Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 4, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #556 of 2,392
My Lyr is hyr
k701smile.gif

And I must say that I am impressed with this little beast out of the box. Setup was a breeze; I already had a space reserved on my desk, as well as a set of Amprex gold pin 6922s, an interconnect, and a fresh NOS (to me) pair of stock K701s. So I didn't bother with the stock tubes, and tried the LCD-2s first with Audeze's new SE cable. Had a little hum, which was mostly solved with a cheater plug, also standing by.

I still get a faint hum on the planars and I do get a little more on the Edition 8, but they sound great with the music playing. The hum is with the volume turned all the way down; it increases slightly when I turn the knob without music playing, and I can perhaps make out a slight change where the Lyr goes from class A to AB. Strangely I get no hum/buzz at all with the K701.

The tubes are NOS and still need to break in; tubes are the only physical equipment that I am fully convinced breaking in makes a difference. So they need to settle down, and there is a lot of listening to do with my more demanding headphones like the HE-6/KK, but I am already convinced that this is a solid purchase for anyone that wants to get a single amp "to drive them all" without breaking the bank.

The mids are quite present with all three headphones, I think the recessed mids that others have mentioned could be due to the stock tubes. It doesn't have the magical refinement of my WA22 but it does have a slightly euphonic signature when compared to the solid state offerings that I have heard, particularly of the non-discrete variety.

I'm looking forward to making some comparisons with my speaker amp setup that I use for my HE-6/KK's as well as with the WA22's SE output for easier to drive headphones. And for those that favor the K701 I think that the Lyr is a great way to inject new life into them, in fact for the AKGs the Lyr seems like just the right Schiit.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #557 of 2,392
If you still have a SE cable for your HD600s, I'd love you forever if you would comment on them with the new Lyr. In your own time, of course :)

Congratulations, I am very jealous!

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #558 of 2,392
Yeah I have a nice SE Double Helix for them, will dig that out soon. Thanks for the reminder!

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #559 of 2,392

Quote:
My Lyr is hyr
k701smile.gif

And I must say that I am impressed with this little beast out of the box. Setup was a breeze; I already had a space reserved on my desk, as well as a set of Amprex gold pin 6922s, an interconnect, and a fresh NOS (to me) pair of stock K701s. So I didn't bother with the stock tubes, and tried the LCD-2s first with Audeze's new SE cable. Had a little hum, which was mostly solved with a cheater plug, also standing by.

I still get a faint hum on the planars and I do get a little more on the Edition 8, but they sound great with the music playing. The hum is with the volume turned all the way down; it increases slightly when I turn the knob without music playing, and I can perhaps make out a slight change where the Lyr goes from class A to AB. Strangely I get no hum/buzz at all with the K701.

The tubes are NOS and still need to break in; tubes are the only physical equipment that I am fully convinced breaking in makes a difference. So they need to settle down, and there is a lot of listening to do with my more demanding headphones like the HE-6/KK, but I am already convinced that this is a solid purchase for anyone that wants to get a single amp "to drive them all" without breaking the bank.

The mids are quite present with all three headphones, I think the recessed mids that others have mentioned could be due to the stock tubes. It doesn't have the magical refinement of my WA22 but it does have a slightly euphonic signature when compared to the solid state offerings that I have heard, particularly of the non-discrete variety.

I'm looking forward to making some comparisons with my speaker amp setup that I use for my HE-6/KK's as well as with the WA22's SE output for easier to drive headphones. And for those that favor the K701 I think that the Lyr is a great way to inject new life into them, in fact for the AKGs the Lyr seems like just the right Schiit.

So the Lyr hums with the LCD-2s? that is not a good sign as I am on the waiting list to get some. Could it be your tube selection that is causing the hum?

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #560 of 2,392

Quote:
My Lyr is hyr
k701smile.gif

I really agree about the K701 on the Lyr, it really benefits them! I noticed improvements in both treble aggressiveness (less sharp, but still lots of detail) and bass control which has been my main two beefs with this can. I also get no hum with the K701 but definately some with the W1000X. My LCD-2's should arrive today :)

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #561 of 2,392
Quote:
So the Lyr hums with the LCD-2s? that is not a good sign as I am on the waiting list to get some. Could it be your tube selection that is causing the hum?

