Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #31 of 7,699
Nope just a very thin coating, 0.15 max of a micron of gold with a thin undercoat of probably nickel over copper.

Sorry folks, back on to thread subject.

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #33 of 7,699
I am getting a pair of IE 8's from Sennheiser's service, I think I'll contact my Sennheiser rep to see if he could put that on hold and get me one of those :p

I hope they don't discontinue the IE 8 like they did with the IE6 and IE7, btw where is the IE70?

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #34 of 7,699
See, and you guys didn't believe me! 

I'm going to be getting a pair of these when they come out in a month or so and haven't put the time reading through the million or so posts in the IE8 appreciation thread but wondered since you guys have infinite amounts of knowledge and experience with these things...

How do they sound unamped...running off of just an iPod?

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #36 of 7,699
man they wouldnt even give a peep? Its not like sennheiser is the next stock market fix but if theres no coverage intended to be sent out by the company then couldnt your friend get in trouble for saying that?

The news is awesome, dont get me wrong haha. Ie8's is a hard IEM to beat so lets see how they handle it. 

Never can have enough headphones O.o

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #37 of 7,699
Regardless, I really do like the design of these two new IEMs.  I wonder if there have been more press releases in germany or somewhere instead of here?  Not really sure how Sennheiser likes to run things though.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #38 of 7,699

Quote:
Sorry for doubting you, but it's a bit shady when a new member posts about an unannounced product without including any details at all.

It's all good I totally understand. Was kind of kidding anyways...

Quote:
man they wouldnt even give a peep? Its not like sennheiser is the next stock market fix but if theres no coverage intended to be sent out by the company then couldnt your friend get in trouble for saying that?

I don't know but either way it doesn't matter because it's not like I'm giving their name out...

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #39 of 7,699
I contacted Sennheiser asking them if there is any difference between the two models. I did point out the mid bass hump issue with the IE8s and hopefully that they addressed this with the revised version otherwise there really was no point in an revision in all honesty.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #40 of 7,699
They use the same drivers right?

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #42 of 7,699
Quote:
See, and you guys didn't believe me! 

I'm going to be getting a pair of these when they come out in a month or so and haven't put the time reading through the million or so posts in the IE8 appreciation thread but wondered since you guys have infinite amounts of knowledge and experience with these things...

How do they sound unamped...running off of just an iPod?

Details: The earphone that established the ability of dynamic-driver IEMs to go toe-to-toe with multi-armature setups
Current Price: $400 from amazon.com (MSRP: $449.95), $450 for IE8i with mic

Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16 Ω | Sens: 125 dB | Freq: 10-20k Hz | Cable: 4’ L-plug

Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: UE Single flange, stock short bi-flange

Wear Style: Over-the-ear or straight down (with cable flip)

Accessories (5/5) – Single flange (3 sizes), bi-flange (3 sizes), and mushroom (2 sizes) silicone tips, foamhybrid (2 sizes) tips, cleaning tool, bass adjustment screwdriver, over-the-ear cable guides, shirt clip, and storage case with integrated cable winder

Build Quality (4.5/5) – The oddly-shaped housings are made of sturdy plastic and surprisingly ergonomic. The cord is light, strong, flexible, and, best of all, detachable – one of the best cables I’ve seen on an IEM. For some reason the L-plug is not gold plated and rotating it can cause a tiny bit of static

Isolation (2.5/5) – Not a strong suit of the IE8, which are rather shallow-fitting earphones, but quite passable for everyday use, especially with dual-flange tips

Microphonics (5/5) – Nearly imperceptible when worn cord-down (with the cables flipped); completely unnoticeable when worn in the proper (cord-up) orientation

Comfort (4/5) – The housings are light but rather large; those with smaller ears will have to settle for very shallow insertion but, like many dynamic-driver in-ears, the IE8s are not overly sensitive to insertion depth. With average-sized ears the IE8s are nearly flush and can be slept in quite easily

