NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Aug 15, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #4,173 of 4,971
Ringing is not an issue. I hear it for 10 seconds after switching on, that's all. It is a great amp for the money. If you are hesitating to buy it because of 'ringing', forget it quickly, and buy it. It is not an issue.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4,174 of 4,971
  It's an issue worth discussing when talking about this amp.  It's noted in Schiit's own description of the amp, and it is unusual - very few amps have that issue.  So among prospective purchasers, and recent owners, it's reasonable & sensible to discuss the issue, and the degree of the ringing, and how susceptible individual units are.
I like my Vali too.  Love the sound and everything, AND it's the only headphone product I've experienced that has an unpleasant high pitched initial ringing and one has to take that into account.  

OK, I should leave the soap-box attitude out of these posts, I stand corrected.  It does bring up another aspect of the ringing though, since there are seemingly small differences in the amount of ringing in different units, you won't know how much yours will ring until you actually get one.  I wonder if the size of the tubes have anything to do with the sensitivity of the microphonics.  My other tube amp(which uses a larger "normal" sized tube) doesn't suffer at all from this sensitivity.  For my unit though, I can say the ringing has been a non issue for me.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4,175 of 4,971
yes, there does seem to be variance in the amount they ring.  Some report very little, less than 10 seconds, and others up to a minute after turning on or plugging in.  I had 2, with manufacture dates a few months apart, and both mine rang about the same amount (30 seconds).
I sold one (not out of dissatisfaction) and later got the tubed Valhalla2.  It has no ringing at all, and that's a bonus.  I concede that Vali ringing is not a huge deal.

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #4,178 of 4,971
It's just funny-I left this thread unread for about 3 months and 200 pages ago because it had already been beaten to death and back about the ringing. I come back-skipping those unread 200 pages mind you-only to find the same old merry-go-round spinning endlessly. It's a shame that the thread about maybe the best value in all of Headfi, is also one of it's most worthless.

Jason had the Vali disclaimer on it's product page since day 1. It's 'issue' ( if you can call it that on a $119 steal of the century) has largely been eliminated, or can be, with a screwdriver and little fuss. There's even a nicely illustrated walkthrough in this very thread.

-Daniel

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #4,179 of 4,971
It's just funny-I left this thread unread for about 3 months and 200 pages ago because it had already been beaten to death and back about the ringing. I come back-skipping those unread 200 pages mind you-only to find the same old merry-go-round spinning endlessly. It's a shame that the thread about maybe the best value in all of Headfi, is also one of it's most worthless.

Jason had the Vali disclaimer on it's product page since day 1. It's 'issue' ( if you can call it that on a $119 steal of the century) has largely been eliminated, or can be, with a screwdriver and little fuss. There's even a nicely illustrated walkthrough in this very thread.

-Daniel

Within the last week or two, several prospective purchasers have asked about the Vali and its ringing.  People reply.  That's OK, and not worthless.  Not everyone reads the previous 4178 posts.

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #4,185 of 4,971
My normal mode of operation is to switch the Vali on, plug in my HD 800 and give it 10-20 seconds before playing anything. I've been able to avoid hearing the ringing issue. I don't hear any ringing once the music starts. My own $ 0.02.

On a related subject, the 800 plays very well through the Vali. Pretty impressive performance for a tiny amp and will give the BH Crack with Speedball a very tough fight. Amongst my amps, the ZDSE is better with the 800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back