Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #886 of 896
Thank you @MrFufty ! I must try one of these days, as I think I will also give a chance to Tidal (given the new prices).
They promised that the situation would change, but we didn't get anything in 2 months.
Ahahaha... Yes... The mythical improvements expected by their "Software Team" are late this time.
I formed the opinion that Shanling's promises deserve no credit at all, nor will I ever purchase one of their staff again.
If I'm still the owner of a EM5 is only because I'm basically lazy. But that's not a good reason for them to carry on this way.

Happy Easter!
Luke

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #888 of 896
Thank you @MrFufty ! I must try one of these days, as I think I will also give a chance to Tidal (given the new prices).

Ahahaha... Yes... The mythical improvements expected by their "Software Team" are late this time.
I formed the opinion that Shanling's promises deserve no credit at all, nor will I ever purchase one of their staff again.
If I'm still the owner of a EM5 is only because I'm basically lazy. But that's not a good reason for them to carry on this way.

Happy Easter!
Luke
Wise words...

I am currently considering selling all my Shanling Stuff : M2X, M3X, M6, M6 Pro, M8 and EH-3 to replace it with a DAP from another brand and an all-in-one streamer from another brand too.

Before choosing I will read carefully about software and support to avoid having the same problems I have had with almost all Shanling devices.

From what I see there are brands actually taking care of their customers...

Regards.

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #889 of 896
.I will join, I will never buy anything from them again, this was the first and the last, if the biggest problems are not solved, I will definitely sell. It is outrageous that an 800 euro streamer cannot be used without compromises. It is a big disappointment that the tests do not even mention the problems. It is sad that the software is not fixed because the sound is very good. Currently it can be used with UAPP. although this is the next 50 euros, but this is not Shanling's solution.

Happy Easter @PenguinHeadphoner és @Inazumaluke és minden...

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #890 of 896
...I join, I will never buy anything from them again, this was the first and last, if the biggest problems are not fixed, I will definitely sell it. It's outrageous that you can't use an €800 streamer without compromises. It's a big disappointment that the tests don't even mention the problems. It's sad that the software is not fixed, because the sound is very good. Currently it can be used with UAPP. although this is the next €50 because it has to be ironed, and this is not Shanling's solution.

Happy Easter @PenguinHeadphoner and @Inazumaluke and all...
Hi,

Can't agree more.

Sound is good even excellent.

Hardware is nice but tuned to be totally closed and thus unusable with anything else than Shanling's own software.

Software has horrible flaws and missing features since beginning.

Customer support is unexistent as Shanling releases the product and does not maintian it except for one of two products.
They release a FW every 6 months with a fix in font colour to claim they are maintaining things...

Software team is merely a ghost.
They have no knowledge and have no idea how things should be done.

Head of brand has ideas of its own.
I wonder how people buying a device that is 5k€ or even 18k€ can even admit to have to suffer from such wrong software...

I think a product like the Fiio R7 or the Matrix Mini-i Pro 4 are far better choices for about the same price !

Regards.

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #891 of 896
I think a product like the Fiio R7 or the Matrix Mini-i Pro 4 are far better choices for about the same price !
Both R7 and Mini-i pro4 are more expensive than EM5, plus they all use ESS chips, totally different sound signature. I would say neither one is perfect, but I more prefer EM5's sound signature and audio stage. With this, I can live with the defects.

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #892 of 896
Both R7 and Mini-i pro4 are more expensive than EM5, plus they all use ESS chips, totally different sound signature. I would say neither one is perfect, but I more prefer EM5's sound signature and audio stage. With this, I can live with the defects.
Hi,

Well, more expensive I would not say that.
The EM5 is offered for 850€ at the moment here in France.
The R7 is offered for 699€... Not sure you can call this more expensive.
And the mini-i 4 Pro is available on Amazon for 815€ (but is now at 950€). Not sure that is much more expensive than the 849€ asked for the Shanling EA5.
And, by the way, EM5 is running Android 7, on which you can't install any app and that has absolutely no support (expect for font colour fixing) from Shanling, when the R7 is announced to receive Android 12 soon ! I'll gladly pay a 100€ more for that !

