Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Jan 26, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #871 of 896
In the latest software update, Qobuz broke the main page with collections, but you already know that. But no one has yet reported that in the favorites section the available depth for displaying the list of favorite songs has changed and has been reduced to 150 songs. The app tells you that you only have 150 songs in your favorites, and the remaining songs are not displayed. When you add a new song to your favorites, the one that was previously displayed 150th disappears. Through the search field in favorite tracks, those songs that are not displayed cannot be found, but if you find this song through the main page of searching for all songs of the service, it will be marked with a heart, indicating that the song is in your favorites. Using the Qobuz application on my smartphone, I view the full depth of the list of favorite tracks. Correct me please. And also, not for the first time, I ask you to make the display scale of the Qobuz application interface smaller, the same as tidal. Tidal displays a lot more useful controls and information due to its higher resolution. Qobuz has a very low screen resolution, which is why the interface is large and only 1.5 lines of information are available on the screen during a search!

The Qobuz app on the EM5 is garbage. I chose Tidal in the end, because of the app. Sadly, since Qobuz has better sound.

No, our software team still haven't managed to add gapless playback to our Android app.

I believe the Qobuz app on EM5 is about two years outdated and it seems it shows some issues.
Software team was asked to update it.

@Shanling: Is the Qobuz app created by you or Qobuz?

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #872 of 896
No, our software team still haven't managed to add gapless playback to our Android app.

I believe the Qobuz app on EM5 is about two years outdated and it seems it shows some issues.
Software team was asked to update it.
it is very sad that it has not been developed to perfection even in years. it is really worth considering how such a device is needed, which cannot even be used as an external DAC without limits. A very good-sounding DaC that needs the software. I'm sorry, but this is the truth...

I trust that at least Tidal connect, MQA, qobuz and uninterrupted playback will be resolved with the next update. we cheer.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #873 of 896
The Qobuz app on the EM5 is garbage. I chose Tidal in the end, because of the app. Sadly, since Qobuz has better sound.

I use Tidal, but it also bleeds. I'm trying to stream via upnp application, I don't know how good it will be yet. Edict Player crashes. Unfortunately, I didn't buy an iPad, because I didn't know that it would work without problems.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #874 of 896
I use Tidal, but it also bleeds. I'm trying to stream via upnp application, I don't know how good it will be yet. Edict Player crashes. Unfortunately, I didn't buy an iPad, because I didn't know that it would work without problems.
When playing through upnp, the playback quality is noticeably simpler compared to the sound through the built-in applications of streaming services in the device. Therefore, all that remains is to put up with the constant crashes of the screen projection mode, which, by the way, have begun to occur less frequently

Jan 26, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #875 of 896
All streaming apps on EM5 are official apps from the streaming services.

Our software team is quite reserved when it comes to updating them, which in most cases can lead to assured stable performance over time. But it can cause other issues when the streaming companies make some changes to their side of service, like it happened last year with Tidal or now with Qobuz.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 28, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #876 of 896
Hi guys,

As I don't have the EA-5 anymore and replaced it with the EH-3 I would like to ask a question.

Do you guys stream your music usign the Shanling Eddict software ?
If so, can you please answer those 2 questions ?

1°) If you want to read a folder, does playback stop at the end of the last track in the folder ? Or do you have xcontinuous playback, with Eddict jumping to the next folder and start playin,g the files in that folder ?
2°) If you have continuous playback, would you find it would be a nice addition to Eddict to have playback stopping at the end of the last track in the currently played folder ?

Regards...

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #877 of 896
Hi guys,

As I don't have the EA-5 anymore and replaced it with the EH-3 I would like to ask a question.

Do you guys stream your music usign the Shanling Eddict software ?
If so, can you please answer those 2 questions ?

1°) If you want to read a folder, does playback stop at the end of the last track in the folder ? Or do you have xcontinuous playback, with Eddict jumping to the next folder and start playin,g the files in that folder ?
2°) If you have continuous playback, would you find it would be a nice addition to Eddict to have playback stopping at the end of the last track in the currently played folder ?

Regards...

Just turn off the Folder Skip function and have playback mode in List play. It will stop at the last file in the folder.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #878 of 896
Hi,

Exactly what I already wrote whenI got one of those about 18 months ago and nothing has chenged ever since.
Glad I returned it within the 15 days I was entitled to return it.

But there is a machine that can easily be considered as something that is almost close to perfection when you consider it's features and support from manufacturer.
And that is the Fiio R7 and Fiio R9 that Shanling should take as an example... instead of the half finished and thought of Onix Miracle they distribute in their "brands".

I happen to also have a Fiio R7 (that I am now selling to get the R9).
And the R7 offers everything we should have been given by the EM5/EA5 :
- big display ;
- landscape or portrait display ;
- more recent SoC ;
- Android 10 that will be upgraded to Android 12 in the next months ;
- systemwide EQ ;
- open Android allowing to install all third party-apps ;
- lower price than the EA5/EM5...

But sound : not as good as Shanling EH-3 and (from what I can remember) also not as good as EM5/EA5).

