figured out what worked for me. Now, when opening the K553 for the first time, I got a great fit right off the bat. Is this due to pads being different, or just me being more well-versed in what works and what doesn't? It's impossible to recreate that initial experience a second time around.

I honestly don't think the pads have any massive changes. They might be a little thicker compared to what I remember, but then again I recall later K550s seeming to have thicker pads anyway, compared to early models. So maybe that's all I'm seeing on the K553. 

I push them forward on my head so the back part of the pads almost tucks behind my ears. I get the best seal and therefore the best sound by doing that.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 625
Looking at this as a replacement to my Monoprice 8323. How do you think the AKG's compare to it as an upgrade?

Also, do you wear glasses? Did you get a chance to find out how well it seals + how bothersome it is with glasses on?

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 625
Is this Massdrop only available to US residents? The only country option is "United States"....you can't get past that point unless you select that.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #23 of 625
Was originally saving up for some 1964 customs. BUT this comes first :)

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #24 of 625
Ok I cancelled my order of the K550, only getting the K553, looks like we will never know if they sound different 
biggrin.gif
 Personally I reckon they will be the same tuning, but over the years, sometimes drivers do get small improvements in the production process yielding drivers with better balanced response and less variation, this might be the case with the K553, no tuning difference, just newer processes of manufacturing. I know other models of AKG have had similar occurrences, and Beyer's drivers have also become smoother in the top end over the years, not deliberate tuning differences, but just better driver production giving better sound basically. It can go both ways though.

ALthough, now having watched several K553 reviews on youtube, they all mention fairly hefty bass, which  the original K550 was not known for, sooooo maybe 553 is a retune.

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #25 of 625
Is this Massdrop only available to US residents? The only country option is "United States"....you can't get past that point unless you select that.

It looks like its not just a Mass Drop limitation. According to the official AKG website, this HP is only available to the US period. Wonder why that is.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #26 of 625
  Ok I cancelled my order of the K550, only getting the K553, looks like we will never know if they sound different 
biggrin.gif
 Personally I reckon they will be the same tuning, but over the years, sometimes drivers do get small improvements in the production process yielding drivers with better balanced response and less variation, this might be the case with the K553, no tuning difference, just newer processes of manufacturing. I know other models of AKG have had similar occurrences, and Beyer's drivers have also become smoother in the top end over the years, not deliberate tuning differences, but just better driver production giving better sound basically. It can go both ways though.

ALthough, now having watched several K553 reviews on youtube, they all mention fairly hefty bass, which  the original K550 was not known for, sooooo maybe 553 is a retune.

Could be. It's hard to know for sure in these situations, and I'm certain AKG will never clarify.

Hefty bass? Interesting that people hear it that way. Again, I think the bass has more impact than K550, without necessarily having a big increase in quantity. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #27 of 625
From the video, it seems that they made the earpad foam thinner than what I remember. Probably helps with the seal, but I don't think the pads are deep enough to prevent my ears from touching the baffle.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #28 of 625
I would think so but I've not tried it yet. My DA8 is over at a friend's house right now but I should be able to bring the K553 over there one of these days. DA8 typically works well as far as noise except with super sensitive headphones/IEMs. I wouldn't call the K553 Pro super sensitive. 

First I'd like to thank you for your response. I would be very grateful if you could somehow manage the test at your friend's house.
My concerns with K553 are headamp impedance issue (they are quite sensitive @114dB) and possible aggressive highs (saxo, trumpets) or peaks you mentioned.
In case none of them are significant I may save some money and be a happy camper with K553 :)
If not, do you think I can expect much better result with orthodynamic driven Mad Dog or PM-3?

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #29 of 625
  From the video, it seems that they made the earpad foam thinner than what I remember. Probably helps with the seal, but I don't think the pads are deep enough to prevent my ears from touching the baffle.

It seems slightly thicker to me. But who know..... I've even heard of K550s having different pads in the later runs - not sure if that was ever confirmed or not. ALG seems to revise things and never really tells us.

My ears do come close to touching the baffle. Same as they do with many other headphones. I'm just used to it I guess. K553 is not as bad as Sony MDR-1R in this regard. 

First I'd like to thank you for your response. I would be very grateful if you could somehow manage the test at your friend's house.
My concerns with K553 are headamp impedance issue (they are quite sensitive @114dB) and possible aggressive highs (saxo, trumpets) or peaks you mentioned.
In case none of them are significant I may save some money and be a happy camper with K553 :)
If not, do you think I can expect much better result with orthodynamic driven Mad Dog or PM-3?

If you are really sensitive to highs or peaks, you might stick with on of those planars regardless. Maybe a secondhand Mad Dog would work for you, they can be had for reasonable money. The K553 is not overly aggressive but I'd call it neutral, and that may be more bothersome than a smoother model. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #30 of 625
  It seems slightly thicker to me. But who know..... I've even heard of K550s having different pads in the later runs - not sure if that was ever confirmed or not. ALG seems to revise things and never really tells us.

My ears do come close to touching the baffle. Same as they do with many other headphones. I'm just used to it I guess. K553 is not as bad as Sony MDR-1R in this regard. 

If you are really sensitive to highs or peaks, you might stick with on of those planars regardless. Maybe a secondhand Mad Dog would work for you, they can be had for reasonable money. The K553 is not overly aggressive but I'd call it neutral, and that may be more bothersome than a smoother model. 

the MDR-1R has some of the deepest earcups available for a portable closed headphone? it's like 22mm deep in the back. I don't rmb having any issues with my ear hitting anything when I had the k550, but that was such a long time ago. maybe you can measure the depth and compare.

old k550 measurements here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones#post_9217526

Users who are viewing this thread

Back