Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #6,167 of 7,535
I have to agree. The soundstage in the 598s is great, but you need the proper source to reach their full potential.

In my personal experience, listening to vinyl records on my dad's receiver makes them sound beautiful and really open; they also sound wonderful through his laptop which supposedly has a B&O DAC (hence why I love so much visiting dad on weekends XD), but from my PC and smartphone (i have an LG G4... Wish I had waited a couple of months to get the V10...), while they still sound open in comparison to most headphones, the upgrade in quality is not as noticeable and sound much more closed than when run through my dad's rig.

Also, these don't need power, they are very efficient headphones and can get pretty loud even from my phone without any distortion. With the 598s it is not a matter of power, it's all about the source. On the contrary, they say that every chain is as strong as its weakest link, so if you have a good source (DAC, soundcard, stereo, receiver) but a poor amp, instead of benefitting your sound, you're going to degrade it. So I'd say save yourself some money and don't buy an amp (unless you're planning to upgrade to something more power-hungry), better invest in a good DAC and you're done with the HD 598.

My only complaint is that the fake leather headband, which so many rewviers have praised, feels awkward to me. To the hand, it feels so plushy you can see why people praise it so much. But once it sits atop your head... Not so much. If you watch any video, you'll see the reviewers squishing it with their hands to show how soft it is; but look closer and you'll find it acts as an elastic: if you apply some pressure on it, it changes its shape and stays like that shortly, but after a while it goes back to its original position. Therefore, when you put it on your head, it squishes against it for a while and you adjust the length accordingly; but after a while, it goes back to its position, moving the earculps slightly, and then you have to readjust the headband. Because of this, I have to adjust it every once in a while. I'd rather have the velour, pillow-like headband of the 558 - softer and stays in place. I still wonder why the cheaper model has the better headband... but I digress. The HD5 598 are not uncomfortable by any means, but they can do better.

All in all, I think they're the best open headphone in its pricerange. Unless you're planning to upgrade to the HD600 or get some planars, these are the best cans you can get.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #6,171 of 7,535
@VeggiePopper  Agree about the headband on the 598.  When I first got them, I noticed that they pressed a bit on top of my head.  Not uncomfortably so, but enough that I could feel a bit of constant pressure.  I was a bit surprised by that considering how thick and soft the headband is to the touch.  What worked for me is extending the earcups out by a couple of notches.  It was only after I did this that I realized that I initially had them sized too tightly for my head.  They fit, but they pressed too much on top.  Sizing them out a bit fixed the issue for me.  Super comfy since then.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #6,172 of 7,535
  This is a bit OT but, any DAC suggestions for 100-120$ ?

I recently went through the process of upgrading my Fiio E10K and tried a few different USB DACs under $150.  If you can stretch your budget a bit, or find one used, then I highly recommend the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2.  It's a superb DAC and stands at a higher level than the others I tried.  It does offer a very wide and accurate soundstage (compared with the others) with very good imaging and sound localization.  Very spacious sound with depth and layering.  Check out my review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audioquest-dragonfly-v1-2-usb-dac/reviews/15710

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #6,173 of 7,535

I recently went through the process of upgrading my Fiio E10K and tried a few different USB DACs under $150.  If you can stretch your budget a bit, or find one used, then I highly recommend the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2.  It's a superb DAC and stands at a higher level than the others I tried.  It does offer a very wide and accurate soundstage (compared with the others) with very good imaging and sound localization.  Very spacious sound with depth and layering.  Check out my review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audioquest-dragonfly-v1-2-usb-dac/reviews/15710

What about the Dacport slim? I haven't done much research but I think there should be better alternatives to the dragonfly v2.

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #6,175 of 7,535
  What about the Dacport slim? I haven't done much research but I think there should be better alternatives to the dragonfly v2.

Yes. From what I read, Slim might be the best value: $99 on massdrop.
But pay attention to one fact. Both slim and dragonfly have no line out. But the Meridian Explorer has line out. Actually I never use the headphone out of the Explorer. Usually such USB DAC cannot have a strong amplifier part. I believe even Dragonfly v2 better than explorer, it's from amplifier part. Explorer is an amazing DAC. When it lines out to a better amplifier, it's much better than its HO.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #6,176 of 7,535
  Yes. From what I read, Slim might be the best value: $99 on massdrop.
But pay attention to one fact. Both slim and dragonfly have no line out. But the Meridian Explorer has line out. Actually I never use the headphone out of the Explorer. Usually such USB DAC cannot have a strong amplifier part. I believe even Dragonfly v2 better than explorer, it's from amplifier part. Explorer is an amazing DAC. When it lines out to a better amplifier, it's much better than its HO.

Yes, DF has no dedicated line level out.  However, Audioquest advertises it as both a variable headphone output and fixed output for connecting to preamp or amp, with the latter requiring setting the PC volume to max.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #6,177 of 7,535
I know this sounds kind of weird/stupid but I recently came under immense boredom as my Jupiters are being sent for repair, so I'm stuck with my apple earpods and 598s. With the said boredom, whilst listening to "Body Talk by Dimitri Vegas" (EDM) on the 598s through my Mojo and iPhone 6, my mind was thinking "I need more bass on this b*tch" and suddenly my eyes fell upon my earpods on the table. And I got the stupid idea of running the earpods and 598s concurrently since the mojo has 2 outputs. So I plugged the pods in and fitted them rather loosely in my ears and cupped them over with the 598s and what a weeeeeeird but very interesting combination of intimacy and wideness. The pods provide the intimacy of lows and mids whilst the 598s enhances the background, soundstage, reverberation, thickness/ fullness and detail I can't put it quite to words yet as I'm currently riding my stupid idea as I'm typing this. So do post your thoughts on this lol

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #6,178 of 7,535
I know this sounds kind of weird/stupid but I recently came under immense boredom as my Jupiters are being sent for repair, so I'm stuck with my apple earpods and 598s. With the said boredom, whilst listening to "Body Talk by Dimitri Vegas" (EDM) on the 598s through my Mojo and iPhone 6, my mind was thinking "I need more bass on this b*tch" and suddenly my eyes fell upon my earpods on the table. And I got the stupid idea of running the earpods and 598s concurrently since the mojo has 2 outputs. So I plugged the pods in and fitted them rather loosely in my ears and cupped them over with the 598s and what a weeeeeeird but very interesting combination of intimacy and wideness. The pods provide the intimacy of lows and mids whilst the 598s enhances the background, soundstage, reverberation, thickness/ fullness and detail I can't put it quite to words yet as I'm currently riding my stupid idea as I'm typing this. So do post your thoughts on this lol

Lol! Interesting discovery, I have a uca 202, I'll try it out with 598 and zen2. :p this is gonna be fun.

On another note, ordered the SHP9500 today, deal was good for 60$

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #6,180 of 7,535
Lol! Interesting discovery, I have a uca 202, I'll try it out with 598 and zen2.
tongue.gif
this is gonna be fun.

On another note, ordered the SHP9500 today, deal was good for 60$

Wow those Zen v2s are not cheap for earbuds, anyways you can sort of "tune" the sound by tugging on the buds to make it looser after having them clamped down with the 598s. I found the sound was quite pleasant after tugging my earpods to the degree where they are just sitting just outside my canals. Very fun and stupid idea this hahhahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back