Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #1,126 of 7,050
Quote:
I've had the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo for about 3 months now. I'm torn between the feeling that I made a mistake in buying it and the feeling like I got a great combo. They do sound great but when going from track to track the Gungnir has an annoying habit of emitting an anoying, high-pitched crackling sound whenever the source material changes bit rates or sampling rates. I don't feel the muting circuit is not doing it's job well enough. Is this a problem for anyone else?

Not on my unit, no. Some nice clicking noise, which I love, when my Mac Mini is restarting. But no "annoying high pitched noise", no.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,127 of 7,050
No noises at all out of my stack except every so often I will hear the very faint click of a relay. Almost never though.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,128 of 7,050
No strange noises here either, just some clicks when a cd starts or stops, that's all :D

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #1,129 of 7,050
I am just loving this DAC.
It slays my recently departed Bifrost/ûber.

Beautiful

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,130 of 7,050
Just to add weight to the sample size, no clicks or pops from my Gungnir either.

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #1,131 of 7,050
Quote:
I've had the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo for about 3 months now. I'm torn between the feeling that I made a mistake in buying it and the feeling like I got a great combo. They do sound great but when going from track to track the Gungnir has an annoying habit of emitting an anoying, high-pitched crackling sound whenever the source material changes bit rates or sampling rates. I don't feel the muting circuit is doing it's job well enough. Is this a problem for anyone else?

If you haven't done so all ready, please contact Schiit! I had a problem with  my Gungnir that they went to great lengths to correct. Their customer service is second to none!!! 

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #1,132 of 7,050
Here is something fun that I don't think anyone has posted about (I searched this thread only).

I read a review online that mentioned they used a native C-Media ASIO driver when using the Gungnir. This made me curious because it seemed this C-Media ASIO was not installed with the Windows driver package. The only way I knew of using ASIO was with ASIO4All (or ASIO2ks).

Here is how to use the C-Media ASIO. Note: Try this at your own risk, I doubt this driver is officially supported.

1. If you didn't keep the Shiit Audio driver package ZIP then download it from their website.

2. Unzip the package, open the folder and you'll find 4 folders corresponding to different Windows versions. Open the folder for your version of Windows. Inside that folder should be a folder named SoftwareDriver, open that folder to find a folder named DLL.

3. The CMUACWOASIO.DLL and CMUACWOASIO64.DLL files inside the DLL folder are what you want. Copy those two files and paste them into your Windows folder (probably C:\Windows\).

4. Open a Command Prompt (click Start button, click Run, type cmd.exe OR find it in All Programs - Accessories).

5. At the Command Prompt type:   regsvr32 "C:\Windows\CMUACWOASIO.DLL"
      then press enter and type:  regsvr32 "C:\Windows\CMUACWOASIO64.DLL"
      and press enter again. If you pasted the two .DLL files somewhere else you'll have to change the C:\Windows path accordingly.

Now if you open foobar, xmplay, ulilith or whatever your using you should find another available output probably called ASIO for C-Media USB. If you don't see the output listed, restart your computer. The control panel only has two options: bit-depth and latency (4 ms works for me).

If the step-by-step instructions left you a little confused the basic process to use the C-Media ASIO driver is: Copy the CMUACWOASIO.DLL and CMUACWOASIO64.DLL files from the driver package to your system folder and register those two .DLL's from a command prompt.

If you want to uninstall the C-Media ASIO driver then enter these two commands from a command prompt: 
         regsvr32 /u "C:\Windows\CMUACWOASIO.DLL"
         regsvr32 /u "C:\Windows\CMUACWOASIO64.DLL"
     Then delete the two .DLL files.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #1,133 of 7,050
Is there some advantage to doing this, or just for the sake of trying something different?

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,134 of 7,050
I agree, burn-in is legit. I wasn't satisfied with the sound of my bifrost for the first few days after receiving it, but something happened that changed my mind. The only thing I can attribute the change to is time used. I was ready to return it but the sound just gets more real with time. My only problem now is should I return it and get the Gungnir? Somebody help.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,135 of 7,050
I agree, burn-in is legit. I wasn't satisfied with the sound of my bifrost for the first few days after receiving it, but something happened that changed my mind. The only thing I can attribute the change to is time used. I was ready to return it but the sound just gets more real with time. My only problem now is should I return it and get the Gungnir? Somebody help.

I had a Bifrost Über for some time. It was great. That said, I don't regret replacing it with a Gungnir at all. It's that good.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #1,136 of 7,050
^ You were great? Cool! How was the bifrost uber? :wink: :p

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,138 of 7,050
Is there some advantage to doing this, or just for the sake of trying something different?

I was having trouble with Foobar and ASIO. All recent versions of Foobar have been giving me errors when using ASIO4ALL. A box pops up during playback that says something about a timeout. It got very annoying as the music would suddenly stop every few minutes and I'd have to close the box and whatever song was playing would restart at the beginning.
  When I saw mention of the C-Media chip having it's own ASIO driver I thought I would see if it would remedy the problem. It helped, but didn't fix it completely; so I went back to XMPlay, which I'd used years ago. I have absolutely no problems with XMPlay. Another player I like that I recently discovered and hasn't given me any problems yet is uLilith.
  Anyway, back to ASIO, I've continued using the C-Media ASIO because I like that it offers me the exact settings the chip was designed for (latency specifically). I figure that any driver that is made for a specific product would be the better option than something that is a general or fits all driver.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,139 of 7,050
My pleasure :wink: Actually, people like me are a PITA! Years of marking students' essays, studies and exam papers I'm afraid.

But seriously, what were the key differences going from UB to Gungnir? Was the comparison single-ended, or were the benefits with Gungnir's balanced mode?

Cheers

Thanks for proofing my manuscriff.
Ûber good

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #1,140 of 7,050
Jason let me try one with my amp at the LA meet.
That was single ended.  I felt there was more music with more life that I ordered one the next day.

Since I have converted my amp to XLR balanced.  I am extremely pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back