Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Jan 18, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #1,636 of 1,757
another LA900 owner

giphy.gif

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,640 of 1,757
Similar vibe here, sold my US5, loved the way it sounded. Instead of re-buying, I've got 394ii coming for demo soon. Anyone had the chance to compare side by side? Tbh, i think it's a forgone conclusion if it's got 465 DNA but always keen to hear others impressions!

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #1,641 of 1,757
Considering the US5 Pro, it would be used along with a Hugo 2 as DAC, and Diana MR. Other option is simply to continue with what I have right now, the Hugo 2 on its own. Any thoughts on what the US5 Pro would bring to the table and synergy with the Abyss?

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #1,642 of 1,757
Considering the US5 Pro, it would be used along with a Hugo 2 as DAC, and Diana MR. Other option is simply to continue with what I have right now, the Hugo 2 on its own. Any thoughts on what the US5 Pro would bring to the table and synergy with the Abyss?
FWIW:

And when demoing the 1266 (NOT the MR yet) a couple of times i never noticed/heard the “sucked out”/dipped mids that I have read about

- and it’s great with the susvara you have listed in your signature…and that is me using my may kte and my aries g2.1, the streamer that i unfortunately had to sell.

ps also, for me, the susvaras are magical and I did not get the same sense/excitement/magic when demoing the 1266, so never seriously considered spending that money for one of these at its usual price based on what I heard. It’s a good headphone but…..not for me at that price

again, i have not heard the MR yet, and my above comments are re the 1266

However:
one key attribute that the us4 brings me apart from power, is added texture and a bit of weight to the notes across the whole spectrum

hope that helps a little if comparing to what your are after in your set up and the MR

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #1,643 of 1,757
I had hugo2go to us5pro to Diana phi (the version before tc). As I remember, US5Pro definitely gave a boost to the dynamics and soundstage vs using headphones jack on hugo2. The difference might not be day and night once volume was matched as hugo2 was already able to drive Diana phi very well. It's hard to argue if it is worth the money adding US5Pro to Hugo2.

However, Hugo 2 was never my favorite DAC with US5Pro as it sounded a bit flat and lacked layers to my taste. Once I switch my DAC to YGGY LIM, the synergy was so much better to my ears. This combo worked super good on any headphones I threw on them.

My two cents, if portability and space is critical to you, there is probably no need to spend an extra $5k on niimbus only for Diana. If you will change your DAC later and have plans for using other headphones like the susvara in your signature, I would say niimbus would be a good addition.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #1,644 of 1,757
Thanks for the replies, most helpful. The Susvara & Envy is my setup for those times I want to be away from screens and just listen to music. The Diana & Hugo is my day-to-day setup whereby I work from home. I will give this some thought but my initial feeling is that its probably not best for me to buy the US5P as to be fair I am quite happy with the Hugo 2 just now, and should spend more time with it and the Diana before revisiting the US5 (or other Violectrics).

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #1,645 of 1,757
Anyone tried or owns the mm500 with the niimbus amp?

I demoed the mm500, with a Hugo tt2, and I somewhat enjoyed it.

Curious to read sound impressions of it with the niimbus (and tube amps)

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #1,646 of 1,757

Most linear and clean Sounding Solid State amp should be perfect for MM500, even something not expensive like Aune S17 Pro.

With Tube Amp a bit hit and miss though. Some of Tube Amps that I like such Feliks Envy and Cayin HA300 II made sound a bit "wonky", as the Midrange become too much, and notes become dull (too rounded).

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #1,647 of 1,757
went to the dark side, wa33 Elite Edition, enjoy us5 pro owners.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #1,648 of 1,757

@thecrow IMHO MM-500 prefers solid state amps than tube ones. This is the least enjoyable headphones I have and have heard out of Envy regardless of installed tubes. As a side not I really like those with Burr-brown base dacs but they sound fine with TT2 too like you have noticed already. In fact they do sound better straight out of TT2 than Envy IMHO. The open question is do you need / want very transparent and clean amp without any colouring to be paired with MM-500.

I've heard Niimbus with few headphones and I must say I completely don't understand hype around it unless you can live with broken volume control and have very specific taste and headphones (like Abbys). I've also spend some time with MM-500 out of THX based amp and I must say this has not been the best synergy those cans can demonstrate. I'd say an amp with a small touch of warmth can be a benefit for MM-500 but this is all so subjective and matter of taste. Could be also very connected with music you are listening. MM-500 are great for grunge and some very few jazz albums, but overall for jazz I prefer Meze Empys. I do not think MM-500 are good for classical recordings. Rock and similar genres are fine.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #1,649 of 1,757
I don't know if this has been noticed before. I tried to use the balance control yesterday. If I turn the knob to the right, the right volume would go up while left go down. If I turn the knob the other way, the right volume will go down but the left volume will not go up. I first thought my unit could be defective, so I submitted a ticket to violectric customer support. I was advised that this was normal and the amp was designed to be like this to minimize crosstalk.

Interesting 🤔

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #1,650 of 1,757
Also to be found in the manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back