Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 26, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #6,361 of 12,283
Hmmm....nowhere did I complain about the performance nor did I say I was unsatisfied with Vidar, Freya, or Yggdrasil. At their price points, I don't know that there is a better amp than Vidar or a better preamp with Freya's feature set. I am convinced that you cannot buy a better DAC than Yggdrasil under for $5500.

Having said that, I was not satisfied with how my system sounded. I was confident that my speakers were what I wanted. But, I did feel that I could improve the sound with a better amp and preamp. The first step was replacing Vidar with the Pioneer M-22. It's late 70's early 80's Class A 30 watt amp that is just special. If it were made today, it would cost ver $5000. It's bass is just a bit better than Vidar. Where the M-22 really shines over Vidar is in the mids and highs. It is spectacular there. The preamp I have now, the Don Sachs Model 2, is four times the price of Freya. It was custom made to match the M-22 and also a tube amp I have my eye on that I may buy someday. It is not as flexible as Freya as it does not offer a passive or JFET modes nor is it fully balanced. It has only a tube gain stage mode and has balanced in but is converted to SE internally. But it does that tube mode exceedingly well and I don't need balanced out. The Don Sachs Model 2 has been everything I hoped it would be. So far, I am 2 for 2 but at a significant uptick in price.

Yggdrasil is a whole different topic. The PS Audio DirectStream that I am evaluating right now costs, at retail, 2.6x what Yggdrasil costs. I am having hard time finding significant differences in sound between the two. In fact, I would be very happy owning either one. The places where the DirectStream (with the Red Cloud code) stands out is the much blacker background, the 3D soundstage, and overall musicality. The DirectStream has some other features that are enticing. First, the unit I have has a Bridge II card installed which allows the DAC to become a Roon endpoint. I just plug it into Ethernet and it go. I don't need an ultraRendu or anything like it. The DirectStream also supports DSD and, with the Bridge II card, MQA. I am not into either one of those at this time, but having that flexibility is only a positive. Finally, the DirectStream is field upgradable as it does not use any DAC chip. It uses FPGA's. So Ted Smith can do his magic and an upgrade can improve the DirectStream so much it is like getting a new DAC. I am still listening to both and have not made a final decision as to which DAC I am going to keep. But I am leaning toward keeping the DirectStream. Of course, it helps that I picked it up for one heck of a killer price.

The bottom line here is that Schiit makes some really great products. Especially when you factor in the value they offer. But, that doesn't mean that, if you are willing to spend the money, you can't get better sounding components.
Unless you want to make someone's day in being able to score a second hand Yggdrasil.........Keep the YGGY........ :ksc75smile::L3000:

Dec 29, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #6,363 of 12,283
Yeah I can just hear it now.
"Why these fuses are a bargain, a bargain I tell's ya…

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Dec 29, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #6,364 of 12,283
Unless you want to make someone's day in being able to score a second hand Yggdrasil.........Keep the YGGY........ :ksc75smile::L3000:

My Yggdrasil is for sale......

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #6,366 of 12,283
Has anybody compared YGGY to Meitner MA-1 by any chances? If so what were the impressions?

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #6,367 of 12,283
The new Beeswax fuse is supposed to be good as well, but it's even more expensive than the Synergistic Research Blue!

More money does not mean it will sound better for your system. There comes a point where improving sound ends, and seeking the exotic begins.

Dec 29, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #6,369 of 12,283
My friend compared the SR Black to the previous generation Beeswax and liked the Beeswax better.

On his system it was. Its not universal. The only thing that can be said is that they are different. I did not like the Black and preferred the less expensive Hi Fi Tuning Supreme in my system.

If you want to know how your system would really should sound is to remove the fuse and put a solid copper tube across the fuse holder. After you do that? Then see how the fuses can match that sound. But, its dangerous to listen without a fuse. That's why we have them.

Fuse designers are learning ways to manipulate the sound in how they construct them. And, raising prices as a marketing ploy, as to the more they cost we should believe the better they should sound.

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,371 of 12,283
I agree and wasn't implying that it's universal. Another user said he preferred the SR Black to the Blue on his Audio Research REF6 preamp.

No problem.... Yes..you were not implying anything. You simply left it open left to that kind of speculation and presumption.

One thing I believe most of us can agree on. Almost any audio fuse will improve what's heard over the utilitarian glass fuses.

Interestingly... I must say. The Yggy is the best sounding DAC I have yet to hear with only a glass fuse in it. Since Schiit will not let us know, I am assuming its glass.

Dec 29, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #6,372 of 12,283
It's definitely Fast Blow "F" (630mA)
Not sure why I said Slow before, but that's wrong... It's Fast Blow 100%

Just to set the record straight. I contacted Eric who showed the tweaks for the Yggy online. He said his unit has a 1 amp fast blow. Apparently, Schiit must have changed to a different value. When did you buy yours?

Possibly at a time after an upgrade they made this change?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #6,373 of 12,283
Just to set the record straight. I contacted Eric who showed the tweaks for the Yggy online. He said his unit has a 1 amp fast blow. Apparently, Schiit must have changed to a different value. When did you buy yours?

Possibly at a time after an upgrade they made this change?

To play it safe, the absolute best thing to do is open your Yggy and see what the stock fuse is before you hunt down a replacement.
My current unit is #444 and both it and my first Yggy (#308 seems to ring a bell ??) had/have 630mA stock fuses.

Sure you could put a 1A fuse in as a replacement.... it will work, but you run a higher risk for potential damage as the fuse may not blow as quick as it should. Granted it's unlikely... but still....

Dec 29, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #6,374 of 12,283
To play it safe, the absolute best thing to do is open your Yggy and see what the stock fuse is before you hunt down a replacement.
My current unit is #444 and both it and my first Yggy (#308 seems to ring a bell ??) had/have 630mA stock fuses.

Sure you could put a 1A fuse in as a replacement.... it will work, but you run a higher risk for potential damage as the fuse may not blow as quick as it should. Granted it's unlikely... but still....

Understood. But some here reading what you found may want to order a 630mA fuse only to discover Schiit deemed a 1A fuse for their unit. Its got me confused at this point.

Dec 29, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #6,375 of 12,283
Understood. But some here reading what you found may want to order a 630mA fuse only to discover Schiit deemed a 1A fuse for their unit. Its got me confused at this point.

There's no confusion here? My Yggdrasil (two of them) came stock with a 630mA fuse.
Any manufacture can change their BOM parts list at any time for a given product (for whatever reason), so before changing/modding any component it's ALWAYS best to confirm the original part used in your unit first.

10 minutes of extra work now can save a lot of potential hassle down the road :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back