Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #8,716 of 8,735
Quote:
I listed my 65' RTC's for $155

SOLD

Haha, I can't say I'm surprised. Damn my newbness for not knowing a good deal. At least they are going to a good home.

As for the Oppo 105 vs the Marantz, I was just not in love with the idea of the Oppo being a machine that did "everything" and I didn't care for the look of it (very modern, very digital, very bleh). I felt like that was playing into my listening session as well, psychologically. It was definitely a brighter sound, no mistaking that. It was impressive at first, then I felt fatigue start to set in and kind of lost interest in the sound. The Marantz just sounded more musical and warm/fun to me.

From the few posts I have seen, the DAC is well-regarded. I noticed an immediate difference when I swapped out my Sony carousel.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #8,717 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks rb  
smile.gif

They are one of the best tubes!  Had a few pairs some time ago.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #8,719 of 8,735
Quote:
Wh...what???  What are going to replace it with?

I ordered a Gungnir today.  Jason let me audition one with my amp at the meet.
There was an amazing difference.

So I ordered XLR jacks and XLR plugs for the 300B

I have enough 20g a. silver wire left to make set of 6 ft. interconnects..

Not 2 minutes ago, "Greed" purchased the Bifrost.

I've had a lot of gear juggling going on.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #8,720 of 8,735
Quote:
I ordered a Gungnir today.  Jason let me audition one with my amp at the meet.
There was an amazing difference.

So I ordered XLR jacks and XLR plugs for the 300B

I have enough 20g a. silver wire left to make set of 6 ft. interconnects..

Not 2 minutes ago, "Greed" purchased the Bifrost.

I've had a lot of gear juggling going on.

Yes - my wish list is a Bifrost with tube output (6922s maybe), linear PS, and transformer coupling (but I'd settle for cap coupling).

Imagine the tube rolling possibilities!  The cross breed synergies...makes my finger burn just thinking about it!

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #8,721 of 8,735
One note of caution to those new to tubes and take this from a guy who has played with these for 15 yrs. IMHO anybody paying over a $100/pr for these is nuts. They can and will fail...just a matter of time. They're like a lightbulb burning (feel the heat). When you buy a used tube you have no idea how many hours are on it - testing does not give you an age. Like a lightbulb - bright one day - burned out the next. I still remember when a $100 Seimens CCa burned out, I was really pissed. Worse on a matched pair, it makes the other tube almost worthless.

Unlike a cable, amp, headphone these have a finite life.

Just a heads up.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #8,722 of 8,735
Quote:
One note of caution to those new to tubes and take this from a guy who has played with these for 15 yrs. IMHO anybody paying over a $100/pr for these is nuts. They can and will fail...just a matter of time. They're like a lightbulb burning (feel the heat). When you buy a used tube you have no idea how many hours are on it - testing does not give you an age. Like a lightbulb - bright one day - burned out the next. I still remember when a $100 Seimens CCa burned out, I was really pissed. Worse on a matched pair, it makes the other tube almost worthless.

Unlike a cable, amp, headphone these have a finite life.

Just a heads up.

Just a Heads Up.

You have just insulted a whole lot of folks on this thread that regularly spend more than $100 for valves.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #8,723 of 8,735
Finally decided on these guys from audiotubes.com:

E88CC / 6922(premium 6DJ8) Amperex PQ orange label USA made, gold pins.MATCHED PAIR

E88CC / 6922 Siemens, West Germany made, A-Frame Getter style, gold pins.MATCHED PAIRS

So, one warm, one neutral, two known brands. 5 different headphones to try out on each pair with a good mix of sound signatures (AD2000x, HD800, DT660, Denon AHD2000 and SR80). Will report back when I get some time to play around with them. In the meantime, am trying to put as many hours as possible on the stock GE's to get this Lyr properly burned in. Probably up to around 60-70 hours so far, will be close to 100 by the time the new tubes come in...ways to go.

And yeah, I figure tube life is finite. I just figure it's the cost of doing business. I opted for the 6922's because I read they are supposed to last longer than the 6DJ8's (something like 10,000 hours vs 5000?) Originally was going to get the Siemens, then a 6DJ8 Amperex and a 6DJ8 Mullard, but I figure I'll skip the Mullard for now and go for the higher end Amperex. I'll have my hands full with 2 sets of tubes, 3 would be too much for right now.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #8,724 of 8,735
Quote:
. I still remember when a $100 Seimens CCa burned out, I was really pissed. Worse on a matched pair, it makes the other tube almost worthless.

