Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #6,226 of 7,535
Hello friends,
I got new Sennheiser HD598SE and it's amazing BUT...

The headphones volume is now on maximum and it's still a little bit low for me. I know that with headphones like this, for better performance, amp or special sound card is required.
My budget is 50$ (Maximum). I don't really know what to buy, amp or sound card.
I want to hear more loudly and improve the sound quality.
Now my headphones connected directly to the motherboard.

Thank you very much for the support.

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #6,227 of 7,535
  Hello friends,

The headphones volume is now on maximum and it's still a little bit low for me. I know that with headphones like this, for better performance, amp or special sound card is required.

$50 doesn't get you much, so your options are limited. Wouldn't recommend just an amp as connecting it to your motherboard will just make it louder, and actually amplify the garbage in the audio. For under $50 all I can think of in terms of a DAC/amp combo would be the the 1) ASUS Sonar U3 USB. While it is limited to 16/48 it does sound quite a bit better than on-board audio and will definitely power the HD598. 2) ASUS Xonar DG PCI (or DGX pci-e). For $30-$50 depending on the PCI type chosen, you will get full 24/96 with 105 S/N R and can power headphones up to 150Ohms. I have had and used both with my HD598s and I must say they sure improved upon my motherboard's built-in audio (ALC889). I would honestly get the DG(X). It has a wonderful sound and is well reviewed.

Or look in your cities buy/sell websites (Craigslist, Kijiji). I have seen Schiit Fullas go for $50 CND.

beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #6,228 of 7,535
  Hello friends,

About the cheapest would be a Schiit Fulla at about $79.00...  It is a great little amp/dac dongle.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #6,229 of 7,535
  Hello friends,

I have another suggestion :)
If there's nothing wrong with your headphones or PC and both your Windows and player volume are maxed out, then you listen TOO LOUD. Lower the volume before you damage your hearing. HD 598 isn't a headphone that require more volume than a on-board sound card can provide.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #6,230 of 7,535

I have another suggestion :)
If there's nothing wrong with your headphones or PC and both your Windows and player volume are maxed out, then you listen TOO LOUD. Lower the volume before you damage your hearing. HD 598 isn't a headphone that require more volume than a on-board sound card can provide.

I would have to disagree. My first foray in headphones was the HD598 and I had the same issue.  Not enough volume when driven from my computer.  I bought a Fiio E17 as a dac/amp and the difference was amazing.

It began a trip down the rabbit hole.  Many sets of HPs, multiple amps and dacs.

But it was worth it...

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #6,231 of 7,535
  I would have to disagree. My first foray in headphones was the HD598 and I had the same issue.  Not enough volume when driven from my computer.  I bought a Fiio E17 as a dac/amp and the difference was amazing.

It began a trip down the rabbit hole.  Many sets of HPs, multiple amps and dacs.

But it was worth it...

Probably you listen too loud too :)

I keep my Windows volume in the middle, foobar volume in the middle. If I need to go louder, foobar all the way to the max is VERY loud. So I have enough headroom left in Windows volume. My only thought is that maybe some motherboards don't get as loud as mine, although I doubt it. Before you got your amps did you use a PC or the Windows tablets in your signature? Maybe the Surface Pro has less volume?

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #6,232 of 7,535

Probably you listen too loud too :)

I keep my Windows volume in the middle, foobar volume in the middle. If I need to go louder, foobar all the way to the max is VERY loud. So I have enough headroom left in Windows volume. My only thought is that maybe some motherboards don't get as loud as mine, although I doubt it. Before you got your amps did you use a PC or the Windows tablets in your signature? Maybe the Surface Pro has less volume?

Windows 10 with PC, my motherboard is Gigabyte B75M-D3H.
It's really not loud when it is on maximum volume.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #6,233 of 7,535
  Hello friends,

The Fiio K1 is an option at $40.  I have no experience with it, but it is within your price range.

Do the 598 sound much quieter than other headphones with your computer?  Have you made sure your software player's volume is at max, and then adjust the Windows volume?  Did you check other software related settings that may have an effect?  I don't know your level of experience with computers, so want to make sure you've covered the obvious things first.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #6,234 of 7,535
yardenganon I think there should be something wrong. I mean, even me, with my half-deaf right ear, only go up to around 50% volume in Foobar 2000 with 70% on Windows mixer to get really loud (and that's the right channel; for the left channel everything above 50% is hurtingly loud for me).