So I a now waiting for the R9 (I will probably order one) and hope it will sound closer to Shanling devices.

BUT : what I can say from experience (and that is what I recommended to other manufacturer from China when I was asked about their new streaming device) : hardware is important ; but you can have the best hardware you want, if you ruin the experience with bad software, you'll just have bricks to prevent a door slamming... And that is what they did : fully comply to UPnP/DLNA standards and let third party-software do the job.

Fiio with the R7/R9 line is between both : they provide their own solution ; but if that does not fit your needs, they allow to use whatever you want. I have yet to see something not functioning in the Fiio, be it out-of-the-box or with the aid of third party software.

TO ALL USERS OF EA5/EM5 : here is atip that might be a savior...
I think the EA5/EM5 is discovered by Android third-party software as a renderer.
Here is what you can try :

STEP 1 : installation (done once)
On your smartphone install both apps :
- Neutron
- mConnect (or BubbleUPnP or UAPP).

STEP 2 : configure Neutron (done once)
- in Neutron, you have to enable two settings :
a) go to "settings => "Network" and enable "Media renderer (UPnP/DLNA)"
b) go to "Settings => Output to..". => choose Shanling EA5/EM5 then long press the EA5/EH5 and select "Auto connect" (first choice)

STEP 3 : configure mConnect (or any other player but I recommend mConnect)
First : hit "Play to" at the far right bottom edge. There you should select "Neutron" that now appears as a renderer.
Second, hit "Browser" at the bottom of the display, and select your media server (even the EA5/EM5 if that is available) ;
Third : Browse to the desired folder and hit "Play all"...

If all went well, you should be able to play to the Shanling EA5/EM5...
Nice thing is : in Neutron you can enable equalization and the sound will be transmitted with EQ applied...

Hope this can help you people to enjoy the EA5/EM5 even though your trust is already gone in that brand and for good reasons...

Regards.
is this the best way to stream to the device in the best quality?
I tried the usb player pro application, of course I bought all the components, (dlna,mqa decoding) it can also transfer without interruption, but I don't know which would be the best solution.

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #879 of 896
is this the best way to stream to the device in the best quality?
I tried the usb player pro application, of course I bought all the components, (dlna,mqa decoding) it can also transfer without interruption, but I don't know which would be the best solution.
Hi,
Depends.
If UAPP can stream flawlessly to the ea-5 use it.
Especially if it can stream with EQ applied.
But when I used it, it could not skip to next track and stopped playback after first track or, when I got lucky, after 4 or 5 tracks...
If you don't need EQ then check use bit perfect when possible in the renderer options.

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #880 of 896
I am happy to report that I managed to turn on the EQ even in bit perfect mode. UAPP is the king.Maybe even Shanling doesn't know how it works.I'll test it next time playback.

You can even skip to the next song with Eddict Player. finally something works well, I hope that when the update finally comes it won't spoil it, Tidal connectel will solve this.

if I use the xlr output with an rca converter, doesn't the final amplifier receive too much of a signal at the rca input?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204-231035.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204-231035.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240204-231048.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204-231048.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240204-231143.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204-231143.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240204-231436.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204-231436.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #881 of 896
I am happy to report that I managed to turn on the EQ even in bit perfect mode. UAPP is the king.Maybe even Shanling doesn't know how it works.I'll test it next time playback.

You can even skip to the next song with Eddict Player. finally something works well, I hope that when the update finally comes it won't spoil it, Tidal connectel will solve this.

if I use the xlr output with an rca converter, doesn't the final amplifier receive too much of a signal at the rca input?
Hi,

You mean you were able to turn on EQ from the EA5/EM5 not from UAPP I assume.
When you stream using UAPP, if you select "Use Bitperfect when possible" then it disables all EQ features in UAPP.
If you turn that off, you can get the sound streamed to the EA5/EM5 with EQ/PEQ from UAPP.

Of course, if you stream "Bitperfect" the sound arrives as it was in it's original format.
What happens next (if you EQ from the EA5/EM5 or Eddict or any other app) is something totally different...

Glad it works for you...

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #882 of 896

Hi @mr. Futty,

Sorry for my late reply.
First of all: thanks a lot for sharing.
Probably because of my poor English, or because I don't know UAPP, and the other apps mentioned earlier by PenguinHeadphoner, I'm not confident to have fully understood your workaround.
Let me recap my understanding:
1. Instead of using the apps installed in the EM5 system, you used your Tidal music app on your Android tablet.
2. You installed UAPP on your Android Tablet.
3. You made the UAPP receiving data from Tidal App and send data to EM5. Via USB (just like with a DAC/AMP) or via Wi-FI (like with a renderer)?
4. You set the EM5 just like it were playing local files. Can you pls recap which input and which setting you selected?
5. You were able to use the EQ and the Vu-meter features of the Shanling. Yeah!
If my understanding is correct, could you please explain step by step what you have done, possibly referring to the screenshots you have already posted?
Even I'm afraid that your solution won't apply to Apple Music, because UAPP doesn't support it, once understood the process and the settings you made, I might be able to reach a similar result with my Ipad, maybe? Or perhaps fix my problem with Amazon Prime?
Sofar, I was only able to connect my Ipad to the EM5 just like to a simple DAC/AMP.
Thank you in advance for your help and patience!

