Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #6,212 of 7,535

So sorry! For some unknown reason I didn't read your post above when you mentioned it's the SE. So doublethanks for replying to my dumb comment.

Anyways, my SE sound great as well. No sibilance at all, and there is also a darn good warmth in the low notes. I don't know why they say they don't work with rock or any fast music at all. Last night I tried some drum'n' bass and it was great.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #6,213 of 7,535
Lazylistener, I have to agree with you that something is not right between the SE version and the Ivory ones. I bought a pair of SE's after listening to a great pair of 558's. I could not believe how crappy they sounded. Nothing like all the praise they are getting. I've heard about a difference between the two but I ignored it. They were just so thin sounding. Zero bass. The bass made me get rid of these. The 558's were waaay better in sound to these. Have heard the se model was produced as an Amazon black friday deal. Maybe a different manufacturing plant? And, I hate anything made in China because of the slave labor rates the chinese are being paid. Huge profit/greed from corporations doing this low-life thing. Headphones made in Ireland or Germany are only a little more but the labor is much higher and the people have a better standard of living. Going to give the 598 Ivory's a chance later. In the meantime I'll try and enjoy my Momentums. They are better than the 50x, tho. Such junk! Thanks for bringing this topic up. Sheds some light.

How do you conclude that "something is not right between the SE version and the Ivory ones" if you only listened to the SE and comparing with 558?
I think that adjectives like "crappy" and "such junk" are exaggerated, reflecting your personal expectation and bias and misleading to the community.
Mine and others here - 589 SE's - are perfectly balanced with proper bass mids and highs. So you see, it's just a matter of expectation and perception.
Ivory or SE they are both made in China, so no need to stereotype again about China. Today everything is made in China.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #6,215 of 7,535
I'd have to say calling the 598 perfectly balanced would be exaggerated as well.

Why not? They are only slightly warm, but never bassheaded or boomy. They're not trebly either. Mids are lively and upfront, but never overpower the frequencies around them. And most DEFINITELY,they're not V-shaped. Basically, there is no preferred range, all is given equal importance. I don't know about you, but that's what I call balance.

Sure, they're not 100% flat (does that exist at this time?), but they are pretty balanced. None of the frequencies are preferred or boosted. Compare the HD598 to the bass-focused Fidelio line, or the sharp signatures of Grado or AKG, and you'll see how balanced the 598 are in comparison.

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #6,217 of 7,535
I was torn between a pair of studio monitors to replace my MDR V6s and a nice general listening pair -- why not both? I grabbed the HD 598 SE for music and ATH-M40x mixing, best of both worlds for under $200.

Really impressed with the HD 598s. Super comfortable, nice soundstage. As my first open back pair, I put them on a couple of times and swore I didn't plug them in thinking the sound was coming from my speakers. They have a very mellow sound. Non-fatiguing high end and tight bottom end. I've been considering the HD 600 or up but I really don't want to deal with a separate amp so they're perfect for what I was in the market for.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #6,218 of 7,535
Lazylistener, I have to agree with you that something is not right between the SE version and the Ivory ones. I bought a pair of SE's after listening to a great pair of 558's. I could not believe how crappy they sounded. Nothing like all the praise they are getting. I've heard about a difference between the two but I ignored it. They were just so thin sounding. Zero bass. The bass made me get rid of these. The 558's were waaay better in sound to these. Have heard the se model was produced as an Amazon black friday deal. Maybe a different manufacturing plant? And, I hate anything made in China because of the slave labor rates the chinese are being paid. Huge profit/greed from corporations doing this low-life thing. Headphones made in Ireland or Germany are only a little more but the labor is much higher and the people have a better standard of living. Going to give the 598 Ivory's a chance later. In the meantime I'll try and enjoy my Momentums. They are better than the 50x, tho. Such junk! Thanks for bringing this topic up. Sheds some light.

I'm a bit confused.  Did you actually compare the SE to the Ivory by listening to both of them, or are you saying that you listened to only the SE and they sounded crappy and thin?

As far as manufacturing in China goes, most everything is made there now, and most stuff is decent quality now.  Every now and then, you'll still have subpar quality, but for the most part, it's just fine.  At least that's been my experience.  I don't really want to get into slave labor wages, politics, and economics, here, but there's a bit more it than just greedy corporations.  Let's not go off topic, please.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #6,219 of 7,535
  I was torn between a pair of studio monitors to replace my MDR V6s and a nice general listening pair -- why not both? I grabbed the HD 598 SE for music and ATH-M40x mixing, best of both worlds for under $200.

