Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #6,181 of 7,535
  I know this sounds kind of weird/stupid but I recently came under immense boredom as my Jupiters are being sent for repair, so I'm stuck with my apple earpods and 598s. With the said boredom, whilst listening to "Body Talk by Dimitri Vegas" (EDM) on the 598s through my Mojo and iPhone 6, my mind was thinking "I need more bass on this b*tch" and suddenly my eyes fell upon my earpods on the table. And I got the stupid idea of running the earpods and 598s concurrently since the mojo has 2 outputs. So I plugged the pods in and fitted them rather loosely in my ears and cupped them over with the 598s and what a weeeeeeird but very interesting combination of intimacy and wideness. The pods provide the intimacy of lows and mids whilst the 598s enhances the background, soundstage, reverberation, thickness/ fullness and detail I can't put it quite to words yet as I'm currently riding my stupid idea as I'm typing this. So do post your thoughts on this lol

I tried something like this once with a set of open cans and my speaker system. It sounded pretty darn good. Lol. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #6,182 of 7,535
  I know this sounds kind of weird/stupid but I recently came under immense boredom as my Jupiters are being sent for repair, so I'm stuck with my apple earpods and 598s. With the said boredom, whilst listening to "Body Talk by Dimitri Vegas" (EDM) on the 598s through my Mojo and iPhone 6, my mind was thinking "I need more bass on this b*tch" and suddenly my eyes fell upon my earpods on the table. And I got the stupid idea of running the earpods and 598s concurrently since the mojo has 2 outputs. So I plugged the pods in and fitted them rather loosely in my ears and cupped them over with the 598s and what a weeeeeeird but very interesting combination of intimacy and wideness. The pods provide the intimacy of lows and mids whilst the 598s enhances the background, soundstage, reverberation, thickness/ fullness and detail I can't put it quite to words yet as I'm currently riding my stupid idea as I'm typing this. So do post your thoughts on this lol

So you basically had a dual driver set up in each ear.  I always wondered why you never see full size cans with 2-way designs, tweeter and woofer, like you do with speakers.  Probably because wouldn't have the same effect being so close to your ear.  I get that your experiment isn't a tweeter/woofer set up but rather 2 full range drivers, but still that's what your post has me thinking.

And yes, the 598s lack enough bass for EDM and most electronic, bass-driven music, IMO.  That is why I use Equalizer APO to add in some bass for those genres.  Works very well.  Shortcomings in tonality are a lot easier to fix with EQ.  Things like soundstage, imaging, detail, resolution cannot be easily fixed.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #6,183 of 7,535
Lol! Interesting discovery, I have a uca 202, I'll try it out with 598 and zen2.
tongue.gif
this is gonna be fun.

On another note, ordered the SHP9500 today, deal was good for 60$

Definitely let us know how the 9500 compares to the 598.  I've read it doesn't have nearly the same soundstage and spacious sound as the 598, so that kind of ended my interest in it right there.

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #6,184 of 7,535

So you basically had a dual driver set up in each ear.  I always wondered why you never see full size cans with 2-way designs, tweeter and woofer, like you do with speakers.  Probably because wouldn't have the same effect being so close to your ear.  I get that your experiment isn't a tweeter/woofer set up but rather 2 full range drivers, but still that's what your post has me thinking.

And yes, the 598s lack enough bass for EDM and most electronic, bass-driven music, IMO.  That is why I use Equalizer APO to add in some bass for those genres.  Works very well.  Shortcomings in tonality are a lot easier to fix with EQ.  Things like soundstage, imaging, detail, resolution cannot be easily fixed.

I'm pretty new to Headphones, as I'm normally an IEM type of guy (Really biased against headphones) the only reason I got the 598s were the fact that they were selling at $100sgd and they were the ones that actually piqued my interest amongst the plethora of headphones in that shop. And couple that with the fact I'm as clueless to headphones as I am to trump's recent change in behaviour

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #6,185 of 7,535

I sort of waffle on this. I am not an edm person, I listen to mostly classical and jazz. But sometimes I think my ivory 598 has enough oomph down low and other times, I find it lacking. And I don't think it's so much the music. I think it's me, with some kind of shifting need for bass from hour to hour or day to day. It's weird. Don't know what to think of it. Maybe I'm just a fickle head-fier. :frowning2:

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #6,186 of 7,535
Definitely let us know how the 9500 compares to the 598.  I've read it doesn't have nearly the same soundstage and spacious sound as the 598, so that kind of ended my interest in it right there.

