Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Aug 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #631 of 3,339

Quote:
I was not meaning to imply you could use the USB as an output. The point I was trying to make is I wish Schiit had/have a DAC on the market that allowed me to use it as a ADC to record some of my LPs.

Have you seen the Furutech GT40? It's a DAC, headphone amp and ADC for US$525. Not de Schiit, true, but might be just what you're seeking. Oops, I think I went OT...  Of course, if Schiit wanted to make such a product I'd preorder immediately, but Jason doesn't seem to favor the kitchen sink approach. Lean and mean seems to be the company slogan in both business model and product.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #633 of 3,339

Quote:
Hero Kid said:

I was not meaning to imply you could use the USB as an output. The point I was trying to make is I wish Schiit had/have a DAC on the market that allowed me to use it as a ADC to record some of my LPs.

Quote:
Have you seen the Furutech GT40? It's a DAC, headphone amp and ADC for US$525. Not de Schiit, true, but might be just what you're seeking. Oops, I think I went OT...  Of course, if Schiit wanted to make such a product I'd preorder immediately, but Jason doesn't seem to favor the kitchen sink approach. Lean and mean seems to be the company slogan in both business model and product.

Forgot to mention the GT40 is also a phono preamp. Senior moment.

That GT40 is one heckofa piece of gear, if it was 192 kHz it would be perfect for ripping vinyl. As it sits it still looks pretty good at 96 kHz and what I have read about it is all pretty positive.

The Firestone Fubar USB I/O uses its USB port in a bi-directional capability as well. It's only 48 kHz though.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #634 of 3,339
Grokit-

Entirely agree with you, especially about the 192 Khz. In fact, this thing has tempted me in the past but I've waited just in case Furutech does upgrade to 192 in the near future.

And as a big fan of HHGttG and Douglas Adams (RIP), I appreciate your avatar...

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #635 of 3,339
Ah yes the GT40. It looks good on paper but does someone actually have one to review? (I haven't read all 43 pages of this thread.) Its phono stage supports MM and MC which is a definite +. There are a number of choices out there in the $600+ price range but MM/MC support + USB DAC makes it look like a relative bargain. I am partial to Japanese equipment and Furutech is obviously a well-known name. No one seems to know much about the Luxman DA-200 either so I may have to take the plunge.

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #636 of 3,339
^ The headphone amp on the GT40 is supposed to be pretty decent as well if your cans aren't too demanding.
I can't wait to read some impressions on the Bifrost though and get some information on the next one down the pipeline, that balanced one really interests me
popcorn.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #637 of 3,339
I think that the next DAC along will be in a different chassis. Which may cause a need to buy another Schiit amp to match. :)

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #639 of 3,339
I think it was mentioned that the next two DACs after the Bifrost will use a different chassis.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #640 of 3,339
I remember a different chassis being stated as well.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #641 of 3,339
Same style chassis? Yes.
Same size? No.

So yeah, different chassis.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #644 of 3,339

Quote:
I disagree. Schiit prides themselves on keeping cost as low as possible, and that is made possible by no-nonsense chassis that are all pretty much exactly the same. All the DACs should look pretty much alike.

If you think about it, the larger chassis had to come.  I agree that Schiit keeps costs down by limiting style choices etc but with the statement amp coming out I would doubt that all of the required power supply and components would physically fit within the Lyr chassis.  Even the Lyr is quite full as it is...and possibly why most peoples first impressions when unpacking it is that it is built like a brick.

Jason- Do you have any other tidbits of information that you are able to release to help us pass time whilst counting down to 30 September?  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back