Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Nov 2, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #5,178 of 5,228
With 6922 —> 6SN7 adapter, have you tried 6922 (premium 6DJ8) or 7308 (premium 6922)?

🤔: Amperex PQ 6922, Amperex PQ 7308, Genalex / Gold Lion 6922, Philips BEL E88CC …

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #5,179 of 5,228
Have only a J. J. Tesla 6922, that I don't care too much for. (It was left over from the KingSound M-20 that I had sold a while back.)
No 7308 yet.
Besides the mil-spec Sylvania 6DJ8--which I recently bought and am enjoying quite a bit, I also have gotten to like the Russian 6N23N-EB (also a leftover from amps gone-by).
If I see a good deal on a premium 6922, I might go for it. Thank you for the recommendations!
For the time-being, I'm content to remain blissfully ignorant (and fiscally solvent) .
:L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #5,180 of 5,228
I bought a Lyr 3 used, it has been trouble free. It came with no tube, I have had good luck with tube life, but recently two birth year 6SN7 tubes failed withing a month. I get it, they are old, my birth year was 1957. I, personally, could fail at any time. But still, two that close together? I would like to by a brand new 6Sn7 and run it for a while. I am more interested in reliability than ultimate sound. I just want to run it for several months and say, "OK the Lyr is good" or, "Wow, this thing eats tubes!" So I do not want to spend huge $$ on this tube. What new brands do people recommend?

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #5,182 of 5,228
I bought a Lyr 3 used, it has been trouble free. It came with no tube, I have had good luck with tube life, but recently two birth year 6SN7 tubes failed withing a month. I get it, they are old, my birth year was 1957. I, personally, could fail at any time. But still, two that close together? I would like to by a brand new 6Sn7 and run it for a while. I am more interested in reliability than ultimate sound. I just want to run it for several months and say, "OK the Lyr is good" or, "Wow, this thing eats tubes!" So I do not want to spend huge $$ on this tube. What new brands do people recommend?
Did the NOS tubes you bought come tested, with good test results?
I have older NOS tubes [1940's] that are still going strong.
Was going to say I never had any of my tube die on me yet, maybe it's the good thing about having multiple tubes. None of them gets used for thatttttttt long LOL.

But generally I find I don't have issue with reliability.

As for recommendation, it depending on the sound signature you're looking for.

I like CBS JAN 6SN7WGTA for more "fun" sound.

Sylvania 6J5GT x 2 if you want super wide soundstage, but need twin tube adapter. If you don't want to deal with adapter you could probably go with Sylvania 6SN7GT.

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #5,183 of 5,228
Did the NOS tubes you bought come tested, with good test results?
I have older NOS tubes [1940's] that are still going strong.
The tubes were tested and came from highly rated sellers on eBay. They sounded good when I started and they lasted more than a year. I was simply surprised that I had two failures close together.

About the tubes sounding "good." I do not sit around listening to the inky blackness between notes. I can hear the effect of using an adapter to put a 6SN7 in place of a smaller tube on my Vali 2+. I can hear the difference between my Lyr and my Vali 2+. But I cannot claim to hear a lot of differences from one 6SN7 to another. Maybe I could hear the difference but maybe I do not try that hard. To evaluate equipment I listen mostly to acoustic guitars, horns and drums and ask, "Do they sound right?" I have heard a lot of acoustic music. I listen to the vocalist and ask, "How are they placed?" and "How tall do they sound?"

I like the way these preamps sound but I am no expert.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #5,184 of 5,228
Lyr 3 is tricky, I initially tried a lot of tubes and they all sound the same more or less.

Then somehow the last few tubes I tried they all sound different LOL. I can't explain, maybe it's year? Or tube "type"? I find switching type seems to yield more difference.

As in:

6SN7GT
6SN7WGTA
6J5GT

Again...... can't say for sure, but also surprised your tubes died so close to each other.

Luckily 6SN7 types aren't too expensive to replace in general I think. :sweat_smile:

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #5,185 of 5,228
If it's new production tubes you're after you could go for Linlai E6SN7 here, if funds can afford - this tube I have read very good things about.
Or, this tube (Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z) from AliExpress is cheaper and probably not too far away from the above. This tube is an excellent all-rounder

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #5,186 of 5,228
I like the “stock” premium tube that was/is an option when ordering 6SN7-amps from Schiit, the new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB.

I have tried a few other new production tubes too, one that has better detail and sound stage than the TS, albeit losing a little of its “oomph” is (in my ears) the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z (black glass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back