I dropped  one of a matched Siemens & Halske CCa's from  1960 on my granite countertop while I was opening the package(after waiting around a month for it to come from Germany). It was also a sad day, but at least you had some time with yours.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #8,725 of 8,735
Just a Heads Up.

You have just insulted a who lot of folks on this thread that regularly spend more than $100 for valves.

I did say IMHO...do you refute these do die eventually. Spend your money as you see fit you know what you're getting into.

This was just some real info for those new to tubes dumping hundreds of dollars on these 'limited life' things.

I apologize to anyone offended by the truth.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #8,726 of 8,735
I did say IMHO...do you refute these do die eventually. Spend your money as you see fit you know what you're getting into.

This was just some real info for those new to tubes dumping hundreds of dollars on these 'limited life' things.

No offense taken here. Every car will die eventually, and how many thousands do we spend on these. My tubes sound so much better than my car :)

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #8,727 of 8,735
 I dropped  one of a matched Siemens & Halske CCa's from  1960 on my granite countertop while I was opening the package(after waiting around a month for it to come from Germany). It was also a sad day, but at least you had some time with yours.

I feel your pain. Mine just went poof one day. Same has happened for great a Philips Miniwatt I had - a month after I bought them.

I've owned every tube under the sun 12ax7s, 12au7s, 6sn7s, 300bs, kt88s, 6dr7s, and too many 6922s to count. Power tubes are the worst the 300b, 211, 2a3s kt88s, etc
Small signal tubes at least you have a fighting chance.

These were rated 7,000 to 10,000 when they were brand new. Now most of these are 40yrs old and have had how much playing time on them?

Maybe I'm just shock at the prices these are going for these days - I mean $500 for real Siemens Gray CCas - give me a break.

I absolutely love the way tubes sound but there has to be some reasonableness about this.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #8,728 of 8,735

So I would only be 70% "nuts" if I bought a set of tubes for $70?
Like say a pair of 75' Voskhod's ?
That you happen to be selling.
But I'd be in real trouble if I bought 2 sets.
Let's keep the comment directed at components.... Not the "anybody.... Is nuts that..."

So first you play the IMHO card... but you finish with "The Truth" O' oracle of all things electronics, guiding those "new to tubes" into affordable Russian tubes that..... Wait, I sell on this thread daily.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #8,729 of 8,735
Quote:

aren't these tubes supposed to last at least 5k hours? how are you going to run out of that if you have been rolling tubes all the time? if you are rolling tubes how can you possibly be sticking to just one pair for several years of constant listening?

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #8,730 of 8,735
Quote:
So I would only be 70% "nuts" if I bought a set of tubes for $70?
Like say a pair of 75' Voskhod's ?
That you happen to be selling.
But I'd be in real trouble if I bought 2 sets.
Let's keep the comment directed at components.... Not the "anybody.... Is nuts that..."

So first you play the IMHO card... but you finish with "The Truth" O' oracle of all things electronics, guiding those "new to tubes" into affordable Russian tubes that..... Wait, I sell on this thread daily.

he has a point tho, there is a reason I only buy stuff that are bang for bucks like many people that are not impulsive and mindless beings cashing out a huge deal of money just because they are told it is or they are told to get the best, and "you get what you pay for"
even if he is selling out his voskods like he has been doing before going on about why 100+ tubes are waste of money, I'd buy a voskod than a cca any day if they sound 60-90% of the cca, cus they are like 10% the price

and if you can't scale quality, why can people be allowed to scale price so high? just because the voodoo juice is supposed to be highly sought after and highly precious, more precious than a reasonable --oh wait i already spent more than what cca cost

acutally if the good stuff is really good, then it really makes me curious why they who regard them as voodoo can let go of them. At a high price yes, but then they have to hype it up so --i mean how many people do that? not a lot, even if a lot of people buy tubes. There are only a handful of elite tube guys and they can't just dictate what the community thinks or hears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back