Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #16 of 7,699

Quote:
x2
but still I love brushed aluminium front

me too and i only just got the ie8 a few days a go
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #17 of 7,699
Well I do hope it's more than a change in the finish of the exterior, gonna hold on to my cash to wait till more info's released on this one, pretty psyched to hear more! Was intending to get the IE8 to replace my W2. Do you guys think Sennheiser's gonna change the sound/tuning at all?

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #18 of 7,699
Well colour me surprised! Happy my doubts were misplaced, and there is a IE 80 after all.

Although specs don't tell the whole story, I compared the tech data on Sennheiser.com for the IE8 and IE 80. They look exactly the same. Even the description of the IE 80 as having a tunable bass port makes it seem like a cosmetic facelift of the 8...

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #19 of 7,699

Quote:
Well colour me surprised! Happy my doubts were misplaced, and there is a IE 80 after all.

Although specs don't tell the whole story, I compared the tech data on Sennheiser.com for the IE8 and IE 80. They look exactly the same. Even the description of the IE 80 as having a tunable bass port makes it seem like a cosmetic facelift of the 8...

yeah, i hoped they would have been working on a new flagship by now after what 3 years? but never saw anything about it so i settled with the ie8

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #21 of 7,699
Hm...looking at the specs, nothing's changed.  Still though, it doesn't sound like Sennheiser to release a new model with only cosmetic differences (unless it's an Adidas rebrand or something).  It seems to me that this is part of their new line of updated products, like the 598 and 518.  As such, it'll probably have some subtle differences...maybe they'll fix some of the problems it had, or maybe they'll make the bass tuning a little more useful...either way, I hope it isn't ludicrously expensive like the IE8 is.  Won't hold my breath on that though.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #22 of 7,699
Whatever Sennheiser do they have to compete with the Vsonic 07.  Obviously they will be more expensive.

The day that someone says "Can`t believe it, makes the 07`s seem......"
Until then....

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #23 of 7,699

Quote:
Whatever Sennheiser do they have to compete with the Vsonic 07.  Obviously they will be more expensive.

The day that someone says "Can`t believe it, makes the 07`s seem......"
Until then....

Unfortunately, I doubt they'll be trying to compete with a small company that nobody's ever heard of...although Shure appears to have stepped up their game with the 215.  I don't think Sennheiser is the type of company that would do that though.  It would be really nice if their IEMs were cheaper though, since I would get a pair of IE8s if they were ~$200 or so...but twice that much?  I don't think so.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #24 of 7,699
Of course not.

I am talking about sound delivery not company ego`s.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 7,699

Quote:
Unfortunately, I doubt they'll be trying to compete with a small company that nobody's ever heard of...although Shure appears to have stepped up their game with the 215.  I don't think Sennheiser is the type of company that would do that though.  It would be really nice if their IEMs were cheaper though, since I would get a pair of IE8s if they were ~$200 or so...but twice that much?  I don't think so.

$400 so works out at around £250

i got mine new for £205/ $320  so its not that bad at all

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #27 of 7,699
I am a production manager for an electro plating company.

Gold plated or non gold plated makes no difference. Corrosion resistant? yes. Conducting? nah.
Solid gold or silver along with maybe ohfc copper or silver cable yes but plating tbh is really only cosmetic unless you deposit 5 microns or above, 8+ microns of silver for microwave devices and efficiency.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #28 of 7,699

Quote:
I am a production manager for an electro plating company.

Gold plated or non gold plated makes no difference. Corrosion resistant? yes. Conducting? nah.
Solid gold or silver along with maybe ohfc copper or silver cable yes but plating tbh is really only cosmetic unless you deposit 5 microns or above, 8+ microns of silver for microwave devices and efficiency.

Yeah, corrosion resistance is the only reason why people electroplate things...but still, I think Sennheiser plates with nickel for that.  I prefer this, since it means that you won't see it stripping off over time...I've never had a gold-plated plug before that hasn't started to turn silvery over time, and it looks pretty bad.

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #29 of 7,699
Funny how you never see coppers pins considering they have great conductivity hey?
Why?
Tarnish by just looking at them. Both Nickel and gold plated pins are really just there for durabilitly (in out,in out...) but do not be surprised if your lovely looking gold jack looks erm nickely due to wear. Hard gold (which is different to pure gold) due to having a nickel content, makes it wear resistant.
Thats it, sorry folks. Do not judge a book by its cover, nor an iem plug.

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #30 of 7,699

Quote:
Funny how you never see coppers pins considering they have great conductivity hey?
Why?
Tarnish by just looking at them. Both Nickel and gold plated pins are really just there for durabilitly (in out,in out...) but do not be surprised if your lovely looking gold jack looks erm nickely due to wear. Hard gold (which is different to pure gold) due to having a nickel content, makes it wear resistant.
Thats it, sorry folks. Do not judge a book by its cover, nor an iem plug.

I've noticed that some gold-looking connectors on cables I've gotten from a dollar store were tarnished when I got them...you think they just plated them with copper or what?

Anyway, this is getting way off-topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back