NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #91 of 463
LOL so this is something I never found out so I wanted to get an official answer from Schiit.

Then I saw now they have a Schiit A.I. Chat Robot name The SchiitTalker. :joy:

So I asked Is True Multibit™ DAC with Unison USB™ based off Modi Multibit 1 or Modi Multibit 2?

This is the answer I got:

Screenshot 2023-12-10 095654.jpg

I send an e-mail to humans too just in case, but I still find it impressive that the A.I. response is so well LOL.

EDIT: Asking so we know if the DAC Card that come with Pietus Maximus would be more representative of MMB1 or MMB2.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #92 of 463
The SchiitTalker AI guesses a lot.

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #94 of 463
LOL so this is something I never found out so I wanted to get an official answer from Schiit.

Then I saw now they have a Schiit A.I. Chat Robot name The SchiitTalker. :joy:

So I asked Is True Multibit™ DAC with Unison USB™ based off Modi Multibit 1 or Modi Multibit 2?

The first Multibit DAC card was based off the first Modi Multibit. They both have USB-B connectors and use Gen 5 USB.

The second (and current) Multibit DAC card is based off the second (and current) Modi Multibit. They both have USB-C connectors and use Unison USB.

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #95 of 463
The first Multibit DAC card was based off the first Modi Multibit. They both have USB-B connectors and use Gen 5 USB.

The second (and current) Multibit DAC card is based off the second (and current) Modi Multibit. They both have USB-C connectors and use Unison USB.
Yeah that's what I suspected.

Seems like from the review they recommend MMB1 or ES9028 card.

So does that mean by extension the current gen Multibit card (MMB2) is actually NOT a good match to the Pietus? Is it better to go with the ES9028 card then?

Though I might wait for more reviews before drawing any conclusions, but so far it feels that way?

That's where my confusion comes from. :sweat_smile:

EDIT: it would basically be equivalent to pair it with Modius or MMB2 right?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #96 of 463
Yeah that's what I suspected.

Seems like from the review they recommend MMB1 or ES9028 card.

So does that mean by extension the current gen Multibit card (MMB2) is actually NOT a good match to the Pietus? Is it better to go with the ES9028 card then?

Though I might wait for more reviews before drawing any conclusions, but so far it feels that way?

That's where my confusion comes from. :sweat_smile:

EDIT: it would basically be equivalent to pair it with Modius or MMB2 right?

IMHO, the sonic differences between the MM1 and MM2 DAC cards will be very subtle, and would only be noticeable to the most picky of listeners.

But the sonic differences between either of the MM cards compared to the 9028 card will be much more significant, and will come down to whether you prefer the sonic characteristics of a delta-sigma DAC or a multibit DAC.

If you want a highly resolving but somewhat clinical sound, go with the 9028 card. If you want a more natural sound that brings out more of the music's tone and texture, go with the MM2 card.

The choice is yours. :darthsmile:

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #97 of 463
I preferred MMB1 because of it's more euphoric presentation and that's absolutely down to preference. MMB2 was more of a cross between the two and honestly, if the card is more like MMB2 would be a good middle ground.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #98 of 463
Oof, this with the MMB DAC card sounds like the ultimate all-in-one. Probably better than Asgard 3. But $750...I know that's not bad for what you're getting but I don't think I can spend that right now. :frowning2: I know these Nitsch x Schiit products tend to be limited edition, and I don't want to miss out...

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #99 of 463
I know these Nitsch x Schiit products tend to be limited edition, and I don't want to miss out...
It looks to me like the Pietus Maximus will be a continuing product for Nitsch. But just like Nitsch's other 3 products, it will be made in relatively small batches. And once that batch has sold out, there may be a period of time where it is no longer available to purchase, and will only be available for 'pre-order' until the next batch is ready to ship. Currently, Nitsch's DSHA-3FN amp and JAR600 headphones are in 'pre-order' status.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #100 of 463
Oof, this with the MMB DAC card sounds like the ultimate all-in-one. Probably better than Asgard 3. But $750...I know that's not bad for what you're getting but I don't think I can spend that right now. :frowning2: I know these Nitsch x Schiit products tend to be limited edition, and I don't want to miss out...

Yeah I super feel this. I just got a Midgard/Modius stack last week and then this came out and I'm having serious FOMO. I really want the P-Max (love that name lol) but can't justify that added expense over the stack right now. I think it may have to be an upgrade for me after I use the Midgard for a while. I'm upgrading from a Fulla 2 so it's a huge upgrade for me as it is.