Really impressed with the HD 598s. Super comfortable, nice soundstage. As my first open back pair, I put them on a couple of times and swore I didn't plug them in thinking the sound was coming from my speakers. They have a very mellow sound. Non-fatiguing high end and tight bottom end. I've been considering the HD 600 or up but I really don't want to deal with a separate amp so they're perfect for what I was in the market for.

M40x for mixing?  I found them too V-shaped to be good for that purpose.  I would think there are more neutral-sounding cans in that price range for mixing purposes.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #6,220 of 7,535
So sorry! For some unknown reason I didn't read your post above when you mentioned it's the SE. So doublethanks for replying to my dumb comment.

Anyways, my SE sound great as well. No sibilance at all, and there is also a darn good warmth in the low notes. I don't know why they say they don't work with rock or any fast music at all. Last night I tried some drum'n' bass and it was great.

Hey, nothing wrong with making sure it was clear to everyone that he was talking about the SE sounding good.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #6,221 of 7,535
Why not? They are only slightly warm, but never bassheaded or boomy. They're not trebly either. Mids are lively and upfront, but never overpower the frequencies around them. And most DEFINITELY,they're not V-shaped. Basically, there is no preferred range, all is given equal importance. I don't know about you, but that's what I call balance.

Sure, they're not 100% flat (does that exist at this time?), but they are pretty balanced. None of the frequencies are preferred or boosted. Compare the HD598 to the bass-focused Fidelio line, or the sharp signatures of Grado or AKG, and you'll see how balanced the 598 are in comparison.

I would say slightly warm down low and a bit forward in the female vocal range.  Balanced, but not neutral/flat.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #6,223 of 7,535
Thank you very much for your reply gargani....
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes thats exactly how i remember them. The 518 was clearly the bassier and more powerfull sounding one, but still vocals were very very good and soundstage is acceptable, the hd558 although still a bit bassy is like a mix of both the hd518 and hd518, since you get a good amount of punch and powerfull sound while the highs and mids are very nice (but of course the highs and mids are less clear than on the hd598)... The 598 is clearly the brighter, the clearer and the most spacious sounding of all 3, greats mids, great highs, tight bass , but for that extra clarity they loose the bit of ooomph and power to the sound that is more characteristic of the other 2 models. The hd598s of all three are clearly the ones that you pick to listen to vocals, airy and organic music

Of all 3 wich is the one you like the most gargani? Do you think it is wortha having all 3?

If you could only choose 2 to cover all your music, wich ones would you pick?
smily_headphones1.gif

Pedro, sorry for the delayed reply.
I've been mostly listening to the 598's and the 558's. Of those two I don't really have a favourite. Sometimes, with some recordings I like the 598's.Other times, with other recordings I want a little more bass and fullness; that's where I like the 558's, although I give up a bit of openness and clarity.

If I could only have two, One would definitely be the 598's. But between the 558's and 518's as the other pair, it's close, but I would go with the 558's. One thing I notice with the 518's, is that with some recordings, the bass can distract from the vocals and other instruments; especially with recordings that are bassy sounding to start with. However with thin or bright sounding recordings, the518's work best. .still I would go with the 558's.

I don't think it's necessary to own all three. For me , with the 598's and the 558's, most things are covered. Of course, that's my opinion.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #6,224 of 7,535
Such an unbeatable and sick passion for audio perfection led my to upgrade the blue USB cable that came with my iFi iDAC2 to something more elaborate. Much more elaborate! I entrusted this task for a Latvian audiophile Konstantin who does a exceptional job at making custom high-quality pure silver cabling for almost any application. Customers love him because of unbeatable prices, lighting-fast communication and dispatchment. To be honest, this is now my go-to when I will be in need of high-end cabling for my future projects.

What I ordered exactly was dual headed (data + power) version of USB cable. This is pinnacle of USB audio geometry, very similar to iFi's very own Gemini cables. My order was quite custom (30 cm) and Konstantin was nice enough to even mark the power line with very subtle red dot. This will be useful for future integration with iUSB3.0, not so much for using in par with a laptop. Okay, mates, to say that cable looks good, decent is say nothing.. This piece of equipment is breathtaking!!1! Very simple yet so elegant design that I, as being minimalist, dig so so much. Nylon sleeving can also be ordered in a selection of colors but black looks best for in tandem with silver DAC unit, creating a refreshing contrast, in my humble opinion. I am informed that even plugs used are absolutely top-notch with golden plated solder side, not only body and pins as usual.