As you, I had a preference for AKM Chips.
And them I got the Shanling EH-3 with a ES9039 DAC.
Not sure it is the DAC alone, but that is THE best thing I ever heard...

So now I would go for the mini-I pro 4 as it has a ES9039 (OK, non pro, but still... I'd trade the -1dB for something that can be used on a daily basis without workarounds and manipulations of all kind that is what you need to do with the EH-3... Unless you're totally satisfied with Eddict) AND you do not need EQ).
My only wish would be for Shanling to finally comply to DLNA standards...
But no : totally closed and "proprietary" thing :frowning2:

So selling all SHanling Stuff to get the mini-i Pro 4 instead.
If the mini-èi pro 4 does not sound good or if it does not work correctly, I'll return it and will go back to separate elements : Streamer + DAC + Headphone amp.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #893 of 896
I am so satisfied with the sound that I will continue to use my EM5. Yet my case is quite different from all of yours, guys. I am using it only for 3 things: playing files from SD card, playing music via bluetooth and as a DAC for my macbook.
Even in these cases I have an issues such as lack of gapless playback and this pisses me off. I believe software team will never tackle this anyway.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #894 of 896
I am so satisfied with the sound that I will continue to use my EM5. Yet my case is quite different from all of yours, guys. I am using it only for 3 things: playing files from SD card, playing music via bluetooth and as a DAC for my macbook.
Even in these cases I have an issues such as lack of gapless playback and this pisses me off. I believe software team will never tackle this anyway.
Software team ? No idea what that is...

But yes, you are correct that feature will never be added 😉

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #895 of 896
Hi,

Well, more expensive I would not say that.
The EM5 is offered for 850€ at the moment here in France.
The R7 is offered for 699€... Not sure you can call this more expensive.
And the mini-i 4 Pro is available on Amazon for 815€ (but is now at 950€). Not sure that is much more expensive than the 849€ asked for the Shanling EA5.
And, by the way, EM5 is running Android 7, on which you can't install any app and that has absolutely no support (expect for font colour fixing) from Shanling, when the R7 is announced to receive Android 12 soon ! I'll gladly pay a 100€ more for that !

As you, I had a preference for AKM Chips.
And them I got the Shanling EH-3 with a ES9039 DAC.
Not sure it is the DAC alone, but that is THE best thing I ever heard...

So now I would go for the mini-I pro 4 as it has a ES9039 (OK, non pro, but still... I'd trade the -1dB for something that can be used on a daily basis without workarounds and manipulations of all kind that is what you need to do with the EH-3... Unless you're totally satisfied with Eddict) AND you do not need EQ).
My only wish would be for Shanling to finally comply to DLNA standards...
But no : totally closed and "proprietary" thing :frowning2:

So selling all SHanling Stuff to get the mini-i Pro 4 instead.
If the mini-èi pro 4 does not sound good or if it does not work correctly, I'll return it and will go back to separate elements : Streamer + DAC + Headphone amp.
I got my EM5 for about $500 USD, but it was a 220v model, I modded it to 110v (see my modification post above somewhere). R7 is about $700 here and mini-i 4 pro is close to $1000.

I was also very disappointed with the software interface EM5 has. The procedure of booting up and producing the minimum sound is so complicated which will intimidated most average users. I guess that's why it is so cheap here. It is not popular at all because most American are low IQ people. I can live with it because I only use it to play music from Sony Music Center for Windows.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #896 of 896
Well, I have also formed the opinion that there is no point in using a streamer:
a good computer can do the job, or even a good tablet. And since everyone has got a computer...
Wherever I read, streamers (of any brand) are always giving software problems, and they all become obsolete in a couple of years.
If your concern is that a computer is unable to provide the same music quality, I suggest doing an A/B test.
Nowadays there are so many software solutions to make your computer / tablet be used at their best for music that I see no point to waste money for a streamer.
Had I discovered this a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have chosen an all in one, while I could have spent the same money wisely in a proper DAC and in a proper AMP.

Ciao a tutti!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back