Sound (9/10) – As usual, the first step to my listening involves spending time with the tuning system. In the case of the IE8, tuning is done by turning a bass adjustment screw on the front fascia of the earphones with a small screwdriver. Personally, I don’t much care for the tuning feature. In the minimum-bass configuration, the IE8s are plentifully impactful – similar in bass quantity to my Monster Turbine Pro Golds but a bit more forward and aggressive with the way low notes are presented. Turning up the bass seems to extend the mid-bass hump of the IE8 lower down and darkens the tone of the earphones but does surprisingly little for low-end extension. A single notch of bass increase puts the overall bass quantity of the IE8 on level with the Fischer Audio Eternas (rev.1), two notches get it closer to the Future Sonics Atrio M8, and the maximum setting matches the monstrous bass bloat of the TDK EB900. The bass itself is fairly forward, at least in comparison to the rather relaxed midrange and treble of the earphone. Bass depth, power, and texture are all among the best I’ve heard out of in-ears, beating out the MTPG in technical prowess by a hair. The bass of the IE8 is also characterized by its versatility – the IE8 can be quite quick on fast trance and house tracks but also manages wonderfully realistic attack and decay when necessary. On bass-heavy tracks, the low end of the IE8 can be slightly overwhelming for my tastes but for the most part it works quite well with the unique presentation and overall balance of the Sennheisers.

The heavy-handed low end makes the midrange of the IE8 seem slightly veiled and recessed, but this is as much an artifact of the ridiculously spacious presentation as it is of the balance. Taken out of context, the midrange and treble of the IE8 are both excellent in their own right. The mids are smooth slightly thick, warmed up by the mid-bass heft and quite full-bodied. Clarity is excellent but the midrange isn’t as crisp as, for example, that of the Phiaton PS200 or even the Radius DDM, and the detail is not presented as aggressively. Transparency lags quite a ways behind earphones such as the DDM and Yuin OK1 as well, hindered by the thickness and slight coloration of the IE8s. 

The treble transition is seamlessly smooth, yielding a clear high end with no harshness or sibilance. The treble is well-extended and seems a bit edgier and more present in the sound of the IE8 than the similarly-bassy MTPG and Future Sonics Atrios, but not quite as edgy as that of the Hippo VB. The top end does lack the effortlessness of the CK10/RE252 and the sparkle of the OK1/TF10. Expectedly, it is not as crisp and resolving as with many of the BA-based IEMs, resulting in less aggressive detailing but also a generally pleasant an non-fatiguing sound. Again, the treble of the IE8 is more impressive when taken out of context and not juxtaposed to the bass and midrange, which do tend to crowd it out somewhat.

Lastly, the presentation of the IE8 is more than noteworthy in itself. The gargantuan soundstage is one of the most apparent and striking aspects of the sound. Headstage width is similarly tremendous, giving the IE8 and out-of-the-head feel on par with many proper headphones. Soundstage depth is above average as well and the IE8 can convey distances adroitly. However, the soundstage is limited in extent – whereas IEMs like the Yuin OK1 can convey what seems like a near-infinite distances, the soundstage of the IE8 has an outer limit when it comes to positioning. It has an inner limit, as well – the IE8s do not portray extreme intimacy very well; instead, the soundstage extends to within what seems like a few feet from the listener. Nitpicking aside, the presentation of the IE8 has a distanced and yet spacious feel that Sennheiser faithful may find familiar – the earphones infallibly put the listener in a third row seat. With that in mind, the presentation is quite realistic – a bit thick but nevertheless relaxed and boasting decent air. In the land of IEMs, high-end or not, the Sennheiser IE8 stands out in that respect.

Value (8/10) – Launched at a time when “high end IEM” was synonymous with “balanced armature”, the Sennheiser IE8 re-introduced dynamic drivers into the world of ultraportable hi-fi and firmly established Sennheiser, a late entrant in the IEM game, in the realm of top-tier earphones. Though past its popularity peak, the IE8 still competes with the best of the best two years later. The uniquely rich and full sound, from the heavy bass to the warmed-up midrange and smooth but extended treble, works wonderfully with the relaxed and spacious presentation. Aside from the isolation, which isn’t actually as bad as some say, the biggest issue with the IE8 is its price - at $400 retail, it’s a fair stretch pricier than many of the newer high end earphones. As with all other top tiers, the IE8 brings its own unique strengths and weaknesses to the table. And, again as with all other top tiers, the decision as to whether or not it is worth the asking price rests with the individual listener.

