New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Mar 27, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #31 of 625

the MDR-1R has some of the deepest earcups available for a portable closed headphone? it's like 22mm deep in the back. I don't rmb having any issues with my ear hitting anything when I had the k550, but that was such a long time ago. maybe you can measure the depth and compare.

old k550 measurements here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones#post_9217526

I think it has more to do with the shape, not just the depth. The Sony has a smallish cup which really crowds my ears. So even though it may be deep it still causes trouble for me. The angle doesn't help either. Oddly, my M100 with XL pads has less touching of the ears. Maybe I'm an anomaly in this respect. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #32 of 625
  I think it has more to do with the shape, not just the depth. The Sony has a smallish cup which really crowds my ears. So even though it may be deep it still causes trouble for me. The angle doesn't help either. Oddly, my M100 with XL pads has less touching of the ears. Maybe I'm an anomaly in this respect. 

i guess you are talking about a width issue with the sonys? ya, i can see the sony's not working for some with the angled driver but they are quite deep and roomy earpads.

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #34 of 625
A few months ago I was advised after briefly mentioning Massdrop in a discussion that I should not refer to it or my posts would be removed. (Nothing negative or positive; just a mention of an offer). Now we can have entire threads about Massdrop offers? I am confused, although pleased to see that the thought police appear to have loosened their grip.

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #35 of 625
  A few months ago I was advised after briefly mentioning Massdrop in a discussion that I should not refer to it or my posts would be removed. (Nothing negative or positive; just a mention of an offer). Now we can have entire threads about Massdrop offers? I am confused, although pleased to see that the thought police appear to have loosened their grip.

I guess the difference was when they paired up with AKG to produce something. Then they kind of became a "partner" of a manufacturer offering a unique product. At least that's what I read...

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #37 of 625
The partnership with AKG is a factor. Also I believe Massdrop connected with Jude and he was able to learn more about the operation, what they are shooting for, etc. Basically the initial ban on group buys in general is a long standing thing and likely still applies. Massdrop has shown themselves to be reliable enough, and invested enough in the community, that Jude is comfortable allowing them in. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #38 of 625
How do these fair without amps?  I already have a pair of K712s that I love, but I'd like to have a more portable pair, and don't have a portable amp yet.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #40 of 625
Power isn't really an issue - these are sensitive enough, and efficient enough, to be happily driven by an iDevice. I've been using the HM802 a lot, with the IEM amp card installed, and it's got plenty of juice. 

They show improvements with quality amping, but don't need a lot of power at all. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #41 of 625
Can anyone give me a brief rundown of how these compare to the following:
- M50x
- MSR7
- HD 598
- HD 600

Obviously some are closed-back, some are open-back, so soundstage is a meaningful difference in general--but I'm a noob so I don't know much more than that. I'm particularly interested in overall bang for buck. At $139 on massdrop, these seem super interesting. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #42 of 625
Compared to the M50x, the K553 sounds more open and expansive. It also has more engaging mids, where I find the M50x to be a little withdrawn. M50x is still an enjoyable headphone, but I prefer the K553 by no small margin.

I haven't heard MSR7, sorry.

It's been so long since I've heard HD598, I can't comment on that either.

HD600 is a better headphone - it's in a higher class. It sounds a little smoother/darker so if sibilance or bright recordings bother you, it's definitely the better choice. As a closed headphone, the K553 has a more palpable kick on the low end, but HD600 does bass in a more natural, believable way, despite not having as much impact. HD600 requires more as far as amplification and also scales higher with better and better gear. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #43 of 625
  Compared to the M50x, the K553 sounds more open and expansive. It also has more engaging mids, where I find the M50x to be a little withdrawn. M50x is still an enjoyable headphone, but I prefer the K553 by no small margin.

I haven't heard MSR7, sorry.

It's been so long since I've heard HD598, I can't comment on that either.

HD600 is a better headphone - it's in a higher class. It sounds a little smoother/darker so if sibilance or bright recordings bother you, it's definitely the better choice. As a closed headphone, the K553 has a more palpable kick on the low end, but HD600 does bass in a more natural, believable way, despite not having as much impact. HD600 requires more as far as amplification and also scales higher with better and better gear. 

Thanks for the input! One more thing: Any thoughts on comparison with Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back