Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #91 of 7,699

Quote:
I can see where the IE7 was the laggard in the group. I liked it more than the IE6 though, and at times more than the IE8.  Hopefully, if it can fill a gap in pricing and sound signature, they'll eventually bring out an update.  

i actually disagree, the IE7 has more then enough bass

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #93 of 7,699
well it's sort of hard to see referring to the amount of head-fi reviews there are on the amount of IE7 reviews vs the amount of IE6 reviews

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #94 of 7,699

Quote:
From the looks of your avatar you own a pair of Victor FX700s? What is your impression on them? Are they treble happy or harsh in the treble? I was considering getting this to add to my kings of dynamics list.

I've only had the FX700s for about a week. I thought the treble was quite harsh when I first got them but since then they have gone through 50 hrs of burn in and I switched to monster foam supertips. Now the sibilance has gone and the treble has great clarity. The treble also has plenty of sparkle and gives off a greater sense of realism in the music. Easily one of the best dynamics. I would love to see how the FX700s compare to the IE8/IE80s.  

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #95 of 7,699
The IE8 have a more laid back sound but lack the clarity, separation and detail throughout all the spectrum in comparison to the FX700. The FX700 is noticably more energetic. Mids are definitely not overshowded as in the IE8 but still are not as forward as lows and highs. In fact I feel mids on the FX700 are detailed and also sound pretty balanced especially with low volume listening. In my opinion they are a clear upgrade over the IE8 overall and also have a comparable soundstage with more depth in the case of the JVC but less extension. Sometimes the soundstage of the IE8 seemed as artificially extended.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #96 of 7,699

Quote:
The IE8 have a more laid back sound but lack the clarity, separation and detail throughout all the spectrum in comparison to the FX700. The FX700 is noticably more energetic. Mids are definitely not overshowded as in the IE8 but still are not as forward as lows and highs. In fact I feel mids on the FX700 are detailed and also sound pretty balanced especially with low volume listening. In my opinion they are a clear upgrade over the IE8 overall and also have a comparable soundstage with more depth in the case of the JVC but less extension. Sometimes the soundstage of the IE8 seemed as artificially extended.

Do you EQ your IE8s to get rid of the mid bass hump. That fixed the issue for me with the mids being overpowered. I also upgraded my cable to Silver cable which brought the highs our more, brought more clarity, tightened the bass and moved the mids more forward.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #97 of 7,699

Quote:
Samsara: don't worry about missing out with the new 80--the IE8 is an excellent, efficient product, and I'm listening to mine straight out of my Classic right now!

I too have listened to music with this combo for the last few years. Such a minimalist and excellent sounding system. In fact, when I went to a Head-Fi meet and listened to all the la-dee-da top-flight headphone systems, I walked away even more impressed with the humble system I had. In some ways, the IE8 and Classic even surpassed much of what I heard. 
Alas, a couple of months ago I accidently left my iPod and IE8 in the back of taxi. Doh! As of now, I am musicless... : (

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #99 of 7,699

Quote:
Oh man! 

I guess that means you're taking one for the team. Get thee to a Sennheiser dealer and order the IE 80!

I have to say, I'm thinking about it. I have the unique and unusual circumstance of only owning one heaphone or IEM in my life; the IE8. I have listened to it for the last 3 years and I'm intimately familiar with its sound signature out of an iPod. I probably listened to the IE8 two hours a day, 5 days a week, for 3 years. I would love to get the IE80 and compare the two (albeit, it would have to be in hindsight since I lost my IE8). 

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #100 of 7,699

Quote:
Do you EQ your IE8s to get rid of the mid bass hump. That fixed the issue for me with the mids being overpowered. I also upgraded my cable to Silver cable which brought the highs our more, brought more clarity, tightened the bass and moved the mids more forward.

I equed using PowerAMP in my motorola atrix and Foobar2000 on the notebook. It helped till a certain point but this was only one aspect that could be improved. You couldn't do much about clarity and separation and the feel of an artificial soundstage.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #101 of 7,699

Man, a part of me would die if I left my accidentally ditched my rig (all $800.00+ dollars of it :p).
Quote:
I too have listened to music with this combo for the last few years. Such a minimalist and excellent sounding system. In fact, when I went to a Head-Fi meet and listened to all the la-dee-da top-flight headphone systems, I walked away even more impressed with the humble system I had. In some ways, the IE8 and Classic even surpassed much of what I heard. 
Alas, a couple of months ago I accidently left my iPod and IE8 in the back of taxi. Doh! As of now, I am musicless... : (

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #102 of 7,699

Quote:
Man, a part of me would die if I left my accidentally ditched my rig (all $800.00+ dollars of it :p).

Oh believe me, I was depressed and angry with myself for weeks. At the moment, I still can not afford a replacement. Over time, however, the anger waned and the depression lessened. All I had to do was look around me and see the suffering of others. In this light, it is easier for me to focus on what I do have than what I don't have.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #103 of 7,699

Quote:
Oh believe me, I was depressed and angry with myself for weeks. At the moment, I still can not afford a replacement. Over time, however, the anger waned and the depression lessened. All I had to do was look around me and see the suffering of others. In this light, it is easier for me to focus on what I do have than what I don't have.

Agreed. There's a time to despair and then move on. If you do get the IE80s I look forward to your impressions. I would be nice if they fixed the IE8s weakness (mid-bass hump). Speaking of dispair lol I'm debating on putting my Sony EX1000s up for sale. I just can't seem to justify keeping them. I much prefer my IE8s strangely enough.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #104 of 7,699

Quote:

Hey man, so sorry for your loss. I can totally relate to how you're feeling. I was robbed last weekend and I lost my ipod classic 7th gen, IE8i and my Null Audio Lune custom cabled TFi 10. I fought against three guys and one of them pull out a knife, I was stabbed once but they didn't land any blows on me so I think I put up a good fight. The world has to know that Head Fi members are not wimps.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #105 of 7,699
Wow! Sorry for your loss too but even more so, I am sorry for the assault. Wimp or not, it takes a blink of an eye and we can all be gone forever. I take it you don't live in the Hamptons or Beverly Hills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back