NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Aug 19, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #4,188 of 4,971
After considering to buy a Vali amp, i was told that it may not have enough current for my Hifiman HE-500. So i just had an idea.
Would it be possible to use the Concero into my Matrix M-Stage amp and then as a preamp into the vali.
Please tell me if that is advisable or would the sound be too colored/altered because going through two amps?

Since i have no idea if this works i would hope for clarification.

thanks

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #4,189 of 4,971
After considering to buy a Vali amp, i was told that it may not have enough current for my Hifiman HE-500. 

According to innerfidelity the Hifiman HE-500 needs 2mW for 90dB, schiit say Vali does 550mW into 50Ohms, so plenty of power.
Originally Posted by amigastar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be possible to use the Concero into my Matrix M-Stage amp and then as a preamp into the vali.

Won't increase the max current from Vali if that's what you want.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #4,191 of 4,971
  According to innerfidelity the Hifiman HE-500 needs 2mW for 90dB, schiit say Vali does 550mW into 50Ohms, so plenty of power.
Won't increase the max current from Vali if that's what you want.

By that measurement you would need around 1W to reach 117 dB SPL for 27 dB of headroom to avoid distorting on peaks. I'd say that the Vali is just a tad short on power for running the HE-500's above modest volume. If you're exclusively listening to highly compressed (loudness) music then it's probably OK.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #4,192 of 4,971
  By that measurement you would need around 1W to reach 117 dB SPL for 27 dB of headroom to avoid distorting on peaks. I'd say that the Vali is just a tad short on power for running the HE-500's above modest volume. If you're exclusively listening to highly compressed (loudness) music then it's probably OK.

If Schiit are quoting their power output as RMS continuous at some arbitrary low distortion then the dynamic power should be ample to get above (arbitrary) 117 dB.
Jeez, for 117 dB my stereo would need to output kWs 
eek.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #4,193 of 4,971
  If Schiit are quoting their power output as RMS continuous at some arbitrary low distortion then the dynamic power should be ample to get above (arbitrary) 117 dB.
Jeez, for 117 dB my stereo would need to output kWs 
eek.gif

Nope, by the figures given in the post 117 dB. Actually if you look at the specs of the headphones, 1W should take you close to 119 dB. No kWs are required. I own both products.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #4,195 of 4,971
Alright guys,

thanks for clarification.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #4,196 of 4,971
  re: "Jeez, for 117 dB my stereo would need to output kWs 
eek.gif
  "
By "my stereo" I meant my speaker setup (84 dB/Watt @ 1 M, 3 metres listening distance) sorry for the confusion
basshead.gif

My HD650s don't need kWs (just mWs)
bigsmile_face.gif

So you're thinking of upgrading the amp? 
biggrin.gif
 Just kidding

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #4,198 of 4,971
I've been using the Modi/Vali combo for last week or so and I like how my HD700 sounds with the Vali. Although I have one problem with it, the noise floor seem to be bit too high for them. Hissing is suprisingly loud, it blends into the music when I'm listening to noisier songs (rock, electronic, etc.), but in classical, ambient and acoustic style of music the hissing can be bit distracting. I'd be interested to hear if other HD700 owners has had the same experience.

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #4,199 of 4,971
so I was looking for a DAC I can connect to my Vali Amp I was going to get the Modi DAC but seems it is not compatible with DOLBY/DTS/PCM like the Fii0 D07 cheaper and better then Modi amp even the schiit tech said I should buy the FiiO D07 over the Modi DAC

Here is the conversation

ME is your optical input Modi DAC Compatible with DOLBY/DTS and PCM ?

Schiit Tech No, the same for any other 2-channel DAC.
  Nick T.

Schiit Tech
tech@schiit.com

ME the Fii0 D07 can

FiiO D07 Advanced Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 96kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC

Compatible with DOLBY/DTS/PCM, Supporting kinds of digital audio decoding, professional signal conversion
  1. Classicl metal style with eternal value
  2. User friendly design, easy and humane operation to simplify the life
  3. High quality

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BB4AECI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fii0 D07 

"Here are just a few of the devices supported: Digital TVs and HDTVs CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD players Apple TV, Google TV (Revue) Game consoles: PS3 (All), XBOX 360 (Slim) Satellite/Cable receivers and DVRs, TiVO AV Receivers and Integrated Amplifiers Digital media players and streamers "

Schiit Tech
Then that’s the one you should buy.   Nick T.

Schiit Tech
tech@schiit.com

ME I sure will

Thanks

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #4,200 of 4,971

so I was looking for a DAC I can connect to my Vali Amp I was going to get the Modi DAC but seems it is not compatible with DOLBY/DTS/PCM like the Fii0 D07 cheaper and better then Modi amp even the schiit tech said I should buy the FiiO D07 over the Modi DAC

Here is the conversation

ME is your optical input Modi DAC Compatible with DOLBY/DTS and PCM ?

Schiit Tech No, the same for any other 2-channel DAC.
  Nick T.

Schiit Tech
tech@schiit.com

ME the Fii0 D07 can

FiiO D07 Advanced Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 96kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC

Compatible with DOLBY/DTS/PCM, Supporting kinds of digital audio decoding, professional signal conversion
  1. Classicl metal style with eternal value
  2. User friendly design, easy and humane operation to simplify the life
  3. High quality

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BB4AECI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fii0 D07 

"Here are just a few of the devices supported: Digital TVs and HDTVs CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD players Apple TV, Google TV (Revue) Game consoles: PS3 (All), XBOX 360 (Slim) Satellite/Cable receivers and DVRs, TiVO AV Receivers and Integrated Amplifiers Digital media players and streamers "

Schiit Tech
Then that’s the one you should buy.   Nick T.

Schiit Tech
tech@schiit.com

ME I sure will

Thanks

I'm sure this belongs in the Modi forum, but I can pretty clearly see the line of reasoning from Schiit. 

I believe most sources of Dolby and DTS are 5.1 streams, so 6 channels. 2 Channel DACs are only meant for 2 channel material. I'm not sure what method Fiio uses, but somehow they are taking 6 channels and converting it to 2. You're not getting a true Dolby or DTS signal out of those RCA jacks.

In addition, Schiit really isn't "into" all those different codecs, file types, etc. There's a lot of gimmicky marketing stuff around Dolby audio, DTS, or other "submersive surround sound" software. In my experience all of them drastically reduce the sound quality you're getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back