Pros: Detachable and all-around excellent cabling, no microphonics, light and comfortable, excellent bass depth and texture, monstrous soundstage

Cons: Mediocre isolation, not the best at conveying intimacy

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #43 of 7,699
Greetings good people of the Head-Fi forums,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

A little bit about me:
I'm not an audiophile but ever since buying the Sennheiser CX95 - only pair of earphones I ever bought - to try what it was like to use non-standard earphones I have never looked back - I appreciate the difference good earphones make.
I never planned to buy anything after the CX95, but unfortunately I recently misplaced it 
frown.gif
; I am now in search of an upgrade.
I use my earphones to listen to music (mostly mainstream stuff, pop and rock, some moby types, some mogwai, some movie soundtracks, and some lounge?) on my iPhone and watch movies on the PC or on the plane. Occasionally I use earphones for PC games.

After googling for a few hours yesterday, I wanted to buy a Sennheiser IE8 (mainly because of the brand), but I realised that they were a little old?
Then I found quite a few good reviews of the Earsonics SM3 (V2) earphones and it seemed that the SM3 is on par at least or perhaps even better than the IE8s (both were in a similar price range - both around USD399 online, the Sennheiser IE8s could be found for even lower prices too).
Plus the SM3s were newer stuff; I like 'future-proofing' all my tech purchases 
bigsmile_face.gif

However, this thread here has totally put my buying plans for the SM3 on hold; if the Sennheiser IE80 is going to be released soon I'm going to have to wait for the comparisons/reviews again.
Anyway these are my questions:
  1. Anyone got any idea or a guestimate of when the IE80s will be on sale? (few days/weeks/months time?)
  2. Similarly, any guestimates of the price of the IE80s?
  3. Understandably no one has tried the IE80s, but what do you think? Would the IE80s be superior to the Earsonics SM3? Should I wait for the IE80s or should I just buy the Earsonics SM3 V2? (I don't mind waiting till the end of the year for buying new earphones (using default iPhone earphones atm) )
  4. Hopefully you guys get what I'm trying to get at, all opinions and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
ES

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #44 of 7,699

Quote:
Greetings good people of the Head-Fi forums,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

A little bit about me:
I'm not an audiophile but ever since buying the Sennheiser CX95 - only pair of earphones I ever bought - to try what it was like to use non-standard earphones I have never looked back - I appreciate the difference good earphones make.
I never planned to buy anything after the CX95, but unfortunately I recently misplaced it 
frown.gif
; I am now in search of an upgrade.
I use my earphones to listen to music (mostly mainstream stuff, pop and rock, some moby types, some mogwai, some movie soundtracks, and some lounge?) on my iPhone and watch movies on the PC or on the plane. Occasionally I use earphones for PC games.

After googling for a few hours yesterday, I wanted to buy a Sennheiser IE8 (mainly because of the brand), but I realised that they were a little old?
Then I found quite a few good reviews of the Earsonics SM3 (V2) earphones and it seemed that the SM3 is on par at least or perhaps even better than the IE8s (both were in a similar price range - both around USD399 online, the Sennheiser IE8s could be found for even lower prices too).
Plus the SM3s were newer stuff; I like 'future-proofing' all my tech purchases 
bigsmile_face.gif

However, this thread here has totally put my buying plans for the SM3 on hold; if the Sennheiser IE80 is going to be released soon I'm going to have to wait for the comparisons/reviews again.
Anyway these are my questions:
  1. Anyone got any idea or a guestimate of when the IE80s will be on sale? (few days/weeks/months time?)
  2. Similarly, any guestimates of the price of the IE80s?
  3. Understandably no one has tried the IE80s, but what do you think? Would the IE80s be superior to the Earsonics SM3? Should I wait for the IE80s or should I just buy the Earsonics SM3 V2? (I don't mind waiting till the end of the year for buying new earphones (using default iPhone earphones atm) )
  4. Hopefully you guys get what I'm trying to get at, all opinions and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
ES

Well, it's too early to make any speculations on the sound, but it was stated earlier in the thread that it's supposed to come out some time around october.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back