Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 24, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #6,331 of 12,283
I've used both Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme and currently Furutech (the blue ones).

The most obvious sonic attribute to both is simply more end to end transparency. Hi-Fi Tuning filled out the bottom end a bit more, but at the same time seemed just a touch bright in the upper midrange - thus I ended up with the Furutech in most of my gear, which I find to be a nice overall balance sonically.

I've heard good things about the Synergistic Research line as well, but haven't tried them.
Thanks...

Dec 25, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #6,332 of 12,283
I am currently running the Synergistic Research (SR) Black fuse in the Jggy.
It was a marked step up from the SR Red fuse it had previously.

And I have tried Hi-Fi tuning, the furutech and one or 2 others.
For me in my system I prefer the SR red's/black's to anything else I have used.
It is a rather weighty pill to swallow in that they are WAY overpriced, but they do deliver 'better' SQ, so there is at least some justification for the outlandish prices they charge.

I have not tried their latest iteration, the Blue fuses, which are again, even more WAY over priced.
But then that is my opinion of the entire SR line of products.

JJ

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #6,333 of 12,283
Regarding rebooting the Yggdrasil, has anyone found any pattern? If I leave the Yggdrasil on for days and switching amongst my streamer, USB and optical (from my TV), it sometimes falls into a state where it sounds like volume is reduced digitally. The sound was less dynamic and especially the highs lost the glow. It can easily be cured by a reboot, but @Baldr is there any data of any form we can get to you or is that a known issue (would it be fixed down the road?)

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #6,334 of 12,283
Regarding rebooting the Yggdrasil, has anyone found any pattern? If I leave the Yggdrasil on for days and switching amongst my streamer, USB and optical (from my TV), it sometimes falls into a state where it sounds like volume is reduced digitally. The sound was less dynamic and especially the highs lost the glow. It can easily be cured by a reboot, but @Baldr is there any data of any form we can get to you or is that a known issue (would it be fixed down the road?)

Holy cow! I just contacted Schiit support over this very same thing and awaiting an answer. I turned off my Yggy for a day and tried another DAC... Looks like you just answered a question about an apparent idiosyncrasy with the Yggy. I solely use USB.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #6,335 of 12,283

It is a rather weighty pill to swallow in that they are WAY overpriced, but they do deliver 'better' SQ, so there is at least some justification for the outlandish prices they charge.

I have not tried their latest iteration, the Blue fuses, which are again, even more WAY over priced.

JJ

May I suggest? Before you do that? Try this... http://www.audio-horizons.com/pages/fuse.html

While using another good DAC/preamp before getting the Yggy.. I had to remove this fuse because my apartment neighbor knocked on the wall after listening with it. It gives a very satisfying full sound with clarity. I was sitting there being mesmerized by how what I was hearing sounded very much like a real live performance (not playing very loud) and how it had the fullness only heard in a hall. That is when the knocking took place. I had to put it back in its box and go back to the Hi Fi Tuning Fuse Supreme.

FNM_fuse_1.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #6,336 of 12,283

Yes. Unfortunately this is something Schiit rudely (when and if responding) has no answer for. When powered on, the VCO/VCXO light flashes 25 times *including* the initial illumination. The light is initialized steady for approximately 1 second before flashing begins. The source light also comes on initially and then goes dim during boot up. I will say I "like": the boot-up sequence including the relays as it is predictable and reliable (thus far).

The unit comes to full temp (89 degrees F external) within 90 minutes. it sounds practically the same from an initial startup. The difference is so slight that kudos to those who can hear a difference and elect to leave it on 24/7 (which is NG for the electronic parts). I take solace in knowing that as I'm listening it's only getting/sounding better. But Schiit ought to be more forthcoming about the boot up sequence and their email response to me when I asked was certainly less than desirable or professional. Sorry, I call it as I see (or hear) it . Happy Holidays.

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #6,337 of 12,283
Yes. Unfortunately this is something Schiit rudely (when and if responding) has no answer for. When powered on, the VCO/VCXO light flashes 25 times *including* the initial illumination. The light is initialized steady for approximately 1 second before flashing begins. The source light also comes on initially and then goes dim during boot up. I will say I "like": the boot-up sequence including the relays as it is predictable and reliable (thus far).

