Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Mar 30, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #406 of 2,392
Great comments Macedonian hero.

I too changed to the genelex ECC88 tubes soon after getting the Lyr because I felt that the amp needed a little more air and midrange detail. I have recently changed back to the stock tubes and have discovered that the stock tubes seem to develop more top end after a longer burn in. It is quite hard to do back to back testing as the tubes are reasonably difficult to swap out combined with the cool down and warm up delays but I think the stock tubes have a little extra bass.

Do you find similar or am I just loving the Lyr in all combinations?

I'm thinking I prefer the Genalex Gold Lions. I find the bass a (to my ears anyway) a bit more/deeper bass and warmer mids. Overall I find them just a bit more "musical' and "tubey". The stock tubes do sound really good, but come off a bit clinical. I will need to burn them in a bit before passing final judgement on them. (My Genalex tubes already have about 50 hours on them from my WA2).

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #407 of 2,392
nice comment, MacedonianHero!!

I saw you also having the WA2, may i know how Lyr drives Sennheiser HD800 / beyerdynamic T1 compared to WA2?? or in simply ask, is it a good choice to get it even having the WA2 already??

Thanks

I did quickly pop in my T1s with the Lyr and liked it very much...but on first impressions not as much was the WA2. I do plan to plug in my HD800s tonight for more comparisons. But my initial thoughts are that my WA2 will be my high impedance dynamic amp (and LCD-2 amp from time to time), the Lyr will mainly run my orthos and the Concerto will be my Edition 8 amp (and occasionally my LCD-2 amp).

So if you already have the WA2, I would stand pat with either the T1/HD800. It is the better dynamic headphone amp IMO. If you're looking at the HE-6s, then yes, the Lyr is a must (or a full speaker amp).

glad you like it out of the box. How difficult  or frustrating was putting the tubes in. keep us informed.

It's not impossible...but it does take some fiddling to get them out. Not a show stopper though by any means.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #408 of 2,392

I too changed to the genelex ECC88 tubes soon after getting the Lyr because I felt that the amp needed a little more air and midrange detail. I have recently changed back to the stock tubes and have discovered that the stock tubes seem to develop more top end after a longer burn in. It is quite hard to do back to back testing as the tubes are reasonably difficult to swap out combined with the cool down and warm up delays but I think the stock tubes have a little extra bass.

I'm thinking I prefer the Genalex Gold Lions. I find the bass a (to my ears anyway) a bit more/deeper bass and warmer mids. Overall I find them just a bit more "musical' and "tubey". The stock tubes do sound really good, but come off a bit clinical. I will need to burn them in a bit before passing final judgement on them. (My Genalex tubes already have about 50 hours on them from my WA2).

Interesting thought. Perhaps I need to burn in the gold lions then. Hmm sounds very appealing. The same great bass with additional detail and some tubiness to boot. Awesome.

To those people that think it is hard to change tubes on the Lyr ...just grab some grippy rubber and gently rock. They are quite easy. Looks like I will be changing them soon. Again.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #409 of 2,392
Now you guys have me looking up Genalex Gold Lions tubes for sale and the Lyr is still on the Fedex truck for delivery today hahahahaha
L3000.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting thought. Perhaps I need to burn in the gold lions then. Hmm sounds very appealing. The same great bass with additional detail and some tubiness to boot. Awesome.

To those people that think it is hard to change tubes on the Lyr ...just grab some grippy rubber and gently rock. They are quite easy. Looks like I will be changing them soon. Again.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #410 of 2,392
I'm going to order a set of Gold Lions on the same day I put my order in the the Lyr. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Now you guys have me looking up Genalex Gold Lions tubes for sale and the Lyr is still on the Fedex truck for delivery today hahahahaha
L3000.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #411 of 2,392
Well I just got my Lyr a couple hours ago and am very pleased with it sounds great the case gets warmer than I thought it would, gotta keep the cat now from wanting to crawl on top of it. hahahaha
L3000.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #412 of 2,392
Quote:
Quote:
nice comment, MacedonianHero!!

I saw you also having the WA2, may i know how Lyr drives Sennheiser HD800 / beyerdynamic T1 compared to WA2?? or in simply ask, is it a good choice to get it even having the WA2 already??

Thanks

I did quickly pop in my T1s with the Lyr and liked it very much...but on first impressions not as much was the WA2. I do plan to plug in my HD800s tonight for more comparisons. But my initial thoughts are that my WA2 will be my high impedance dynamic amp (and LCD-2 amp from time to time), the Lyr will mainly run my orthos and the Concerto will be my Edition 8 amp (and occasionally my LCD-2 amp).

So if you already have the WA2, I would stand pat with either the T1/HD800. It is the better dynamic headphone amp IMO. If you're looking at the HE-6s, then yes, the Lyr is a must (or a full speaker amp).

Not sure that you will be able to answer the question, but figured I might as well throw it out there. I understand that you prefer the WA2 as a dynamic headphone amp as compared to the Lyr; but when considering a more price compatible contender like the WA6, do you think that the Lyr would be a worthwhile amp for non-orthos?

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #414 of 2,392

I've only briefly tried my T1s (and HD800s tonight) on my Lyr and you know...they sound great! But I still prefer my WA2 (with about $300 of upgraded tubes) with my dynamic cans (and the LCD-2s are incredible with it too). You are right though, we are talking 2-3X price difference. The sound difference is certainly not 2-3X.

The WA6 is a great amp and very SS in it's signature....for me I prefer a more "tubey" amp with the T1s and HD800s, so it's hard to make that call. I do find the Lyr (with my Genalex Gold Lions) a bit warmer from what I remember of the WA6.

The advantage with the Lyr is that if you decided to pick up the HE-6s, you'd also have an amp for them too. The LCD-2s sound great on the WA6 from reports by ears I trust.

Tough call really.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #415 of 2,392
Well I just got my Lyr a couple hours ago and am very pleased with it sounds great the case gets warmer than I thought it would, gotta keep the cat now from wanting to crawl on top of it. hahahaha
L3000.gif

That is funny. You will know that your cat found the Lyr if it has two branded circular dots on it's side. Wonder if anyone has tested the effectiveness of cats as tube dampeners.... :)

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #416 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
L3000.gif

That is funny. You will know that your cat found the Lyr if it has two branded circular dots on it's side. Wonder if anyone has tested the effectiveness of cats as tube dampeners.... :)

hahaha thats hilarious man

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #419 of 2,392
Lyr just arrived after it's trip across the Atlantic, and I'm up schiit creek with 6 watts of paddle 
biggrin.gif

Simply put, I'm loving this amp with the LCD-2. It really works well with their bass capability without letting it get out of control, or losing definition, and the mids and highs manage to get just the right amount of tubeyness, if you're into it, whilst remaining well resolved and not overly warmed up.

Definately agree that the Gold Lions raise it's game, but that's not to say there is too much wrong with the stock tubes out of the box. I had the genelex already so I rolled them in fairly quickly (not sure why there's a fuss about getting the tubes out - marigolds ftw 
cool.gif
). Overall I'd agree with what's already been said, a bit more air, perhaps a touch more definition in the bass too.

Even with the cost of some new tubes, this has to be one of the best value products in hifi today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back