My guess is that the jack that plugs into the headphones' left earcup might be loose. I remember a couple of times that I didn't pay attention when the volume was too low and sounded thin, as if the music came from very far away (by any chance, is that how it sounds to you?), then after a brief inspection, found out that the plug was not properly connected and the missing connections was what was causing the low volume. So I proceeded to twist the plug tight until it clicked correctly an voilà!, the sound was back. Give it a look, I suggest.

If it still don't work, then I don't know. Either you got a bad pair, or there is something missing in your PC's audio settings.

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #6,235 of 7,535
@yardenganon I think there should be something wrong. I mean, even me, with my half-deaf right ear, only go up to around 50% volume in Foobar 2000 with 70% on Windows mixer to get really loud (and that's the right channel; for the left channel everything above 50% is hurtingly loud for me).

My guess is that the jack that plugs into the headphones' left earcup might be loose. I remember a couple of times that I didn't pay attention when the volume was too low and sounded thin, as if the music came from very far away (by any chance, is that how it sounds to you?), then after a brief inspection, found out that the plug was not properly connected and the missing connections was what was causing the low volume. So I proceeded to twist the plug tight until it clicked correctly an voilà!, the sound was back. Give it a look, I suggest.

If it still don't work, then I don't know. Either you got a bad pair, or there is something missing in your PC's audio settings.

Thank you very much. I have 3 jack ports and I just tried to plug into each one and recognized that that left and the right ports causing a volume limitation. I don't know why but when the headphones connected to the middle port, it's just more loudly. Now 70%~ is what suppose to be 100% in the other ports.

Someone know how it's possible and how can I maximize more the quality of sound without pay a lot of money?

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #6,236 of 7,535
Thank you very much. I have 3 jack ports and I just tried to plug into each one and recognized that that left and the right ports causing a volume limitation. I don't know why but when the headphones connected to the middle port, it's just more loudly. Now 70%~ is what suppose to be 100% in the other ports.

Someone know how it's possible and how can I maximize more the quality of sound without pay a lot of money?

Those 3 ports will be line in, line out, and microphone. You obviously want them plugged into the line out which will be the one that's amped.

Ideally, if you have a case with a dedicated front/side headphone jack plug them into that. Like others have said, it's also worth double and triple checking ALL volume controls (those in Windows' system mixer AND the software you're using for playback).

EDIT: Mobile typing makes baby Jesus cry.

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #6,237 of 7,535
Those 3 ports will be line in, line out, and microphone. You obviously want them plugged into the line out which will be the one that's amped.

Ideally, if you have a case with a dedicated front/side headphone jack plug them into that. Like others have said, it's also worth double and triple checking ALL volume controls (those in Windows' system mixer AND the software you're using for playback).

EDIT: Mobile typing makes baby Jesus cry.

Why should I plug it into the front panel? What's the point?
I'm always checking the system volume and the software volume, It wasn't the problem.
I know the 3 ports are for different use like line in, out and mic but I can configure each one for all uses via the Realtek control panel.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #6,238 of 7,535
  Why should I plug it into the front panel? What's the point?
I'm always checking the system volume and the software volume, It wasn't the problem.
I know the 3 ports are for different use like line in, out and mic but I can configure each one for all uses via the Realtek control panel.

It is going to depend on the exact hardware you're using, but the rear ports can have a differnet impedance than a dedicated headphone front-panel jack.  You can test this yourself by switching headphones between the two, the front panel jack will probably get louder than the rear jack.  All said, I can't say I've spent much time using on-board audio but that is my experience.

This link explains it more eloquently than I can.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #6,239 of 7,535

It is going to depend on the exact hardware you're using, but the rear ports can have a differnet impedance than a dedicated headphone front-panel jack.  You can test this yourself by switching headphones between the two, the front panel jack will probably get louder than the rear jack.  All said, I can't say I've spent much time using on-board audio but that is my experience.

This link explains it more eloquently than I can.

I'm trying to plug it to the front panel but windows doesn't respond to any device plugged into the jack ports. Only the USB ports are working.
I'm trying to download new version of audio driver.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #6,240 of 7,535
@yardenganon  You should be using only the dedicated headphone jack on your computer when connecting headphones, not line out or any other.  If you try all software related fixes, and the headphone jack still doesn't work or doesn't give you the desired volume, then you can go to Amazon website and search for "usb external stereo sound adapter."  They go for about $6-12.  I hear the Syba SD-AUD20101 based unit is a pretty good choice for around $11.50.  Then there's the Fiio K1 for around $40 that I mentioned earlier, which should offer even better sound quality.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back