Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #8,191 of 8,735
Yeah it does seem to be a much different story which is bizarre because aren't they planar magnetics? It shouldn't be that much of a difference *shrugs*

And Overwork, I will keep playing them and see if they improve.
Letting them cool off is important also. I would do 6-8 hours on, cool off for an hour. After letting them cool, try firing it up and giving them a listen.

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #8,192 of 8,735
Quote:
Unless you actually run into an issue of noise, no.  I have deoxit myself and only ever used it on a couple of tubes with very obvious corrosion on the pins.  If I do get noise issues the first thing I do is pull, swap, and reinstall the tubes...that's usually enough to ensure good contact with the pins.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

I'm a big believer in prevention being better than cure.

The cure you're describing tends to indicate that you had dirty pins. If you used Deoxit, you wouldn't have that problem in the first place.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #8,193 of 8,735
Can't stress this enough on the Brimar 6BQ7A tubes... give them plenty of burn-in before passing judgement on the sound.   When I first bought these, I rolled them in and thought they were awful.   Other people have had the same experience.   After only 7-8 hours there was a noticeable difference in sound quality, and after a couple of days of use they really settled in well.   They are excellent sounding tubes once burned in.

-Mike

Really enjoying the Brimar 6BQ7A. Great top to bottom response and tonality along with some bass slam if you want it.

After a couple weeks with them now I would rate them as superior to the Matsu****a 6922's I have been running for a while. I found the Brimars have improved with age and the Matsuschiitas haven't.

The Brimars have a nice glow as well, and look great in the Lyr.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #8,194 of 8,735
Of all the CCa S&H's I have had which is over 40 + sets I have only had one or two sets extremely microphonic I will say something to twist your noodle a bit since I saw nightflight mentioned me .. I feel special I am still remembered HAHA.  Anyway microphonic tubes may not always be a bad thing some tubes are more or less microphonic and for purposes beyond being a preamp stage in a Amp such as the Lyr (solid state amp tube pre-amp design) depending on other uses that very Microphonic tube could be very tasty or not.. hehe. I will not explain how or why just kinda like to throw out tidbits to get everyone to think.. 

§

Of course your remembered. You made how many posts? lol :)

I finally found something which explains you reference to microphonic tubes not necessarily being a bad thing.

"Can a tube be too low in microphony? Sometimes a little bit of microphony can be a good thing! In my opinion, tubes that have a smidge of microphony can lead to a sense of “air” or depth in soundstage. Using tube dampers can decrease, or even eliminate microphonics, but it can also remove that air and depth. Some folks don't mind that, others do. If you have tube dampers, try using your tubes with them, then listen to the same tracks without, and make a judgement call... there's no right or wrong answer here."

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #8,196 of 8,735
Quote:
Of course your remembered. You made how many posts? lol :)

I finally found something which explains you reference to microphonic tubes not necessarily being a bad thing.

"Can a tube be too low in microphony? Sometimes a little bit of microphony can be a good thing! In my opinion, tubes that have a smidge of microphony can lead to a sense of “air” or depth in soundstage. Using tube dampers can decrease, or even eliminate microphonics, but it can also remove that air and depth. Some folks don't mind that, others do. If you have tube dampers, try using your tubes with them, then listen to the same tracks without, and make a judgement call... there's no right or wrong answer here."

why does this look like something coming from upscale audio

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #8,197 of 8,735
Quote:
Really enjoying the Brimar 6BQ7A. Great top to bottom response and tonality along with some bass slam if you want it.

After a couple weeks with them now I would rate them as superior to the Matsu****a 6922's I have been running for a while. I found the Brimars have improved with age and the Matsuschiitas haven't.

The Brimars have a nice glow as well, and look great in the Lyr.

link to this brimars you are talking about?

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #8,199 of 8,735
So I have this slight ting-ingness going on. At first it started on the right side then I switched out the tubes and it was fine all day and then it starts again. I can't quite isolate it this time. I blame the stock tubes...

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #8,200 of 8,735
Quote:
So I have this slight ting-ingness going on. At first it started on the right side then I switched out the tubes and it was fine all day and then it starts again. I can't quite isolate it this time. I blame the stock tubes...

which stock tube are you using? i am guessing it'snot the e88cc ones and you bought a used one from soneone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back