Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Aug 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #664 of 3,339

Quote:
im sorry but i just cannot get over the name of the company.... how is that pronounced? Please tell me that it isnt pronounced how i think it is pronounced.

It's pronounced phonetically, emphasis on the Sch part. Pretty sure that it's ancient Norse for "awesome gear at a great price point".

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #665 of 3,339
Quote:

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
.  The Wire, best show ever...

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #666 of 3,339
so when is the xlr version gonna be out,volume control will be nice plus.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #667 of 3,339
I wish I knew how the bit frost would compare to the WM8741 NFB-2 I own, or even the dacs based off the Sabre chip.

Whereas one is warm, the other is considered neutral and revealing.  Where do you think the bitfrost will fit into the spectrum of revealing, or warmth?  I understand if you don't want to put any kind of perception into peoples minds.

Those that know about the higher end dacs that use the same chip as the bit frost, what kind of comparisons can you make to the current popular mainstream dac's(and their various implementations).

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #668 of 3,339
Subscribed! I am rather interested in this DAC and wonder if it will be a good pairing with my WA6SE/LCD-2 r.1. Time will certainly tell, once the reviews and comparisons start pouring in.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #669 of 3,339
Quote:
I wish I knew how the bit frost would compare to the WM8741 NFB-2 I own, or even the dacs based off the Sabre chip.

Whereas one is warm, the other is considered neutral and revealing.  Where do you think the bitfrost will fit into the spectrum of revealing, or warmth?  I understand if you don't want to put any kind of perception into peoples minds.

Those that know about the higher end dacs that use the same chip as the bit frost, what kind of comparisons can you make to the current popular mainstream dac's(and their various implementations).

I would venture it's closer to the WM8741.  The comments I've seen on this chip in forums/reviews tend to place it in the more musical/non-analytical spectrum.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #670 of 3,339

It's Bifrost (no T) :)

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #675 of 3,339
I've heard AK4396, but I don't know if it's similar to the 4399. Sound is rather on bright/analytical side than wolfson's warm and smooth. I've spoken to the guy who is DIY builder and I am pretty sure he tried almost all of the chips. In the end it all comes down to how someone implements the chip, but he said to me that AK4399 is like "more musical Sabre", you won't get that much details and revealing, but music is not sterile either and in the end he didn't like Sabre on discrete analog stage. He said that Sabre matched quite nice with tube amps and wanted to try tubes with Sabre, but eventually gave up because Sabre was pain in the ass to work with (chip, not company). On the other hand they use those AK's chips in Esoteric stuff so... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back