Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,141 of 7,050
Add....

Yes, having a balanced interface was a big factor in making the jump, as I had planned to add one to my amp.
However,  I auditioned it with a single ended interface and I was very impressed.

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,143 of 7,050
Is the new USB board for the gungnir better than the toslink optical?
I'm deciding if it's worth it to pay the extra 100 for USB since I can always use the optical out on my MacBook and on my AK100

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,144 of 7,050
Quote:
I'm deciding if it's worth it to pay the extra 100 for USB since I can always use the optical out on my MacBook and on my AK100

For me.
Tough to say.
I was operating my Bifrost toslink from my Mac for about a year.
I ordered the USB for the LA meet so others could plug in their source.  Then a week later I ordered my Gungnir and installed  the USB 2.

I've been on USB ever since.
If you wish I can easily switch to Toslink for a bit to provide a comparison from a Neanderthal.
I suspect I won't be able to tell.

The Gungnir will support 192kHz on Toslink, but that doesn't matter because the Mac will only go to 96kHz optical.
Again, I doubt you'll hear a difference, but it's a heck-of-a interface.

Keep this in mind.  Adding a USB2 to the Gungnir is twice as difficult as a Bifrost Uber upgrade.  The board is larger and harder to handle.
The LED's were a challenge to put back in the Bifrost.   Double that for the Gungnir.

If you decide on the USB2 get it from the factory. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,145 of 7,050

Hmm, I think I hear a difference, but I couldn't tell you exactly what it is (Note: My Gungnir has the updated USB board). What I can tell you is that when I want to listen to 24 bit files stored on my computer; I use the USB connection. When I want to listen to an album that I have on CD and stored on the computer at the same (CD quality) resolution; I listen to it with a CD-player on the optical connection. Even though the USB playback would be more convenient, I still go find the CD and load it in the player; so the optical interface must sound better to me or I wouldn't bother using it.
  As sceleratus said, it is better to just get USB installed from the factory if your going to get it. I would say that for now you would be fine without USB and just use the optical connection. Remember this though: If you want or need a USB connection in the future it may cost more than $100 to add it either as an external USB to SPDIF converter or Schiit add-in board.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #1,146 of 7,050
Quote:

Hmm, I think I hear a difference, but I couldn't tell you exactly what it is (Note: My Gungnir has the updated USB board). What I can tell you is that when I want to listen to 24 bit files stored on my computer; I use the USB connection. When I want to listen to an album that I have on CD and stored on the computer at the same (CD quality) resolution; I listen to it with a CD-player on the optical connection. Even though the USB playback would be more convenient, I still go find the CD and load it in the player; so the optical interface must sound better to me or I wouldn't bother using it.
&nbsp As sceleratus said, it is better to just get USB installed from the factory if your going to get it. I would say that for now you would be fine without USB and just use the optical connection. Remember this though: If you want or need a USB connection in the future it may cost more than $100 to add it either as an external USB to SPDIF converter or Schiit add-in board.

To add it later it's $100 to do it yourself and $150 plus shipping to send it in and have Schiit do it.  If you are handy it's certainly doable, but you have to be very methodical and watch the bank of LED's.  They are exposed and easy to forget and smash.  You'll need very long needle nose pliers to seat them back in the holes in the case.   The Bifrost was pretty easy because it is half the size.  THe Gungnir board is another thing.  I wasn't ready for that.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,147 of 7,050
We're just talking about an interface here right? I would think one of the only reasons you'd buy the USB module is if you have no toslink/coax/bnc spdif source.

I'm sure the Gungnir doesn't care as much as some people probably do over the kind of cable and interface. It's getting 1's and 0's and as long as it's not inherently too jittery everything should be the same. 

My two cents, buy it if you need the interface, or save your money and use the (very solid) spdif interfaces.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,148 of 7,050
Quote:
We're just talking about an interface here right? I would think the only reasons you'd buy the USB module is if you have no toslink/coax/bnc spdif source.

I'm sure the Gungnir doesn't care as much as some people probably do over what kind of cable and interface it's getting it's 1's and 0's from as long as it's not inherently too jittery. 

My two cents, buy it if you need the interface, or save your money and use the (very solid) spdif interfaces.

+1

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,150 of 7,050
I looked up iFi products.  Although interesting, IMO, the biggest feature of the Gungnir is the Adapti Clock, or the ability to fix marginal inbound signals.  I love gadgets, but IMO, again, I think the return would be marginal with a Gungnir and you have an extra box to put someplace and an extra cable.  

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I didn't get the Gemini Cable. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #1,151 of 7,050
Quote:

The difference that you are hearing may not be from the interface, but the transport. Have you tried the CD player with a coaxial connection to the Gungnir?

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #1,152 of 7,050
I looked up iFi products.  Although interesting, IMO, the biggest feature of the Gungnir is the Adapti Clock, or the ability to fix marginal inbound signals.  I love gadgets, but IMO, again, I think the return would be marginal with a Gungnir and you have an extra box to put someplace and an extra cable.  

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I didn't get the Gemini Cable. 

The iUSB i think stabilizes the 5V part of things and offers also another port with just the 5V DC. One cable in the Gemini cable pair takes only the data from the former (the data + 5V port) while the other takes only the 5V and ground from the latter (5V only port) . The cable then combines these at the USB B plug at the DAC.

I wonder if this might improve the Gungnir... Does it use the 5/0V from the conputer at all? I doubt it would do much if the dac doesn't need 5V from the pc...?

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #1,153 of 7,050
That's a great path to go down, I think high-end usb cables should all isolate the power if they cost real $ but what do I know.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,154 of 7,050

The difference that you are hearing may not be from the interface, but the transport. Have you tried the CD player with a coaxial connection to the Gungnir?

At first I thought you were calling the CD player a transport; but I guess you mean the cable as the transport of data. I have only briefly tried it just to check functionality. I don't have a coaxial cable that's as good as my optical; so if you believe in cable differences then my significantly better optical cable will give it an advantage anyway. My USB cable is "audiophile grade", but might not be as good as the optical cable either. All I know is that, with this equipment, my ears/brain prefer the CD played over optical instead of the ripped CD played over USB.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,155 of 7,050
Bought the Gungnir w/ USB board the other day! Excited for it to get here. I'm guessing it doesn't come with a USB cable (I haven't read anything about including one). I'm not cable crazy or interested in super expensive cables at the moment. I'm just looking for a recommendation for a good shielded cable. "Audiophile grade" would be interesting to me, but one under or around $30 is preferable.

Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back