Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #1,666 of 1,729
The Niimbus can provide enough juice to drive a Susvara to the deepest lows ?
It definitely has juice, but what are the deepest lows?
Don’t forget the dac and the streamer will also need to help and measure up in this regard. ie the whole chain needs to be considered for the susvara

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #1,668 of 1,729
...too sad that this amp is flying under the radar on youtube (and the internet). I can't find any serious review of it. Anyway....
This review of @project86 remains one of the most comprehensive reviews of the Niimbus I have seen, in case you have not read it yet.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #1,669 of 1,729
This review of @project86 remains one of the most comprehensive reviews of the Niimbus I have seen, in case you have not read it yet.
Absolutely.

Problem is he came back to say he preferred the silver fox amp a bit more after that was released.

I’m very happy with the niimbus though and second hand prices of the few niimbuses out there are great prices for buyers rather than sellers thanks to the lack of hype on it

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #1,670 of 1,729
What's the plural of Nimbus anyway?

Niimbusses
Nimbae?
Nimbusters?
Nimbusybees?

Other than that Niimbus is a great match for the Susvara but as always it's a matter of your whole chain so take good care of how you match your components.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #1,671 of 1,729
What's the plural of Nimbus anyway?

Niimbusses
Nimbae?
Nimbusters?
Nimbusybees?

Other than that Niimbus is a great match for the Susvara but as always it's a matter of your whole chain so take good care of how you match your components.

Nimbii

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #1,672 of 1,729
Absolutely.

Problem is he came back to say he preferred the silver fox amp a bit more after that was released.

I’m very happy with the niimbus though and second hand prices of the few niimbuses out there are great prices for buyers rather than sellers thanks to the lack of hype on it

This is true but I'd like to add some context if I may.

The Niimbus was my reference for over 5 years, which is a rather long time under the circumstances. Keep in mind during that time I tried the vast majority of high-end amps on the market. I found many which I enjoyed quite a bit, yet nothing quite knocked the Niimbus out of the #1 spot until the Silver Fox. That's a very good run!

Another data point is that I haven't been able to bring myself to sell the Niimbus despite it being displaced. It's just so good that when I consider the amount I would get for it, I'd rather keep it around. I still consider it one of the very best amplifiers in the world regardless of price.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #1,673 of 1,729
A neutral amp can still be impactful / musical / engaging ?
@Weissenborn I agree with @vonBaron that Niimbus is a transparent amp, but not clinical and dry like some THX based amps for example (Mytek Liberty THX AAA HPA comes to my mind since I have it for some time so it is easier for me to relate to it). Is it musical? Maybe, but that is more job of a dac I'd say than amp in this case. It is not as musical as Chord TT2 alone for example and is not musical as AuroraSound HEADA, but it is neutral and it will be engaging if this is what you are looking for. It is also very dynamic, fast and hard slamming amp. If you like bass, especially artificial one and looking for a headphones with a lot of bass it maybe the right choice for you.

The unit I have been listening too had issues with sound quality while playing with volume control and for me at this price level this was not acceptable, but than again YMMV and maybe this has been fixed along the way.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #1,674 of 1,729
What's the plural of Niimbus anyway?
In the nominative case, if a second declension Latin noun, plural is "Niimbi"; if a fourth declension Latin noun, plural is "Niimbus". 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #1,675 of 1,729
In the nominative case, if a second declension Latin noun, plural is "Niimbi"; if a fourth declension Latin noun, plural is "Niimbus". 🤷🏻‍♂️
Now this is the content I come here for... I took four years of Latin in high school... you know, back when Declension IV was Imperator.

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #1,676 of 1,729
This is the content that helps one choose audio gear ... 🤪👍

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #1,678 of 1,729
I'm sorry to bother you folks but since there is not much information (sound characteristics) of this amp on the net I need to do it this way....

This my first try going deeper down the rabbithole.

Thanks for your patience and help....

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #1,679 of 1,729
.... better to go down the rabbit hole willingly than
IMG_7607.jpeg
🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #1,680 of 1,729
I'm sorry to bother you folks but since there is not much information (sound characteristics) of this amp on the net I need to do it this way....

This my first try going deeper down the rabbithole.

Thanks for your patience and help....
All good.

1711403447357.gif

My tip would be find a second hand one from a good seller, i’m guessing for about $2.5k and it will be money well spent for the susvaras

1711403210763.gif

But that doesn’t really account for personal taste so i can’t guarantee that either but if you sell it you won’t loae much.

I bought mine new and from memory about 15% off rrp. It was an indulgent purchase for me (at this price). I bought it because i was setting up my system for the susvaras.

1711403279827.gif

If i didn’t want/love the susvaras then i wouldn’t have gone this path and would have spent less, as for me, the amp could be considered a bit overkill for non power hungry hps, at rrp.

I probably would have stuck with my v280 for quite a while longer, or moved to a tube amp maybe,,,,,

1711403363918.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back