Using of dual-headed USB cable is very easy. After connection the power line first, all of the DAC lights turn on, but wait, player cannot see it as a audio device, logically requesting us to connect the data line afterwards. Artisan recommends burning in cable at least 100-150 hours but I wasn't so patient and started my critical listening much earlier. I believe my observations will be amplified as time flies.

Disclaimer: I want to point out that heard improvements objectively ranged from subtle to minor. This is probably being held on by HD598's which are not the most transparent and high-end choice, hence they were the first link in my chain. I feel drivers are performing at almost fully potential of theirs and there are nothing more to expect, however dramatic that sounds. I believe after more serious upgrade (HD700/800/800S - I am looking at you!) differences will be more obvious and I wouldn't hesitate to test that one more time. This is very enjoyable.

I have done several A/B tests with familiar to me high-quality audiophile records (Alexis Cole, Amber Rubarth, Jazz At The Pawnshop) and every time I would switch cables improvements were obvious and undeniable. First and foremost, the subjective flow of my music is now more smooth, analog and calm (that term wasn't clear for me until I experienced that by myself). Yes, there is indeed less harshness, there is much more enjoyment from blind, critical listening and the timing and pace is toe-tapping. The entire spectrum sounds much more natural and life-like, details are much more easier to find and follow. Such improvements are usually really weird to understand for most, but they are the most rewarding to experience. It's almost as different as when one has head-ache and feels irritated and when one feels absolutely healthy and peaceful. Sound stage has become slightly bigger and dynamic range is improved as well. E.g. some louder and impactful passages now are now really impactful, it's touching and even heart-shaking. And this leads to the improvements in the regions of bass. Now I can really tell that my precious and ever evolving HD598 rig can deliver really juicy, tight and unbelievable for these cans bass (obviously, most depending on source material).

To wrap things up I want say that I am very delighted returning customer and I recommend for every avid music (and beautiful design) lover to try these beauties for themselves. Even more, for a price of 2-3 hi-res albums this is absolute bargain for a one of the best pure silver USB cables on the marked. Beautiful, not-overpriced, terrific sounding, custom made investment for those purists, who wants to extract the last drop from their precious collection and gear. And I will return to wonders of this cable after some more revealing cans will be in my disposal, or maybe iUSB3.0 power conditioner (I will need to order one more cable then!). 

Anyways, this was just a little step towards the Olympus of my audio nirvana. Important, beautiful upgrade in await of next one, iFi iPurifier 2.

And here are some eye-nirvana for you, thanks for the time and attention!

​
P.S. This review was not funded in absolutely any way, this is pure enjoyment of hobby and representation of impressions.

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #6,225 of 7,535
  Anyways, this was just a little step towards the Olympus of my audio nirvana. Important, beautiful upgrade in await of next one, iFi iPurifier 2.

And here are some eye-nirvana for you, thanks for the time and attention!

​
P.S. This review was not funded in absolutely any way, this is pure enjoyment of hobby and representation of impressions.

Hells ya! +1 on this. I recently purchased the iFi iDAC micro two weeks ago to go with my iCAN micro SE. Got bored on my day off last Thursday and made my own ghetto iGemini and iUSB. The only difference is that I didn't feel like including the loom (because nobody is gonna see it), but I did include 3 ferrite chokes; One on the power, one on the data, and a large one at the type-B connection. I even went one step further! I then purchased a new power bar by BlueDiamond. It's features include dual 5V 2.0A USB ports, and also -40dB RFI/EMI noise filtering. Obviously both my iDAC and iCAN are plugged into this for their power. The outcome? Wow! Playing a "digital black noise" file at +24dB gain with full volume yields a perfect black background! Absolutely no difference whether I have my headphones plugged into the socket or not! Needless to say the added transparency is simply beautiful!

I highly suggest using at least a USB power wall-wart (like the ones that come with smartphones and whatnot) for the power. Using a USB extension to reach won't effect the sound quality. 

Sorry for potato quality. 

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back