Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Jul 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #2,281 of 2,392
Quote:
 i must be mistaken, but isnt there an amp where it is recommended that headphones be plugged in when turning on?  i always left my headphones plugged in because i thought that was how to do things. guess i was wrong

I can't remember which one it was, but someone in the HD650 thread pointed out instructions from a particular amp vendor that did suggest cycling the power with the headphones plugged in as best practice instead of the other way around.  I wish I could remember which brand it was.  That would definitely be the exception to the rule.

Woo's FAQ has a Q about "can I unplug my headphones while it's on" and the answer is something to the effect of "It probably will be fine, but be certain to at least turn the volume to zero" indicating that doing so may not be his first recommendation.  It all depends on the design I suppose...but the most common is plugging/unplugging while the device is on it seems.  And consider every iPod, game handheld, PC, etc out there is generally going to be ON when you're plugging in.  It's a less powerful amp, but it's still an amp.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2,282 of 2,392
Turn On:

1. Source On, Amp on with volume all the way down.
2. Plug cans in.
3. Play music from player etc.
4. Slowly turn up volume..and listen...

Turn Off:

1. Stop Source, turn volume ALL the way down.
2. Remove cans from plug.
3. Power off amp.
4. Power off Source.

Go to bed....

Alex

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #2,283 of 2,392
^^
Is it it imperative I go to bed after powering down my gear?
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,284 of 2,392
Quote:
^^
Is it it imperative I go to bed after powering down my gear?
biggrin.gif

What the hell else ya gonna do? huh....

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #2,286 of 2,392
Quote:
 I'll feel awfully strange going to bed at 6:30pm.

Yea, that is weird. I'll admit that I was under the impressions that we all listen to our gear until 3-4 am religiously. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,288 of 2,392
Ordered my Lyr yesterday, it shipped today.  Unfortunately, the amp has a long way to travel (from CA to PA), so I probably won't have it until week's end.

I'm anxious to hear how the Lyr sounds with my HD650s, but I'm very skeptical that it will outclass my PS Audio GCHA.  The GCHA has outstanding transparency, textures, and soundstage; however, I feel that it lacks that ultimate control of the drivers that yields powerful, deep bass, and strong rhythmic dynamics.  Nonetheless, it's an extremely enjoyable amp, and can satisfy for a very long time.  But as this hobby goes, eventually you just get tired of the same sound and need a change.  I'm hoping that the Lyr will give me that strong rhythmic drive I'm looking for, but as to what will be compromised to get that sound when compared to the GCHA, that has yet to be heard by me.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,289 of 2,392
Quote:
Ordered my Lyr yesterday, it shipped today.  Unfortunately, the amp has a long way to travel (from CA to PA), so I probably won't have it until week's end.

I'm anxious to hear how the Lyr sounds with my HD650s, but I'm very skeptical that it will outclass my PS Audio GCHA.  The GCHA has outstanding transparency, textures, and soundstage; however, I feel that it lacks that ultimate control of the drivers that yields powerful, deep bass, and strong rhythmic dynamics.  Nonetheless, it's an extremely enjoyable amp, and can satisfy for a very long time.  But as this hobby goes, eventually you just get tired of the same sound and need a change.  I'm hoping that the Lyr will give me that strong rhythmic drive I'm looking for, but as to what will be compromised to get that sound when compared to the GCHA, that has yet to be heard by me.

Keep your purse out because the Lyr is a gateway drug.  To to get the best out of it is to start tube rolling.  Your HD650's will work wonderfully with the Lyr as the HD650's scale with what you put in front of them.  The ability to change the sound character of the Lyr by tube rolling is one of its greatest strengths.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,290 of 2,392
Quote:
Keep your purse out because the Lyr is a gateway drug.  To to get the best out of it is to start tube rolling.  Your HD650's will work wonderfully with the Lyr as the HD650's scale with what you put in front of them.  The ability to change the sound character of the Lyr by tube rolling is one of its greatest strengths.

+1

Return the Lyr and get the Mjolnir as to avoid the $1000-$3000 deficit caused by tube rolling. 
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,291 of 2,392
Quote:

Actually it's funny you should say that, because my dad has a pair of the Red Wine Audio Signature 70.2 monoblocks, which happen to use the same type of tube that's in the Lyr.  He's got a few very good sets of NOS tubes (Amperex, Tellefunken, etc.) that I plan on trying out in the Lyr so I can figure out what kind of tube matches best with the HD650.  I also like the idea that this amp will eventually let me sufficiently power a set of HE-500s for when my wallet is ready :)

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2,292 of 2,392
Actually it's funny you should say that, because my dad has a pair of the Red Wine Audio Signature 70.2 monoblocks, which happen to use the same type of tube that's in the Lyr.  He's got a few very good sets of NOS tubes (Amperex, Tellefunken, etc.) that I plan on trying out in the Lyr so I can figure out what kind of tube matches best with the HD650.  I also like the idea that this amp will eventually let me sufficiently power a set of HE-500s for when my wallet is ready :)

I am waiting until after I go to CanJam in October to purchase my next pair of headphones. I bought the Lyr so I can support orthos. CanJam will give me a chance to listen to the HE-500's and the LCD-2's again before I decide which ones to get.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2,293 of 2,392
Quote:
I am waiting until after I go to CanJam in October to purchase my next pair of headphones. I bought the Lyr so I can support orthos. CanJam will give me a chance to listen to the HE-500's and the LCD-2's again before I decide which ones to get.

Oh man, good luck getting the best of impressions from a meet. The HE-500's and LCD-2 are both great cans. I'd surmise it comes down to your preferences. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #2,295 of 2,392
Quote:

Yeah, that's a tall order.  Though who knows, you may be able to.  The CanJam room wasn't too loud last year.

You might consider using the headphone library (rental service) from The Cable Co. and just doing an in-home demo of both.

Thanks for the suggestion to use the Cable Co. for demo headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back