Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #4,862 of 8,735
Quote:
What stand is that HK?

Quote:

ROFLMAO!!!
gs1000.gif
  That was classic!

It's the Audio Technica Headphone stand (although not the last).  Before I got the LCD-2's I bought a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV headphones and the stand to go with them.  Unfortunately, the headphones wouldn't fit my elephant ears...but I kept the stand.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #4,863 of 8,735
It's the Audio Technica Headphone stand (although not the last).  Before I got the LCD-2's I bought a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV headphones and the stand to go with them.  Unfortunately, the headphones wouldn't fit my elephant ears...but I kept the stand. :D

Nice I dig it

Well done sir

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #4,864 of 8,735
Quote:
Quote:
LCD2 Rev 2's

Is there any reason I should or shouldn't purchase the Bamboo version?
Sonic wise.

Granted the Rosewood looks great, probably better resale too.
But Bamboo is one of the hardest woods on the planet.

There are no sonic differences. Although, I swear my Bamboo did sound better than the old Rosewood.

My new Rosewood (latest iteration) sounds better than my old Rosewood (early rev.2).

Quote:
I have no desire to enter this argument.  However:

This picture shows the rosewood most naturally...

The Rosewood is darker in real life than the pictures.  The flash lightens it up.

Q-Audio Cable, Brown Silk...Steve Eddy is now only offering cables in silk...

I'll let you decide...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - And to stay on topic...Boy, I sure still like the Philipis JAN 6922 tubes in my Lyr! 
wink_face.gif

Rosewood FTW!

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #4,866 of 8,735
My new Rosewood (latest iteration) sounds better than my old Rosewood (early rev.2).

Rosewood FTW!

My goodness, such language! Er, I mean such abbreviations!

Where will the tufted rose sniffers sleep?

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #4,870 of 8,735
Hey, has anyone rolled any new glass in their Lyr lately? Anyone? Beuller?

:popcorn:

Only the JAN Philips a couple days ago.
At first I loved them Very clear and defined. Then after a while it was , What's going on?
I would describe them as too intense. I had to get them out.

I'll give them another chance, but I'm enjoying my D getters.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #4,871 of 8,735
Quote:
Hey, has anyone rolled any new glass in their Lyr lately? Anyone? Beuller?

popcorn.gif

well my Lyr came in today, tried the new GEs Schiit was offering for all of, eh 30 minutes? and curiosity killed the tube roller. got my Amperex USN-CEP 6922's in now. and WOW WHAT is this liquid beauty pouring out of my cans... this is an experience i have no words for. other than i feel warm and tingly all over. note that one tube is slightly microphonic, kinda disappointed but that's the gamble of NOS tubes, or anything analog for that matter. the tube dampers DO help, they seem to take it from a high, constant ring to a lower, less audible hum. not entirely eliminating anything, no turning water into wine or anything but certainly helpful in reducing in microphonics. just from previous knowledge of the tracks i'm listening to, the Amperex seem to be very mids forward. good extension in the bass. it's rich and wholesome, but doesn't have that "wow" factor. they are detailed, but don't have an incredible amount of air to them. much my heavier rock (post rock, math rock, etc) seems muddy. i'm factoring the fact that a lot of these bands operate on a very minimalist budget and i'm sure audiophile-grade recordings aren't the top thing on their list of priorities. one thing it does really well is clean rock like The Police, Men at Work, etc and chillwave sounds unbelievably "tangible" on this set up. analog synths are crunchy, full, vibrant, warm, gooey, phat audio goodness. fuzz effects and the accenting vocals are accentuated well and complete the overall sound of this tube. imo, the search will continue. i would like something "cleaner" with more balance. maybe some siemens CCa's or telefunkens... want: more air, more neutrality in sound. i'll continue browsing this thread, much to the dismay of my wallet, looking for something that meets my desires. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #4,872 of 8,735
well my Lyr came in today, tried the new GEs Schiit was offering for all of, eh 30 minutes? and curiosity killed the tube roller. got my Amperex USN-CEP 6922's in now. and WOW WHAT is this liquid beauty pouring out of my cans... this is an experience i have no words for. other than i feel warm and tingly all over. 

yup

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #4,873 of 8,735
Quote:
well my Lyr came in today, tried the new GEs Schiit was offering for all of, eh 30 minutes? and curiosity killed the tube roller. got my Amperex USN-CEP 6922's in now. and WOW WHAT is this liquid beauty pouring out of my cans... this is an experience i have no words for. other than i feel warm and tingly all over. 

is that tubby love making experience? 
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #4,875 of 8,735
Quote:
is that tubby love making experience? 
L3000.gif

heh, that was the initial shock from going from uncomfortable ER-4P's and stock laptop speakers to the set up listed in my sig. the detail is unreal, but i think i'll keep searching for "the one tube to rule them all." i'd like more air between the instruments and a more neutral depiction of the frequencies represented in each song. 

EDIT: so i'm gonna redact my muddiness comment. just rolled through a better mastered post rock test song that i love and the detail is astounding. perhaps i'm warming up to these tubes. is this tube "settling in" thing legitimate or is it anything widely debated topic with no scientific data behind it? they seem to be opening up. sorry if i jumped the gun on my review too soon, we'll call that one "Initial Impressions" for all concerned parties and i'll closely monitor any changes they present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back