Schiit Mimby gets quite hot
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Frank161

Formerly known as FrankyBoy161
Hi everyone,

I have a Schiit Modi Multibit for a couple of weeks now and it's a great DAC, but I'm wondering how hot it's supposed to get. Mine becomes almost too warm to touch at the top. Is this normal behaviour? It's connected now with a USB cable from ghentaudio (which I got today) to my computer. The last couple of weeks it was connected with a cheap USB cable I had lying around, but it also got that warm when using that.

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 13
I doubt the usb cable is the issue; that's only sending digital data through so it shouldn't cause heat issues. My Modi 2 Uber doesn't get warm at all from what I remember. Good luck though

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 13
I doubt the usb cable is the issue; that's only sending digital data through so it shouldn't cause heat issues. My Modi 2 Uber doesn't get warm at all from what I remember. Good luck though
I doubt that too. I'm now testing the optical input (with a Chromecast Audio), but so far it isn't cooling down.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 13
Yes they get quite hot especially if you have them stacked with an amp.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 13
Schiit's multibit DACs only operate to spec when they reach thermal equilibrium. You're supposed to leave them on, and they're supposed to get hot. (I owned the Modi Multibit twice.)

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 13
That's actually a bit concerning. I hope it will last a long time, because it's not healthy for the electronics as far as I know. I don't have an amp stacked on it, it's beside the Mimby.
How long have you been around stereo equipment? Every audio equipment I have ever known has gotten quite hot. Better the heat radiate off then stay bottled up inside. Thats why there are heat sinks such as the metal housings they are enclosed in.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 13
I owned the Modi Multibit twice.
Just curious, but why two times?

How long have you been around stereo equipment?
Really good stereo equipment? A couple of weeks now :yum:. But I have know stereo equipment for about 5 years, but that's just normal stereo equipment which has nothing to do with audiophiles. I started looking more and more at the real things a couple of months ago and finally decided to step in this world a month ago.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 13
Just curious, but why two times?

For some inexplicable reason, it made crackling/popping noises, especially at the end of tracks...but no other DACs I had did. At first I thought something was wrong with it, so I had them replace it. However, both units were tested on their end, and they could not replicate the issue. The second one made the same odd noises. I already have a cheater plug on my laptop charger cable to remove ground loop noise, so I don't know what was causing it. I liked the sound more than any other DACs I've owned aside from Chord. But (mainly) because of the noise, I sold it.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 13
For some inexplicable reason, it made crackling/popping noises, especially at the end of tracks...but no other DACs I had did. At first I thought something was wrong with it, so I had them replace it. However, both units were tested on their end, and they could not replicate the issue. The second one made the same odd noises. I already have a cheater plug on my laptop charger cable to remove ground loop noise, so I don't know what was causing it. I liked the sound more than any other DACs I've owned aside from Chord. But (mainly) because of the noise, I sold it.
Mine did have the issue too, but at random intervals. The Windows drivers weren't installed completely, apparently you have to plug in the device, let Windows do it's thing, restart the computer, update the drivers and then restart again.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 13
Has anybody measured the temps of their Modi Multibit / Mimby / Modi MB ?

When operating normally ... it's at ~ 95F with ambient temps of ~ 75F. Please note ~ indicates approximate.

My first Modi MB failed in the first week ... hit over triple digit temps, shutdown, and then refused to turn back on.

Now my replacement unit started distorting. It was very hot to the touch at ~105F degrees (72F ambient) as measured externally. Power cycling the DAC resolved the distortion and returned temps to "normal."

Schiit support responded quickly, made sure I ran through the support steps, said they would RMA if distortion returned, and that Modi Multibit is a hot running DAC, so shouldn't be a safety issue.

I'd like to know if anyone has actually monitored and measured temps of their Modi Multibit / Mimby / Modi MB ?

Jan 6, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 13
Has anybody measured the temps of their Modi Multibit / Mimby / Modi MB ?

When operating normally ... it's at ~ 95F with ambient temps of ~ 75F. Please note ~ indicates approximate.

My first Modi MB failed in the first week ... hit over triple digit temps, shutdown, and then refused to turn back on.

Now my replacement unit started distorting. It was very hot to the touch at ~105F degrees (72F ambient) as measured externally. Power cycling the DAC resolved the distortion and returned temps to "normal."

Schiit support responded quickly, made sure I ran through the support steps, said they would RMA if distortion returned, and that Modi Multibit is a hot running DAC, so shouldn't be a safety issue.

I'd like to know if anyone has actually monitored and measured temps of their Modi Multibit / Mimby / Modi MB ?
I just measured mine. It's about 38C (~100F) on front and on top in a room of about 23C (~73F). There is a Schiit Sys and Schiit Magni 2U on top of the Mimby, so it's a little bit hotter than when it would be separate from the other units. Has been on for about 10-11 hours, so that's probably the maximum temperature.

The circuit and components are a lot warmer inside the Mimby and that's one of the reasons I will be selling it within a couple of months. I just don't like electronics that become unnecessarily hot, it affects the lifespan of the components and heats up my room.

Anyway, hope you have something with this information. Didn't really expect anyone replying to this post anymore, but it doesn't matter, that's why it's here anyway :wink:

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 13
I just measured mine. It's about 38C (~100F) on front and on top in a room of about 23C (~73F). There is a Schiit Sys and Schiit Magni 2U on top of the Mimby, so it's a little bit hotter than when it would be separate from the other units. Has been on for about 10-11 hours, so that's probably the maximum temperature.

The circuit and components are a lot warmer inside the Mimby and that's one of the reasons I will be selling it within a couple of months. I just don't like electronics that become unnecessarily hot, it affects the lifespan of the components and heats up my room.

Anyway, hope you have something with this information. Didn't really expect anyone replying to this post anymore, but it doesn't matter, that's why it's here anyway :wink:

Thank you for the reply! My Mimby is on top of a Mani ... and otherwise unobstructed. My measurements were from the top of the casing. The 5F differential between ours makes sense, as your Mimby is at the bottom of a stack.

I knew this was an old thread, but I've seen various reports of the Mimby running hot, and it is nice to have some actual data points reported.

I don't mind warm electronics ... my first 1Ghz CPU hit 150F+ under load ... but the TMax on that part was published, and it was easy to monitor / setup auto-shutdown provisions.

The temperature swings on the Mimby are little more concerning ... the AD5547 specifies a TMax of 125C which we're comfortably shy of ... but why the variance when environmental factors are stable? If I hadn't had one fail at high temps in the first week of ownership ... I'd be a little less anxious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back