Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #2,071 of 2,953
I might be selling my Gungnir Multibit with Unison or my OG Yggy after they have the Schiit DAC Battle Royale at my place this week.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #2,073 of 2,953
Has any of you asked Schiit EU about probable Mjolnir 3 availability in near future ?

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #2,074 of 2,953
Has any of you asked Schiit EU about probable Mjolnir 3 availability in near future ?
I would say, that is highly unlikely due to the high demand on the MJ3. They sell out from Schiit directly, so you are better off importing yourself like I do. As long as you don't mind the 2-3 months waiting time.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #2,075 of 2,953
I've been a lurker here for a while, but I'm hoping that I can add some color to the MJ3 / Tungsten discussion for anybody who might be interested. I attended Can Jam NYC bright and early and was able to spend some quiet time with both the Tungsten single and double sided versions. Long story short, the MJ3 powers both of them without too much trouble (settings: high gain, push/pull, feedback on). Volume was around the 1:00/1:30 mark for what I would estimate was a 70-75db SPL output. Other amps that I listened to were the Headamp GSX-mini, GSX, and CFA3. By comparison, the MJ3 sounded slightly less "open and spacious" on the Tungsten and, perhaps, a little power-deprived on the upper-mid and low frequencies. It didn't sound "bad" by any means though and I would be quite happy with this combination, especially for the price and build quality. The MJ3 was competent, and actually very nice to listen to on both of the Tungstens, but there was undoubtedly some headroom left for improvement. This wasn't apparent until switching to the higher-output class-A amps listed above. When listening to headphones that were easier to drive such as the DCA Expanse, Stealth, or E3, the MJ3 really came alive and was an absolute pleasure to listen to with plenty of bass, and "sparkle". Holographics were also improved with the easier-driving headphones. Again, the MJ3 may not be the best amp for such a power-hungry headphone like the Tungsten, but is was no slouch either. It is an excellent package at a very competitive price which I think would shine on the vast majority of headphones that you throw at it.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #2,076 of 2,953
I've been a lurker here for a while, but I'm hoping that I can add some color to the MJ3 / Tungsten discussion for anybody who might be interested. I attended Can Jam NYC bright and early and was able to spend some quiet time with both the Tungsten single and double sided versions. Long story short, the MJ3 powers both of them without too much trouble (settings: high gain, push/pull, feedback on). Volume was around the 1:00/1:30 mark for what I would estimate was a 70-75db SPL output. Other amps that I listened to were the Headamp GSX-mini, GSX, and CFA3. By comparison, the MJ3 sounded slightly less "open and spacious" on the Tungsten and, perhaps, a little power-deprived on the upper-mid and low frequencies. It didn't sound "bad" by any means though and I would be quite happy with this combination, especially for the price and build quality. The MJ3 was competent, and actually very nice to listen to on both of the Tungstens, but there was undoubtedly some headroom left for improvement. This wasn't apparent until switching to the higher-output class-A amps listed above. When listening to headphones that were easier to drive such as the DCA Expanse, Stealth, or E3, the MJ3 really came alive and was an absolute pleasure to listen to with plenty of bass, and "sparkle". Holographics were also improved with the easier-driving headphones. Again, the MJ3 may not be the best amp for such a power-hungry headphone like the Tungsten, but is was no slouch either. It is an excellent package at a very competitive price which I think would shine on the vast majority of headphones that you throw at it.
Thx for sharing your impressions, this is really interesting, so the MJ3 can drive the Tungsten but I think what we can take away from this is that Tungsten, like Susvara will scale with better amplification but you're going to be paying for that privilege, so it's going to be left to the individual if they're happy with what they get or the want absolute performance and don't mind paying a lot more to reach it.

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #2,077 of 2,953
I would like to recommend pre-amping the MJ3 with Susvara. There is a deeper body to the sound when pre-amping. If you are looking for more headroom and sound stage than what the MJ3 can offer you will need a more powerful amp.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,078 of 2,953
but I think what we can take away from this is that Tungsten, like Susvara will scale with better amplification but you're going to be paying for that privilege
I have a Susv, and alternate driving it with either an 8W 300B tube amp, or MJ3. The two amps trade a slight edge in various areas, but I can say the additional wattage does not make for absolute performance vs. MJ3

[EDIT] The 300B amp is a highly modified TU-8900 - silver coupling caps, high end transformers, resistors, pot, etc. Yea, MJ3 really holds its own.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #2,079 of 2,953
Has anybody tried the Empyrean 2 with the Mjolnir 3?

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #2,080 of 2,953
Has anybody tried the Empyrean 2 with the Mjolnir 3?
MJ3 is my favorite amp with the Empyrean OG. I've only demoed the Empy II off the Ferrum Oor, but given my own impressions of the Oor compared to MJ3 I would guess it's an equally good pairing.

I just sold off my Oor/Hypsos stack because I felt like MJ3 in low gain push-pull mode sounded better with every headphone I used to think sounded best on the Oor.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #2,082 of 2,953
The MJ3 has more tube like sound than my Lyr 3 but with all the benefits of an expensive SS amp. The highs can be a bit much since it hasn’t had time to break in but preamping with my Lyr 3 really gave it more body in the lower frequency while cutting off 60% of the harsh highs at the cost of about 10% of its clarity.

In terms of the Susvara, after the honeymoon period I do notice I am missing some headroom with the MJ3. A feeling that the Sus is still not driven to its best.

How did I come to that conclusion? Because my HEK stealth sounds so much better that it almost matched the Susvara in sound quality and clarity. With Susvara being the top rated headphone by everyone else that wouldn’t be possible unless the Susvara wasn’t driven to its best yet.

Waiting on my Flux Mentor later this week. Rated well for its ability to bring out the open soundstage and clarity of the Susvara. And maybe hooking up MJ3 as a preamp.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #2,083 of 2,953
The MJ3 has more tube like sound than my Lyr 3 but with all the benefits of an expensive SS amp. The highs can be a bit much since it hasn’t had time to break in but preamping with my Lyr 3 really gave it more body in the lower frequency while cutting off 60% of the harsh highs at the cost of about 10% of its clarity.

In terms of the Susvara, after the honeymoon period I do notice I am missing some headroom with the MJ3. A feeling that the Sus is still not driven to its best.

How did I come to that conclusion? Because my HEK stealth sounds so much better that it almost matched the Susvara in sound quality and clarity. With Susvara being the top rated headphone by everyone else that wouldn’t be possible unless the Susvara wasn’t driven to its best yet.

Waiting on my Flux Mentor later this week. Rated well for its ability to bring out the open soundstage and clarity of the Susvara. And maybe hooking up MJ3 as a preamp.
Really looking forward to your mentor impressions as well as how it compares to the MJ3.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #2,084 of 2,953

Mj3 pre-amping the Mentor stack! :L3000:
My Mentor and Yggy will be here Thursday. Can't wait to have the Mike Moffat DAC-off. (giggity)

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #2,085 of 2,953
so you are better off importing yourself like I do.
I thought about it but pure economy calculation favors EU distributor.
Ordering from schiit directly I would pay around 1750-1800$ considering all taxes in EU which translates to 6800-7000 PLN (Polish currency).
Schiit EU offers MJ3 at 1459 euros plus shipping ( I guess 50 to 75 euros) so I would end up with ~6500 PLN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back