I will do a vs review after spending a good amount of quality time with both. Yes, the soundstage isn't as Big as the senn's but otherwise it should be a formidable opponent

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #6,187 of 7,535
I wonder how much it costs to get an hd598 repaired.  There's a vibration in the left cup whenever bass is present.  Then again, I don't really use it anymore...  so I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #6,188 of 7,535
  I wonder how much it costs to get an hd598 repaired.  There's a vibration in the left cup whenever bass is present.  Then again, I don't really use it anymore...  so I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort.

You may want to email [support2@sennheiser.com] or call [877-736-6434] our Customer Service Team and they will be happy to assist!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Apr 14, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #6,192 of 7,535
I just bought the special editions off Amazon, and I was wondering how well the x3II pair up with them. Will it be sufficient or should I go for an external amp?

It's more than enough, 598's are easy to drive.

In my opinion it's not about driving them, although they do benefit from an amp, if only slightly. The biggest difference I noticed was a good DAC. The Modi 2 Uber makes by far the most difference in my setup and is superb for the money. Of course you will need an amplifier to go after the modi, and for that I use a Vali 2 and a Magni 2.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #6,193 of 7,535

I sort of waffle on this. I am not an edm person, I listen to mostly classical and jazz. But sometimes I think my ivory 598 has enough oomph down low and other times, I find it lacking. And I don't think it's so much the music. I think it's me, with some kind of shifting need for bass from hour to hour or day to day. It's weird. Don't know what to think of it. Maybe I'm just a fickle head-fier. :frowning2:

I don't listen to edm often, my ears mainly thrive off pop, rock, jazz (Michael Buble), and 80's 90's classics (Donny Osmond). I'm running the 598s concurrently with my loaner rha s500s. Sounds pretty warm, lush with a lot of bang on the bass. Those tiny little buds do give off a lot of bass for it's size.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #6,194 of 7,535
I have had my ivory hd598s for a month now.... Have to admit, they are pretty good.... Good to the point that my 80ohm dt770s and COP plus are now collecting dust.... I do miss a bit of power on the bass on edm and punk rock of course, but still, there is something on the combination of highs mids and soundstage that makes he hd598 immersive and almost hipnotic.

This cames from a guy that is used to the hd25s, m50xs and over ear momentums.... This headphones are definitly not shy on bass quantity and impact....

Think i will sell my dt770s (not feeling them, sound a bit unnatural to me and the bass lacks the impact i was expecting) and cops to make a comeback to the hd25s as a complement to the hd598.... Still debating if should get a regular hd25 or the aluminium ones.... I loved the original hd25 and at the time i got the amperiors thinking it was a upgrade and i regreted instantly.... It was a bloated hd25, with worse mids and highs (more laidback but at the same time vocals sounded muffled).... So i am not sure if the ALUs deserve a chance after the amperior experience.....

After testing the hd598 now i would like to have the other hd5*8 to compare.... :D

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #6,195 of 7,535
I have had my ivory hd598s for a month now.... Have to admit, they are pretty good.... Good to the point that my 80ohm dt770s and COP plus are now collecting dust.... I do miss a bit of power on the bass on edm and punk rock of course, but still, there is something on the combination of highs mids and soundstage that makes he hd598 immersive and almost hipnotic.

This cames from a guy that is used to the hd25s, m50xs and over ear momentums.... This headphones are definitly not shy on bass quantity and impact....

Think i will sell my dt770s (not feeling them, sound a bit unnatural to me and the bass lacks the impact i was expecting) and cops to make a comeback to the hd25s as a complement to the hd598.... Still debating if should get a regular hd25 or the aluminium ones.... I loved the original hd25 and at the time i got the amperiors thinking it was a upgrade and i regreted instantly.... It was a bloated hd25, with worse mids and highs (more laidback but at the same time vocals sounded muffled).... So i am not sure if the ALUs deserve a chance after the amperior experience.....

After testing the hd598 now i would like to have the other hd5*8 to compare....
biggrin.gif

Great to know this. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back