In respect of your last question:
I'm not sure if you get too much of a signal: I may be wrong, but probably not, because my understanding is that you are bringing back 3 poles into 2 poles per channel. But the real question is, since you are loosing the benefit of a balanced connection anyway, why don't you use proper RCA to RCA cables?

Please, let me know.
Rgds

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #883 of 896
Hi, Shanling

What't the real difference between 220v EM5 and 110v EM5?
I just got a 220v version of EM5, it can play using 110v power without any issue. The power board output is exact 13.5v. However, when I look at the power board, it has 3 jumpers:

220v R905 connected
110v R903 and R904 connected.

The transformer has two 115v output, so my understanding is, 110v version with two 115v output in parallel, 220v version with two 115v output in serial. Is this right? I only used headphone now, maybe the transformer is only for analog output at the back?

To convert to 110v version, only need add two jumpers and remove R905?

shanling.jpg

Feb 22, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #884 of 896
Now I understand how to convert 220v version to 110v version.

The 220v/110v only impact on the amplifier board toward back connectors. If you do not use speakers, no need to modify 110v or 220v. The front headphones, and whole machine operation is powered by Mean Well IRM-15-5, 110-240v input, 5v output. Only back side XLR output needs 13.5v power.

The 13.5v power is from a transformer with two 115v input. If they are in parallel, then this is 110v version. In serial, it is 220v. The connection is controlled by R903, R904, R905 zero ohm resistors. If only R905 is connected, it is 220v version. To convert it to 110v version, you need remove R905, and connect R903 and R904, either with jumper wire, or zero ohm resistors. For safety purpose, zero ohm resistor is preferred.

The output is +13.5 and -13.5v, total should be 27v. If a 220v version connects to 110v, the output is 13.5v only (low voltage), otherwise, if plug 110v version to 220v, the amplifier board might be burned.

You do not need buy a 110to220 transformer, just jump R903 and R904 and then remove R905.

shanling2.jpg

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #885 of 896
Hi @mr. Futty,

Sorry for my late reply.
First of all: thanks a lot for sharing.
Probably because of my poor English, or because I don't know UAPP, and the other apps mentioned earlier by PenguinHeadphoner, I'm not confident to have fully understood your workaround.
Let me recap my understanding:
1. Instead of using the apps installed in the EM5 system, you used your Tidal music app on your Android tablet.
2. You installed UAPP on your Android Tablet.
3. You made the UAPP receiving data from Tidal App and send data to EM5. Via USB (just like with a DAC/AMP) or via Wi-FI (like with a renderer)?
4. You set the EM5 just like it were playing local files. Can you pls recap which input and which setting you selected?
5. You were able to use the EQ and the Vu-meter features of the Shanling. Yeah!
If my understanding is correct, could you please explain step by step what you have done, possibly referring to the screenshots you have already posted?
Even I'm afraid that your solution won't apply to Apple Music, because UAPP doesn't support it, once understood the process and the settings you made, I might be able to reach a similar result with my Ipad, maybe? Or perhaps fix my problem with Amazon Prime?
Sofar, I was only able to connect my Ipad to the EM5 just like to a simple DAC/AMP.
Thank you in advance for your help and patience!

In respect of your last question:

I'm not sure if you get too much of a signal: I may be wrong, but probably not, because my understanding is that you are bringing back 3 poles into 2 poles per channel. But the real question is, since you are loosing the benefit of a balanced connection anyway, why don't you use proper RCA to RCA cables?

Please, let me know.
Rgds

Hi @Inazumaluke

I apologize for the delay, I just checked where is update promised by the @Shanling with Tidal connect support, support languages (ć,ť,š,ü,ő) ,and much more..

1. yes
2. yes, Lenovo Tab
3. Im use Cast function in UAPP
4. EM5 was in DLNA mode
5. yes,

I only subscribe to Tidal,I don't know either Apple Music or Amazon Prime

Unfortunately the brutal hardware behind preschool software spoils the EM5. They promised that the situation would change, but we didn't get anything in 2 months.

Since the digital output doesn't output sound when playing in MQA format, I have to use XLR output, but I don't have that input on the amplifier. (im use two systems, one for stereo and second 5.1) remains the converter, this is the next good solution from the manufacturer.

Im sory for my bad english

Attachments

• ad8d77d2-e3e9-4281-acb5-f6d327e33a1a.jpg
    ad8d77d2-e3e9-4281-acb5-f6d327e33a1a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
  • d010d2a0-5625-4e23-8812-7abc5236f072.jpg
    d010d2a0-5625-4e23-8812-7abc5236f072.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4f7c10be-0931-4321-be91-95242264b938.jpg
    4f7c10be-0931-4321-be91-95242264b938.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 8afd1dab-00bb-4770-9dad-f2f4ae6377dc.jpg