It's barely noticeable but it is there. My tubes will need to settle down but this seems to be a developing consensus, that the Lyr seems to have the gain set just a little beyond a totally black background with many headphones.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #562 of 2,392
Yeah. The hum is soooo minor to the point that you'll probably split hairs trying to find a way to get no hum. As soon as music starts, or you have any sort of ambient sounds around you, the hum disappears. My tower fan is quiet, but audible enough to negate the hum on the Lyr when I'm not playing anything. I'd have to turn the fan off to note the hum. I NEVER turn my fan off. And the fan is dead silent when I play music.

People seriously shouldn't make a big deal out of something so minor. Wait until you get the Lyr before screaming murder about the hum.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #563 of 2,392
My Lyr has zero hum with LCD2 and HD650 (both sound great with the Lyr). I get a good hum going with my D2000, DX1000 and HF2. This is an amp for hard to drive phones.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #564 of 2,392
I wonder if they use AC on the filaments? This can be more dynamic but at the cost of some hum. It could also be just the particular tubes being used, the JJ or a trace in the wrong place. Normally hum that goes up in volume is amplified 60 cycle that is on the input. There could be a ground loop. It was mentioned by someone that a cheater plug got rid of the hum, which could indicate a ground loop. Often you only want one component to earth ground anyway. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #565 of 2,392

Quote:
I wonder if they use AC on the filaments? This can be more dynamic but at the cost of some hum. It could also be just the particular tubes being used, the JJ or a trace in the wrong place. Normally hum that goes up in volume is amplified 60 cycle that is on the input. There could be a ground loop. It was mentioned by someone that a cheater plug got rid of the hum, which could indicate a ground loop. Often you only want one component to earth ground anyway. 

Thanks for the comments jamato8 makes me feel better about getting the LCD=2's I haven't heard any hum yet with the Lyr with any of my phones even my little earbuds.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #566 of 2,392
Thanks for the comments jamato8 makes me feel better about getting the LCD=2's I haven't heard any hum yet with the Lyr with any of my phones even my little earbuds.

Mine hums into my LCD-2, not affected by the volume level and equal in both channels. Two changes of tubes and a cheater plug made no difference.

To be honest though, it's inaudible when any music is playing, even in the quietest passages, so I'm not sweating it.

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #567 of 2,392
I have my friend's tvrboy Lyr as a loan. He ordered it in the 220V version since he is spending time overseas. It has the stock tubes and I am using a step-up voltage converter.
The first thing I noticed is that it runs hot then like many of you I notice a slight hum but after testing with different headphones it is clear I get the hum with low impedance and efficient headphones when I use the HE-6, HD800 or T1 I get no hum.
The sound it quite nice for the price of the amplifier. I was very surprised of the bass the HD800 can produce with it. The top end is a little bit sharp but not bad and the midrange is on the dry side IMO. It could be that it needs some more burn in or different tubes. On the other hand it can also be that I am used to the sound of my WA-5-LE with the Mullard ECC32 tubes.

I will let it run some more and report back again. I think a more fair comparison will be against my V200.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 5, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #568 of 2,392

I hear absolutely ZERO hum from my LCD-2s and Lyr FWIW.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #569 of 2,392

So some people get hum some don't with the Lyr and LCD-2's this makes no sense I get no hum from my Lyr even with 32ohm earbuds so Im betting that I will get none with the LCD-2's I may eat these words

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #570 of 2,392

So some people get hum some don't with the Lyr and LCD-2's this makes no sense I get no hum from my Lyr even with 32ohm earbuds so Im betting that I will get none with the LCD-2's I may eat these words

Could be of faint ground loops (or dimmers) in their homes causing this issue? I removed all dimmers from our home a few months back. My wife wasn't too happy, but forgiveness was easier to ask for than permission. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back