Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 21, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #6,316 of 12,283
After a week of burn in and settling I'm really enjoying my whole setup. I got the lcd3fs at the same time and between the dac change and the headphones I'm in sonic bliss. Once my next day off hits I'm going to a/b Yggy VS my hddac1 then the Yggy with hd800 VS lcd3s

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #6,317 of 12,283
I see... You are going for the large size.

Thanks for clearing that up...thought I was looking wrong item...quite a pricy fuse no matter how you slice it...

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #6,318 of 12,283
BTW: I also purchased a tube extractor to make things easier to remove tubes or socket savers from the MJ2

GC ELECTRONICS 5092 VACUUM TUBE EXTRACTOR

These tube extractors work really well, super easy to use. The signature edition is kinda expensive though at $79 per square inch.

image.jpeg

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #6,319 of 12,283

These tube extractors work really well, super easy to use. The signature edition is kinda expensive though at $79 per square inch.

Hey, I have that same carpet non-slip pad, tube extractor. Works like a charm. :beerchug:

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #6,320 of 12,283
Thanks for clearing that up...thought I was looking wrong item...quite a pricey fuse no matter how you slice it...

Yes.... pricey. I was put off for a long time.

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #6,321 of 12,283
So, when I changed from integrated to a power amp, I was in the market for a preamp and then one of the fellow members suggested me to try TVCs (Transformer Volume Control). I did and got hold of Music First Audio Classic V2 and a Silvercore 324 and my current state is that I am scared of introducing power supply (read active preamp) in between Yggy and power amplifier.

Why this post here??? Because, these two passive preamplifiers let me see real face of Yggy (much better than what I had been listening to for last two years through Yggy). Yggy is so dead neutral that you change album, it clearly tells the difference in recordings.
Also, this tells why Schiit does not have volume controls in their DACs because unless it is done correctly (that costs lot of money and will add to the cost of DAC), it will eclipse the performance of DACs.

With the introduction of these passives, the changes were so positive, I thought, would be nice to share with you all. And, yes, I did compare these passives with some very expensive active preamps too.

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #6,323 of 12,283
So, when I changed from integrated to a power amp, I was in the market for a preamp and then one of the fellow members suggested me to try TVCs (Transformer Volume Control). I did and got hold of Music First Audio Classic V2 and a Silvercore 324 and my current state is that I am scared of introducing power supply (read active preamp) in between Yggy and power amplifier.

Why this post here??? Because, these two passive preamplifiers let me see real face of Yggy (much better than what I had been listening to for last two years through Yggy). Yggy is so dead neutral that you change album, it clearly tells the difference in recordings.
Also, this tells why Schiit does not have volume controls in their DACs because unless it is done correctly (that costs lot of money and will add to the cost of DAC), it will eclipse the performance of DACs.

With the introduction of these passives, the changes were so positive, I thought, would be nice to share with you all. And, yes, I did compare these passives with some very expensive active preamps too.

I use a Violectric V281 as a preamp (volume control) between my Yggy and tube amp (WA22).

I find it has a positive effect as well.

I noted a smoother sound especially in the upper treble (although it is notable in other frequencies as well) compared to inputting the Yggy directly.

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #6,324 of 12,283

Thank you for the impressions. I’ve also been considering passive p.m. I have found some of those photo will change preamp do have some good reviews. Truth be told I am a little wary of . Passive units. I had one before but I’m pretty sure I had a bad impedance mismatch. I had a very clear and Analog type of experience.but I found a bit of bloat in the bass and a slight softening of dynamics and treble. I am considering something like the audio God he-1 active preamp.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #6,325 of 12,283
Yes Yggy is a bit like Fort Knox to get into ( I believe I made this same comment in an earlier post.....) But it surely can be done - at the risk of voiding your warranty!

The fuse you are looking for is: 5x20mm / slow blo / 630ma / 250V ----- NOTE: This is for the North American version. Yggy's destined for other world markets may have different fuse spec's.

If you choose to take the risk of opening your Yggy - take your time! There's lots of screws to remove and one data cable connected to the front panel that needs to be disconnected.
Also, Yggy is quite heavy, so open it on a stable surface - Table etc... where you have ample room to work. When putting it back together, remember to not over-tighten the screws. It's very easy to strip some of the threads - especially those along the rear I/O panel.

Good luck :)

Just for the record.... I have not changed my fuse.

But, I have contacted some who have done so. I was told its not slow blow. Its fast blow. Can you verify the markings on the fuse, please? T or F? T630mA, or F630mA?

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #6,327 of 12,283
Is there any sonic differences between slow & fast blow fuses or is that solely rated for different safety precautions?

If its supposed to be fast blow? And you use slow blow? SAFETY!

If its supposed to be slow blow, and you put in fast? It can blow the fuse on turn on.

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #6,329 of 12,283
It's definitely Fast Blow "F" (630mA)
Not sure why I said Slow before, but that's wrong... It's Fast Blow 100%

What were your impressions after the change? What audiophile fuse did you choose?

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #6,330 of 12,283
What were your impressions after the change? What audiophile fuse did you choose?

I've used both Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme and currently Furutech (the blue ones).

The most obvious sonic attribute to both is simply more end to end transparency. Hi-Fi Tuning filled out the bottom end a bit more, but at the same time seemed just a touch bright in the upper midrange - thus I ended up with the Furutech in most of my gear, which I find to be a nice overall balance sonically.

I've heard good things about the Synergistic Research line as well, but haven't tried them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back