Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #2,851 of 2,863
According to the Schiit website the Valhalla 2 will work very well with low impedance cans. I did some investigation of the V2 and was surprised to discover that this model was first released in 2019. Schiit are asking $US300 while the Australian price is $830. I am tempted to see if I can get a used one online.
I love my valhalla2, but with low impedance planars, it sounds broken. And the v2 came out long before 2019.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #2,852 of 2,863
I have both the HD580 and the HD 650 and it sounds as if the Valhalla 2 would do a better job than the Asgard 3. The price it's currently selling for at my local HiFi store is a bit off putting at almost twice the price. It would make sense to buy directly from Schiit themselves which is what I did for my Asgard 3.

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #2,853 of 2,863
I sold my Asgard 3 when I bought my Vahalla 2. When I bought my silver Asgard 3 they were selling for $200 new and it was definitely the best money I'd spent on audio equipment going back to 1973. It's a great solid state headphone amp.

Funny how we all hear differently, sold my Valhalla 2 and picked up an Asgard 3 and later a Vali 2++. Got tired of the tube rolling angst...now I roll (rarely) just one tube.

Asgards are great values. Last year, found a NIB Asgard 2 on ebay for $99 and snapped that up to create a listening station in another room (also serves as a space heater :wink:)

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #2,855 of 2,863
Funny how we all hear differently, sold my Valhalla 2 and picked up an Asgard 3 and later a Vali 2++. Got tired of the tube rolling angst...now I roll (rarely) just one tube.

Asgards are great values. Last year, found a NIB Asgard 2 on ebay for $99 and snapped that up to create a listening station in another room (also serves as a space heater :wink:)
I had an Asgard 2, it's a little cook stove. I had a Vali 2++ and it's a great little amp. For the Vahalla 2 I bought a pair of Amperex orange globes and called it good. They were recommended on the Vahalla tube rolling thread and I've been very happy with them.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #2,856 of 2,863
I had an Asgard 2, it's a little cook stove. I had a Vali 2++ and it's a great little amp. For the Vahalla 2 I bought a pair of Amperex orange globes and called it good. They were recommended on the Vahalla tube rolling thread and I've been very happy with them.

Makes sense for the Valhalla 2 /Amperex combo glad you like it :beerchug:

Like the Vali 2++ as well...that said, we have a room that 'needs' an amp; will probably add a Vali 3 :wink:
Will pair it with a Modi 3+ that's sitting idle

The Asgard 2 & 3 are connected to an old Bifrost OG; nice sound for the $$$ I paid...Schiit makes good Schiit!

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #2,857 of 2,863
Makes sense for the Valhalla 2 /Amperex combo glad you like it :beerchug:

Like the Vali 2++ as well...that said, we have a room that 'needs' an amp; will probably add a Vali 3 :wink:
Will pair it with a Modi 3+ that's sitting idle

The Asgard 2 & 3 are connected to an old Bifrost OG; nice sound for the $$$ I paid...Schiit makes good Schiit!
I had a Bifrost 4490 and a Bifrost multibit. I liked them both. My original Modi Multibit with the firmware update brought the same sound to my system as the Bifrost multibit so I kept the Modi Multibit and still use it. I had a Modius AKM chip too and it was a nice DAC for a great price. I've only has the Modi 3E for a Schiit Sabre DAC and didn't keep it long. I might get their newest Modi+ to try out.

May 10, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #2,859 of 2,863
When does the Asgard 3 work in class A and when does it work better in low gain or high gain?
I think it’s on the product page - 1/2W is class A, not sure of the load off the top of my head. For sensitive headphones (or IEMs) high gain probably won’t leave much volume adjustment.

May 10, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #2,861 of 2,863
I've read that you should leave the amp in low gain for the best sound. But I've found that it depends on the source material and headphones that you use. So, I'm back and forth between high and low gain.
I do the same thing, but I think there is no doubt that at high gain the sound has more background noise and the instruments become a bit muddy.

May 10, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #2,862 of 2,863
I do the same thing, but I think there is no doubt that at high gain the sound has more background noise and the instruments become a bit muddy.
I think this depends a lot more on the sensitivity of the headphone or IEM you are using. More sensitive gear is generally better on low gain, less sensitive on high gain.

High gain makes headphones like the Empyrean and LCD-2C, and IEMs like IER-Z1R or Annihilator sound much more exciting and vibrant, with better depth and dynamics; on low gain they all sound flatter and limp by comparison.

YMMV of course, I really like having the option of high vs low on any of my Schiit amps, just one more way to tweak the sound to preference.

May 11, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #2,863 of 2,863
I just use the gain switch for proper volume control of which ever phone are plugged in haven't noticed any improvement or degradation of sound just more or less control over volume and have not experienced noise either way I am using the built in mult-bit via usb to the MBP with all music in lossless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back