Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #571 of 591
Great now I want to try a lyr+
Well if that's the case let me tell you that you'd also be hearing more natural timbre, texture, better bass, and don't forget you can tube roll to even farther change things to your liking 😁

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #574 of 591
I have had Midgard here for months now.
Still superlative here...favorite dac is the low cost Modius E with the ESS dac chip.
With D8000 Pro planars its a wonderful pairing.

Clear, open and transparent.
Contrasting with Nitsch Piety that as more than enough power. the Piety is
warmer for sure..by a tad.

Better matched to my ear preference with the Midgard.

Splitting hairs here both good, but...

1711293223346.png

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #575 of 591
Some questions:

How does the Midgard compare to a Jotunheim with ES9028 DAC chip?

Either way, can the pre-outs be used to feed into studio monitors and will they be cut off if headphones are plugged in?
(I currently have a Destiny Aristaios Headphone amp that's lovely (tubes), but the line-out is always active.. )

If the device is fead through the RCA (from computer), can the Studio Monitors be connected via balanced cables and would that eliminate the stupid interferences from my computer? (I'm currently using (have been for over a decade, 3 different PC rigs, etc.) an ART DTI (dual transformer isolator) and that works very well, but obviously is far from "audiophile".. )

Would the Jotunheim bring that functionality? (if fed into the DAC and studio monitors hooked up to the XLR outputs, I mean)
Does the Jotunheim silence the output if headphones are plugged in?

And why is the Midgard only available in black.. urks..

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #576 of 591
Some questions:

How does the Midgard compare to a Jotunheim with ES9028 DAC chip?

Either way, can the pre-outs be used to feed into studio monitors and will they be cut off if headphones are plugged in?
(I currently have a Destiny Aristaios Headphone amp that's lovely (tubes), but the line-out is always active.. )

If the device is fead through the RCA (from computer), can the Studio Monitors be connected via balanced cables and would that eliminate the stupid interferences from my computer? (I'm currently using (have been for over a decade, 3 different PC rigs, etc.) an ART DTI (dual transformer isolator) and that works very well, but obviously is far from "audiophile".. )

Would the Jotunheim bring that functionality? (if fed into the DAC and studio monitors hooked up to the XLR outputs, I mean)
Does the Jotunheim silence the output if headphones are plugged in?

And why is the Midgard only available in black.. urks..

AFAIK, the internal ES9028 DAC module option of Jotunheim 2 has a balanced analog output stage, which should help reduce some (common-mode AC ground) interference from your PC. some versions of the Unison USB interface (such as those on Bifrost 2 and Yggdrasil DACs also offer electromagnetic isolation of the USB input to further reduce electrical noise from the USB digital source.

Jotunheim 2 has a front panel switch (rightmost of the group of three) to mute the rear-panel preamp outputs (both bal XLR and se RCA) independent of headphone out (both 6.35mm TRS & 4-pin XLR).

IIRC, preamp outputs of Midgard are always active.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #577 of 591
The Schiit Midgard's Halo really opens up the soundstage and brings a bit more bass into the music ! I compared both the unbalanced and balanced (Halo) by using the Hemp. I also tried the unbalanced Sr325x headphone and unfortunately it sounded brighter as usual (compared with other amps). It seems I will have to finish the Sr325x to a balanced one!

Attachments

• 20240325_172152.jpg
    20240325_172152.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #578 of 591
After about 30 minutes, I can hear some noise coming from the power supply. It's not much and it does not disturb the listening session (even with classical music)

Attachments

• 20240326_093912.jpg
    20240326_093912.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #579 of 591
After about 30 minutes, I can hear some noise coming from the power supply. It's not much and it does not disturb the listening session (even with classical music)
I had the same problem with a new Midgard (230 volt), although the noise started as soon as the power supply got connected to the mains, even when not connected to the Midgard. It was not noticable to me when listening on the headphones, but very annoying to other people in the room.
Problem was completely solved when I got a new power supply from the seller (Schiit Europe).

I hope you get it solved too - it is a very good amp, especially with HD650 and XLR-cable :)

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #580 of 591
My review for the midgard is up:

Schiit's done a great job with this. We couldn't find any evidence that the halo feedback is having much of an effect unfortunately, but the amp itself is great and I like it way more than the magnius

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #581 of 591
My review for the midgard is up:

Schiit's done a great job with this. We couldn't find any evidence that the halo feedback is having much of an effect unfortunately, but the amp itself is great and I like it way more than the magnius

Yes It is an excellent Amplifier - my only minor complaint is that the RCA / XLR output is still passed when headphones are connected, I would have loved if it automatically muted my speakers when I plug in a headphone

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #582 of 591
How does this sound with utopia og? I’m kinda curious about it, I needed a more neutralish amp

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #583 of 591
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #585 of 591

Users who are viewing this thread

Back