Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #8,206 of 8,735
Microphonics.
My tiny men are microphonic when nothing is playing., but they are so sweet when there is.

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #8,208 of 8,735
Quote:
That stocks are junk er what?

i have 2 pairs of that stock tube that got noisy after a while. that was a year ago when I bought some replacement e88cc tubes. 

e88cc tubes were and are everywhere for 20-30 bucksc like i said in earlier post. 

when i got them I instantly perceived an upgrade, very very apparent.

e88cc remains the best low fi tubes for lyr.

I was just wondering how you can possibly have owned lyr for more than 1 year and just realized now that the tubes are noisy. maybe you just got a nice pair and maybe you just didn't use it much, but seems you are reluctant to say-.-

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #8,209 of 8,735
Quote:
Microphonics.
My tiny men are microphonic when nothing is playing., but they are so sweet when there is.

The same problem I had.  But mine were worse, I could hear the noise even with low levels of music playing.

Hey, it's bound to happen a few times, we're dealing with so truly old devices...

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #8,210 of 8,735
So, I have been listening to the OG's for hours these past two days and I come away with three things that irk me.

The first is that any recording that has drums, are very recessed. Almost to the point they are on a second layer beneath the mids. On my stock GE tubes you do not hear this, it is exactly where it should be in the mix. My other headphones are the same way as far as hearing the drums on the same level as the other instruments. There also seems to be a tonality issue as well.

Second is I am noticing missing detail on particular recordings. On the song "Treefingers" by Radiohead, right in the middle of the song there is this faint slide guitar the goes from the R to L. I can hear this on my other cans and on the GE tubes. But the OGs do not pick this up. There are other recordings where slight details are missing as well.

Thirdly, the bass is weaker than the GE tubes. I know the HE-500 has been somewhat criticszed for its bass being somewhat flabby, but considering I have heard raves over a liquid tight bass on the OG, I am disappointed.

I also know the HE-500 are not noted for their imaging, but this flaw becomes more apparent with the OGs.

When I first used the OG, I was sort of amazed by the quality. In fact, the bass was actually extremely good when I fired it up for the first time. But after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. it seems to me it has lost that sort of magic and these tubes are a bit ho-hum.

I do plan on getting the LCD2's next month, so I am going to keep the OGs for now.

But I can confirm what others have said before, these aren't a good match with the HE-500. Of course take this with a grain of salt until I spend about 50 hours or more with them.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #8,211 of 8,735
So, I have been listening to the OG's for hours these past two days and I come away with three things that irk me.

The first is that any recording that has drums, are very recessed. Almost to the point they are on a second layer beneath the mids. On my stock GE tubes you do not hear this, it is exactly where it should be in the mix. My other headphones are the same way as far as hearing the drums on the same level as the other instruments. There also seems to be a tonality issue as well.

Second is I am noticing missing detail on particular recordings. On the song "Treefingers" by Radiohead, right in the middle of the song there is this faint slide guitar the goes from the R to L. I can hear this on my other cans and on the GE tubes. But the OGs do not pick this up. There are other recordings where slight details are missing as well.

Thirdly, the bass is weaker than the GE tubes. I know the HE-500 has been somewhat criticszed for its bass being somewhat flabby, but considering I have heard raves over a liquid tight bass on the OG, I am disappointed.

I also know the HE-500 are not noted for their imaging, but this flaw becomes more apparent with the OGs.

When I first used the OG, I was sort of amazed by the quality. In fact, the bass was actually extremely good when I fired it up for the first time. But after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. it seems to me it has lost that sort of magic and these tubes are a bit ho-hum.

I do plan on getting the LCD2's next month, so I am going to keep the OGs for now.

But I can confirm what others have said before, these aren't a good match with the HE-500. Of course take this with a grain of salt until I spend about 50 hours or more with them.
On a notice that comes with the tubes, mercedesman mentions that some tubes require up to 50 hours of burn-in time. I found this to nearly be true with the OG's. The fact you mention how great they sounded on your initial impressions, leads me to think they're still not burned in enough. I would expect the performance level to atleast match your initial impressions after the 45-50 hour mark.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #8,212 of 8,735
Ok I got it. BTW Zuckfun, did my post have spaces in between it or did it look like a big paragraph as you quoted above? I tried using "br" to break it up but not sure what you see on your end. Thanks.

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #8,214 of 8,735
Quote:
The same problem I had.  But mine were worse, I could hear the noise even with low levels of music playing.

Hey, it's bound to happen a few times, we're dealing with so truly old devices...

Your tiny men?

I'm not going to fart with them.  You are correct-o-mundo.  55 year old glass.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #8,215 of 8,735

I feel there is something inherent in human psychology that often confuses change with an improvement. I have been through similar experiences with many tubes and it is only after some sober and continuous use and then a change back to my original configuration can I really pass judgement.

