Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4,832 of 8,735
LCD2 Rev 2's

Is there any reason I should or shouldn't purchase the Bamboo version?
Sonic wise.

Granted the Rosewood looks great, probably better resale too.
But Bamboo is one of the hardest woods on the planet.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #4,833 of 8,735
Quote:
LCD2 Rev 2's

Is there any reason I should or shouldn't purchase the Bamboo version?
Sonic wise.

Granted the Rosewood looks great, probably better resale too.
But Bamboo is one of the hardest woods on the planet.

There are no sonic differences. Although, I swear my Bamboo did sound better than the old Rosewood.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #4,834 of 8,735
Quote:
There are no sonic differences. Although, I swear my Bamboo did sound better than the old Rosewood.

Thanks.

I know Rosewood is more popular and my Rosewood rev 1's are beautiful, but I'm going to order them in Bamboo to be different.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4,835 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks.

I know Rosewood is more popular and my Rosewood rev 1's are beautiful, but I'm going to order them in Bamboo to be different.

Just remember that affects the resale value. 
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #4,836 of 8,735
First, I'm looking forward to hearing the difference between the rev1's and 2's.

Question.
Does an aftermarket cable really make a difference?
If so, I'm thinking Toxic....
It's got to be 3m because I'm large and clumsy.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #4,837 of 8,735
Quote:
First, I'm looking forward to hearing the difference between the rev1's and 2's.

Question.
If so, I'm thinking Toxic....
It's got to be 3m because I'm large and clumsy.

Danger, Danger, Danger, cable debate approaching!

Whether or not cables make a differences is up to the unexplainable science or hardworking placebo.
There are however many other benefits to aftermarket choices.

Customized length, looks, comfort and the fact that they're quiet.

I buy my Q cables because they're elegant and feel nice on the skin. 
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #4,838 of 8,735
Quote:

Question.

I say no, because they have little to no engineering behind them, whereas the stock cable does.

FWIW, the stock Audeze cable is designed similarly to the Stax stock cable, which no one who has a $5,000. Stax headphone seems to complain about:

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #4,839 of 8,735
Quote:

I say no, because they have little to no engineering behind them, whereas the stock cable does.

FWIW, the stock Audeze cable is designed similarly to the Stax stock cable, which no one who has a $5,000. Stax headphone seems to complain about:

Not really. Apart from the flat looks...

Stax users don't use aftermarket cables because they don't work (they'd be destroyed) considering the high voltage.

Meaning, it's unsafe.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4,840 of 8,735
Quote:
Danger, Danger, Danger, cable debate approaching!

Whether or not cables make a differences is up to the unexplainable science or hardworking placebo.
There are however many other benefits to aftermarket choices.

Customized length, looks, comfort and the fact that they're quiet.

I buy my Q cables because they're elegant and feel nice on the skin. 
tongue.gif

Nailed it again.
Voodoo science.  (This is my last post on this topic)

Ascetics, you bet.
I think the custom cable that came with my rev 1's is a "Q"
Too short.  But silky smooth and I use it when I'm not in squirm mode.
Looks Top Shelf.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #4,841 of 8,735
Quote:
Nailed it again.
Voodoo science.  (This is my last post on this topic)

Ascetics, you bet.
I think the custom cable that came with my rev 1's is a "Q"
Too short.  But silky smooth and I use it when I'm not in squirm mode.
Looks Top Shelf.

Honestly, who cares if there's no audible difference (I mean, there might be, or IS, er, it's a crapshoot). We're in a niche hobby as it is and it's always nice to more-so further personalize your gear.

Give it some flare and life! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #4,842 of 8,735
Quote:

Bingo.
I'm using the stock LCD2 cable right now.
I need to be.....

deadhorse.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #4,843 of 8,735
Quote:
Honestly, who cares if there's no audible difference (I mean, there might be, or IS, er, it's a crapshoot). We're in a niche hobby as it is and it's always nice to more-so further personalize your gear.

biggrin.gif

I would not bet Against me upgrading the cable......  I have no common sense when it comes to these matters.

edit:
Case in point:  What thread am I on...

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #4,844 of 8,735
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I'd argue that a lot of aftermarket cables actually make the headphones sound worse than the stock cables. Often they take away something desirable about the the sound. This was my experience. 

It's pretty easy for someone who knows how to make cables to just make a bunch of cables and sell them. But, do they  do any testing/engineering of them so said cable matches the headphones? Not typically.

You can bet the headphone manufacturer does test their supplied cables, and even likely incorporates the cable design into the overall design process of the headphones. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4,845 of 8,735
Quote:
I'd argue that a lot of aftermarket cables actually make the headphones sound worse than the stock cables. Often they take away something desirable about the the sound. This was my experience. 

It's pretty easy for someone who knows how to make cables to just make a bunch of cables and sell them. But, do they  do any testing of them so said cable matches the headphones? Not typically.

You can bet the headphone manufacturer does test their supplied cables, and even likely incorporates the cable design into the overall design process of the headphones. 

So you believe cables make a difference and that's fine. I'd argue that perhaps you had a bad experience. Or many.

Which aftermarket cables sounded worse than the stock?

No argument, there are many hacks out there doing it for the cash. There are however plenty of other's out there that do care
about the product they put out, as well as having experience in the industry for many of years to back it up.
Meaning, they know what they're doing.

I believe you're just throwing out generalized statements (Kind of like how you did with comparing the Audeze stock cable and Stax).

How do you know if they test their cables to synergize or not.
If you look at the many different options out there from say, DHC, for example, you'd see there's a ton of offerings.

But perhaps you're right, Peter just throws bunches/varieties of cables together. So in effect, it is a crapshoot. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back