New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Aug 3, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #781 of 834
btw fastest replies from a company , in my life.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #782 of 834
Quote:
^ no my dumb self picked the wrong voltage.

Epic fail
redface.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #783 of 834
Has there been any impressions on how well this works as a preamp? I've only found a comment from 6moons but none from others. I'm not concerned about headphone usage but would like to know how well it performs as a preamp to tube speaker amplification.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #784 of 834

Quote:
Has there been any impressions on how well this works as a preamp? I've only found a comment from 6moons but none from others. I'm not concerned about headphone usage but would like to know how well it performs as a preamp to tube speaker amplification.

Are you currently in the Seattle area or Hawaii? I think I met you at one of the local meets. Im really itching to try those magnums and I have a Lyr you could test out as a pre amp. PM me if ya want. I had a table set up at the last two Seattle meets, looking at the pics in those threads might jog your memory as to who I am.

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #786 of 834
I've been using the Lyr as pre-amp to my Swan M200 MKIII active desktop monitors.  I mainly do it because I like the volume control on the Lyr over that of the Swans.  Gives me plenty of gain.  I think a little bit of the Lyr sound signature comes thru to the Swans but it's very subtle (maybe totally in my head) so I wouldn't say I'm getting a tubey sound with the Lyr as a pre-amp.  I haven't tried the combo with a larger speaker set-up.

Quote:

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #787 of 834
just tried this weird combo today. i am totally blowed away. If you just focus on the sound, it's really hard to tell whether you are listening to an IEM or full size headphone. i am not kidding.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #788 of 834
Not so weird 
wink.gif

From time to time I'll use the RE-262 with the Lyr.  The 262 are harder to drive and less efficient than the 272 which is a plus when using it with the Lyr (fingers crossed).  

Quote:
just tried this weird combo today. i am totally blowed away. If you just focus on the sound, it's really hard to tell whether you are listening to an IEM or full size headphone. i am not kidding.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #789 of 834
agree. Got quite a bit noise here. What a shame! I used to have RE-262 as well. Personally I think that RE-272 is much better. It's amazing what they could do with a dynamic IEM.

Quote:
Not so weird 
wink.gif

From time to time I'll use the RE-262 with the Lyr.  The 262 are harder to drive and less efficient than the 272 which is a plus when using it with the Lyr (fingers crossed).  

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #791 of 834
finally found the MAIN thread for LYR....i just wanna record a compliment to SCHIIT.

recently snagged one of these and it had a problem with the switch.
I didnt wanna/ dunno howda mess with the innards,
Jason responded in double quick time to my query
and quoted xxbucks for a base estimate. i sent it in. 

Last nite, i gotten a bill from Schiit, no charge for the repair,
i just need to take care of the freight back..
HOWS TAT FOR KICKASS service.
This SCHIIT team WORKSSSS!!!!

where is JASON.. THANKs. !!!

Ps: the name for the next amp....KICKASS 
( something that would knock off WA6se ok.. at half the price but of cos...:p )

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #792 of 834
would lyr be better or worse than asgard for my er4s in terms of sound quality?
some say that the sound quality asgard is no where behind lyr or valhalla (actually this solid state amp sounds the most transparent of the three headphone amp products of schiit)
its just that lyr has its tube sound and a whole alot more power in order to drive difficult headphone
any idea?

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #793 of 834

Quote:
would lyr be better or worse than asgard for my er4s in terms of sound quality?
some say that the sound quality asgard is no where behind lyr or valhalla (actually this solid state amp sounds the most transparent of the three headphone amp products of schiit)
its just that lyr has its tube sound and a whole alot more power in order to drive difficult headphone
any idea?

Way too much power and you run the risk of blowing your ER-4Ss with the Lyr. In that case, it might make them sound better.
tongue.gif

Seriously, I wouldn't try them with the Lyr. As Schiit Audio says:

"...even though Lyr is the same size as Asgard and Valhalla, it’s one of the most powerful headphone amplifiers you can buy. We will not be responsible if you blow up your headphones with it!"

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #794 of 834

Quote:

Way too much power and you run the risk of blowing your ER-4Ss with the Lyr. In that case, it might make them sound better.
tongue.gif

Seriously, I wouldn't try them with the Lyr. As Schiit Audio says:

"...even though Lyr is the same size as Asgard and Valhalla, it’s one of the most powerful headphone amplifiers you can buy. We will not be responsible if you blow up your headphones with it!"

i see people trying theirs iems with lyr up there in this page
they are saying its like listening to full size headphones
of course im not going to be stupid and destroy my er4s by turning the volume too high

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #795 of 834

Quote:
i see people trying theirs iems with lyr up there in this page
they are saying its like listening to full size headphones
of course im not going to be stupid and destroy my er4s by turning the volume too high

I still wouldn't risk it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back