As well there have been times recently now that the weather is better that I am outside with my PMP listening to the same music and I am struck by either how different the presentation is or that I am actually missing considerable detail and nuance on my Lyr rig back home. It can be incredibly frustrating to find there are times when I actually enjoy music more via my PMP or computer speakers rather than through my increasingly expensive headphone rig. The worry is that I am actually becoming accustomed to inaccurate sound via the headphones.

For me the desirable tube sound is one with flat response and realistic dynamics and without euphonic distortion. The dynamics is the one thing that tubes can do somewhat easily that can only be matched by high end and expensive transistor amps. Out of my entire collection I have maybe 3 pairs of tubes that can meet this requirement and I suppose its unlikely I can find more without some pretty time consuming effort.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #8,216 of 8,735
Quick update on the '75 Voskhod Rockets:

Had a chance to listen to the gray shield version -  not expecting much.

Well I was blown away!

They are a bit different then the '75 V-R silvers, they have this incredibly liquid sound! 

It not like any 6922 I've heard yet - the music has just this natural flow to it, it kind of sweeps you away.  All with great detail - maybe not as neutral as the silvers, a bit euphonic (not micro-phonic!), like a good 300b vs a KT-88 amp.  They have the widest, deepest sound stage yet.  I mean it's side wall to side wall and 20 ft deep.

The closest I can compare, was when I put Tellurium Q Ultra Black cable in my main system (with speakers), the sound just flowed with such ease.
http://www.telluriumq.com/

I'm really trying to wrap my head around both of these - incredible, simply incredible!

PS - thanks for all the positive feedback I have been getting on the 1980's silver rockets!  Glad you all like them so much.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #8,217 of 8,735
Quote:
I feel there is something inherent in human psychology that often confuses change with an improvement. I have been through similar experiences with many tubes and it is only after some sober and continuous use and then a change back to my original configuration can I really pass judgement.

As well there have been times recently now that the weather is better that I am outside with my PMP listening to the same music and I am struck by either how different the presentation is or that I am actually missing considerable detail and nuance on my Lyr rig back home. It can be incredibly frustrating to find there are times when I actually enjoy music more via my PMP or computer speakers rather than through my increasingly expensive headphone rig. The worry is that I am actually becoming accustomed to inaccurate sound via the headphones.

For me the desirable tube sound is one with flat response and realistic dynamics and without euphonic distortion. The dynamics is the one thing that tubes can do somewhat easily that can only be matched by high end and expensive transistor amps. Out of my entire collection I have maybe 3 pairs of tubes that can meet this requirement and I suppose its unlikely I can find more without some pretty time consuming effort.

what tubes are you running with now? links to brimars maybe?

thanks good sir

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #8,218 of 8,735
I am actually missing considerable detail and nuance on my Lyr rig back home. It can be incredibly frustrating to find there are times when I actually enjoy music more via my PMP or computer speakers rather than through my increasingly expensive headphone rig. The worry is that I am actually becoming accustomed to inaccurate sound via the headphones.

I listen to a cd player that has a built-in headphone amplifier. This is how I gauge how effective the Lyr is, considering my two headphones are easily driven. With some tubes, the cd's headphone amplifier outperforms the Lyr in terms of clarity, although the Lyr always wins in terms of dynamics. It is frustrating that a cd player which has an amplifier as an added feature can outperform the Lyr on occasion. It's the tubes. These are some of the most neutral and clear tubes I've heard in my limited experience:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Ediswan-CV2492-%7B47%7D-6922.html

Not sure if these would beat Telefunken's. But if you're craving a flat response, maybe worth it to check these out, very clear natural sounding tubes.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #8,219 of 8,735
what tubes are you running with now? links to brimars maybe?

thanks good sir

Right now I am running Telefunken E88CC which are one of my fave pairs.

The Brimars are here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151042693962?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They are certainly worth the price and do seem to age well.

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #8,220 of 8,735
Quote:
Right now I am running Telefunken E88CC which are one of my fave pairs.

The Brimars are here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151042693962?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They are certainly worth the price and do seem to age well.

what's the deal with people selling unquoted non documented or tested teles for 200 bucks for 2 pairs, when I paid 270 bucks for a pair on tubemuseumusa, which was even on sale.--and then there were also other legit ones for 200 a pair, ---and nobody seem to indicate that there should be any standard that different make or kind or date or condition dictate the price of them...i mean if people have never bought tons of telefunkens before how are they supposed to know which ones are good? Sure ebay is supposed to be a place where you get stuff for cheap cus you know about stuff, but it's even worse than buying stuff on the street in a way because the pictures and the descriptions can all be faked--i mean obviously there is reputation on the line but with almost everyone having 99% or higher rating it just seem too good to be true that I won't get screwed one day buying from someone--is every seller on ebay with like a lot of stars lots of sales good rating just going to be honest traders? what about those with just a couple hundred stars and only a couple stuff on sale or a couple sales history tracable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back