Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #586 of 591
Thought I'd add my comments now that I've had a Midgard about three months. It's an excellent headphone amp. I use it with a pair of Hifiman Sundaras (open back.) I had been using a Vali 2++ but find the clarity of the Midgard more to my taste. However, as with the other Schiit solid-state gear I have, there is no hint of stridency or sterility that one sometimes finds with non-tube gear. Regarding the XLR "Halo" connection, while there was no dramatic difference between the two outputs, I think I have a preference for the Halo -- the bass and lower midrange seems to have a slightly more "3-D" quality than the TRS connection. The final observation is the unit does run cooler than I expected; the top never gets anything more than pleasantly warm. All in all, an outstanding headphone amp, especially at this price!

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #587 of 591
With my setup,
- Qudelix T71 bal out => Midgard bal input
I have no complaints even with non-halo.
I haven't compared them enough but anyways I'm gonna upgrade the dac side to Bifrost soon for optimal synergy.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #588 of 591
I'm very curious about the future of Schitt's amplifier line-up. So Midgard is a fantastic performer. The future Asgard+ (4) will surely employ the Halo technology with the balanced inputs and quasi-balanced output. This Asgard 4 with Halo then will absolutely eclipse the Jotenheim 2 which will stop selling. The Jotenheim 3 will have to knock it out of the park because Jason will likely not implement Halo with Jotenheim3 because that's a bit more complicated to implement with a balanced topography. So, Jotenheim 3, whenever that happens, will have to move up in price considerably to best the Asgard 4. I'm speculating of course, but Jotenheim 3 will have to perform at Aune S17Pro's performance level to sell well. So, I'm guessing that Jotenheim 3's price will climb to $699 as Asgard 4 w/Halo takes it's performance and price slot. Now, to best an Asgard 4 with Halo is going to start costing a LOT more to design. And of course there MUST be a Jotenheim 3 because Jason and the market will demand fully balanced amp design to pair with Bifrost 2/64. Y'all see where this is going??? Jason is really going to have to pull some magic out of his hat for Jotenheim 3 even it that isn't for another 2 years.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #589 of 591
I'm very curious about the future of Schitt's amplifier line-up. So Midgard is a fantastic performer. The future Asgard+ (4) will surely employ the Halo technology with the balanced inputs and quasi-balanced output. This Asgard 4 with Halo then will absolutely eclipse the Jotenheim 2 which will stop selling. The Jotenheim 3 will have to knock it out of the park because Jason will likely not implement Halo with Jotenheim3 because that's a bit more complicated to implement with a balanced topography. So, Jotenheim 3, whenever that happens, will have to move up in price considerably to best the Asgard 4. I'm speculating of course, but Jotenheim 3 will have to perform at Aune S17Pro's performance level to sell well. So, I'm guessing that Jotenheim 3's price will climb to $699 as Asgard 4 w/Halo takes it's performance and price slot. Now, to best an Asgard 4 with Halo is going to start costing a LOT more to design. And of course there MUST be a Jotenheim 3 because Jason and the market will demand fully balanced amp design to pair with Bifrost 2/64. Y'all see where this is going??? Jason is really going to have to pull some magic out of his hat for Jotenheim 3 even it that isn't for another 2 years.
I don’t necessarily see Asgard 4 having to have Halo, it may stay as a single-ended amp only and possibly go down in price, or stay where it is and adopt some of the tech from the Pietus Maximus.

The way I see it the solid-state amp lineup could be:

Modi - inexpensive discrete single ended class AB

Asgard - affordable discrete single ended class A

Midgard - Affordable discrete halo class AB

Jotenheim - Mid-priced discrete fully balanced class AB

Mjolnir - Premium discrete fully balanced Class A

Ragbarok - Premium discrete ultra-high-power headphone amp that also drives speakers. High class A bias for headphones.

That’s how it stands now and not much has to change as things are improved.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #590 of 591
Hmm, not seeing Asgard 4 coming out as Halo. Why would they do that when they have Midgard and Jotunheim? I can see them trying to step up Jotunheim's game to make it clearly worth the upgrade from Midgard, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back