The unit comes to full temp (89 degrees F external) within 90 minutes. it sounds practically the same from an initial startup. The difference is so slight that kudos to those who can hear a difference and elect to leave it on 24/7 (which is NG for the electronic parts). I take solace in knowing that as I'm listening it's only getting/sounding better. But Schiit ought to be more forthcoming about the boot up sequence and their email response to me when I asked was certainly less than desirable or professional. Sorry, I call it as I see (or hear) it . Happy Holidays.
They do have a problem with appearing to be rude. I think they are really not having all the answers yet and are trying to cope with the unexpected.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #6,339 of 12,283
All you guys do is complain......

Agreed. They make out this DAC is rubbish. Boy have I tried a lot of crap DAC's before landing on the Yggy.

It sounds the best by a large margin and I just turn it on and use. Works flawlessly for me.

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #6,340 of 12,283
@winders and @Badas

Not true. I recognize the Yggdrasil greatness as much as you do. Hence the reason that, presumably like you, I own and listen to one on a daily basis. That said, it doesn't mean there aren't things Schiit as a company/organization cannot and should not do better. All things can be improved. Sorry if the truth offends you.

My job is to shed light, and not to master.

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #6,341 of 12,283
All you guys do is complain......

Why are you complaining about our reasons for complaint? There are some issues that need to be addressed.

I would still recommend the Yggy to anyone. You seem to worship at the Temple of Schiit. I do not even think the owners do. But, you do.

Companies improve. Some do not. All need to. Without complaints from within ... and coming from the outside..... they will not see as easily what needs to be addressed.

Companies that listen always improve, like Honda does... keeping the quality up . Arrogant companies, like GM used to be... chase people to Honda. Cadillac was not enough to keep respect for GM upward. GM for years ignored the owners and car magazines criticisms. They need all to listen. Put aside the petty complaints, and serve the valid ones. Listening to criticisms and weighing their validity can improve things when followed through.

This is one big problem that has not been resolved. Look at all the audio companies out there. Are they not regulated by the same laws? So, why is Schiit been singled out to forbid even a simple fuse change? Other companies may even welcome such experimentation.

When something does not sit right, you try shifting to see if you can be made comfortable.

Some worship, not appreciate. Schiit is not a religion. Some make it that. "How dare you insult the high priest of the gods! "

Relax... its all a part of a process for progress where progress is needed at times.

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #6,342 of 12,283
I've used both Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme and currently Furutech (the blue ones).

The most obvious sonic attribute to both is simply more end to end transparency. Hi-Fi Tuning filled out the bottom end a bit more, but at the same time seemed just a touch bright in the upper midrange - thus I ended up with the Furutech in most of my gear, which I find to be a nice overall balance sonically.

I've heard good things about the Synergistic Research line as well, but haven't tried them.

If you can sonically hear a difference with fuses I highly suggest looking into some power conditioning and power cords swaps. I've resorted to passive power conditioning from Blue circle and I use it both for both my headphone and 2 channel/HT theater setups.

I think many hear may find that having both tube and solid state configurations to be beneficial depending on genre. Just like having several pairs of HP mixes your options.

I still haven't auditioned yggy.

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,343 of 12,283
Let's see....I sold my Vidar amp, I sold my Freya preamp, and I am about to sell my Yggdrasil DAC. All replaced by other products. Hardly a worshipper.....

It's one thing to mention things you would like to be different. It's another to incessantly bitch about them. Send an email to info@schiit.com about it and give it a rest.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #6,344 of 12,283
Let's see....I sold my Vidar amp, I sold my Freya preamp, and I am about to sell my Yggdrasil DAC. All replaced by other products. Hardly a worshipper.....

It's one thing to mention thongs you would like to be different. It's another to incessantly bitch about them. Send an email to info@schiit.com about it and give it a rest.

You shouldn't mention thongs in this thread. :ksc75smile:

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #6,345 of 12,283

JJ

If you have positive results in your system, $100 - $150 is reasonable.

I've certainly had too many "side-grades" that were way more costly than that (and are in boxes in the garage now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back