It looks to me like the Pietus Maximus will be a continuing product for Nitsch. But just like Nitsch's other 3 products, it will be made in relatively small batches. And once that batch has sold out, there may be a period of time where it is no longer available to purchase, and will only be available for 'pre-order' until the next batch is ready to ship. Currently, Nitsch's DSHA-3FN amp and JAR600 headphones are in 'pre-order' status.

That's great to know. There is definitely a feeling of "gotta buy now now now" for limited edition products. I like to sit and think about purchases long and hard so having some space to do so feels good.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #101 of 463
I just got a Midgard/Modius stack last week and then this came out and I'm having serious FOMO.
Totally feel you, I just bought a DAC/amp combo 2 weeks ago. Now I feel like I should sell it first before I can justify buying the PMax (really tempted to call it Max Pee Pee).
There is definitely a feeling of "gotta buy now now now" for limited edition products. I like to sit and think about purchases long and hard so having some space to do so feels good.
Same with this, usually I like to do all my research and think long and hard before I make a purchase.

But right now it being limited edition made me feel like I have to buy now, but also it's new so there's only 1-2 review out there so it's hard to "research".

But now it's extra confusing because of the dac card option. I previously had MMB1 and MMB2 and I definitely like the tonal balance better on MMB1, MMB2 to me sounds too lean/bright.

So it's like do I hunt down MMB1 somewhere or buy it with the ES9028 card instead? Or get no card and deal with dac later LOL? So many choices and so limited time.

Pietus shopping experience has been like deer in headlights. :joy:

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #102 of 463
I have a limited budget so it would have to be the ESS card if I were to get it now AND I'd have to return/sell off the current stack. If I got the PMax with no card I could use it with my Modius but that would cost me even more!

Probably best to wait, see what all the reviews say and buy it as an upgrade once I have disposable cash saved. In the ideal world I'd love to hear it next to the Midgard to see if it's even worth it for me. I'm still very much a noobie to the audiophile world so I'm still learning my preferences.

It's hard to say if it would actually be +$300 better than the Midgard because any research I can actually do is folks expressing their opinions for the most part! Which is the beauty and curse of audiophilea, it really comes down to personal preference, so "best" is a moving target you can only figure out for yourself.

It's probably better to drop that extra money into headphones anyway lol.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #103 of 463
I have a limited budget so it would have to be the ESS card if I were to get it now AND I'd have to return/sell off the current stack. If I got the PMax with no card I could use it with my Modius but that would cost me even more!

Probably best to wait, see what all the reviews say and buy it as an upgrade once I have disposable cash saved. In the ideal world I'd love to hear it next to the Midgard to see if it's even worth it for me. I'm still very much a noobie to the audiophile world so I'm still learning my preferences.

It's hard to say if it would actually be +$300 better than the Midgard because any research I can actually do is folks expressing their opinions for the most part! Which is the beauty and curse of audiophilea, it really comes down to personal preference, so "best" is a moving target you can only figure out for yourself.

It's probably better to drop that extra money into headphones anyway lol.
Hang onto a DAC whatever you do. I prefer not to have built in DAC.
If you hang onto the modius you can purchase just an amp and it's less expensive than with a DAC card. I'd rather have a modius than either DAC card, enjoy what you have as well and maybe save for pietus if you want.

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #104 of 463
Thanks, I'll heed your advice!

This may be silly but I'm actually disappointed the Pietus has the expansion slot. I really like having discreet units and don't like the idea of having a switch in the front of my amp that does nothing if no expansion card is installed. In my opinion there is something nice about stand alone units that do a very good job at just one thing.

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #105 of 463
Thanks, I'll heed your advice!

This may be silly but I'm actually disappointed the Pietus has the expansion slot. I really like having discreet units and don't like the idea of having a switch in the front of my amp that does nothing if no expansion card is installed. In my opinion there is something nice about stand alone units that do a very good job at just one thing.
Agreed a standalone unit would be nice but you already have modius which is as good if not better than both newer DAC cards. If you climb the dac ladder a bit more you'll be downgrading to have all on one. Plus you have modius so you're basically there. I have piety, jot 2 and pietus on the way plus a nice tube amp and I still want to hear your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back