Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
May 7, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #2,147 of 6,065
Question for my fellow KSE owners, is it just me or are the cables cumbersome and easily tangled. I find myself checking them every night to make sure the ribbon is not permanently bent. Also, I noticed on my first set of cables if a permanent bend develops the impedance must rise because I was running the volume up at least 2 steps to compensate.

May 7, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,148 of 6,065
Another question ouchia,

Do you own Sensaphonics custom sleeves or are your comments purely theoretical?

I don't think folks are saying that the Sensaphonics is bad but at the same time as I initially posed last week, from the Sensaphonics folks here in Japan themselves, they're cautious to make a statement that it'll be positive effect for all KSE1500 owners for the very reason @goodvibes has eloquently put.

So in other words for the rest of the KSE1500 owners here, is as with all other recommendations here on Head-Fi, to proceed with caution. Just because it works for some folks doesn't mean it works for all.

Question for my fellow KSE owners, is it just me or are the cables cumbersome and easily tangled. I find myself checking them every night to make sure the ribbon is not permanently bent. Also, I noticed on my first set of cables if a permanent bend develops the impedance must rise because I was running the volume up at least 2 steps to compensate.

I can feel two cables inside the sleeve and at least in mine, the sleeve is reasonably loose enough where I can "rotate" so that the whole cable doesn't look twisted. I roll up the cable with 3 fingers so therefore tight but not too much that would damage the cable. I've had solid-core cables before of which are prone to damage easily.

May 7, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2,149 of 6,065
I don't think folks are saying that the Sensaphonics is bad but at the same time as I initially posed last week, from the Sensaphonics folks here in Japan themselves, they're cautious to make a statement that it'll be positive effect for all KSE1500 owners for the very reason @goodvibes
has eloquently put.

So in other words for the rest of the KSE1500 owners here, is as with all other recommendations here on Head-Fi, to proceed with caution. Just because it works for some folks doesn't mean it works for all.

I can feel two cables inside the sleeve and at least in mine, the sleeve is reasonably loose enough where I can "rotate" so that the whole cable doesn't look twisted. I roll up the cable with 3 fingers so therefore tight but not too much that would damage the cable. I've had solid-core cables before of which are prone to damage easily.

Thanks Sean for the advice as I have never had solid core cables before and the two weeks I waiting for my replacement cable/earphone was torture.

Sean as you have the JHA Layla would you mind doing a brief comparison between the KSE and Layla.

May 7, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2,150 of 6,065
Thanks Sean for the advice as I have never had solid core cables before and the two weeks I waiting for my replacement cable/earphone was torture.

Sean as you have the JHA Layla would you mind doing a brief comparison between the KSE and Layla.

Hehehe.....I'm gonna be as polite as possible but just to simply say the Layla's "aren't for me" tonally, nor technically. Will PM you.

May 8, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #2,152 of 6,065

I had a chat with the Sensaphonics folks in Japan during the Fujiya Spring Festival last week and asked them about the custom sleeves. It's rather interesting from their perspective, they're extremely conservative in their views. In short, they're not as excited about making custom sleeves for the KSE1500 unless the customer really wants to - i.e. they're not pushing nor marketing hard for it.

The reason being is that they say they can't guarantee the sound as different folks have different ear shapes, for some sleeves, the KSE1500 may be deeper set into the sleeve, whilst for other ears with narrower canals, the KSE1500 may be set slightly further out - what this means is that the channel path from the tip to the KSE1500 to the canal opening to one's ear's may vary and that'll impact the sound change as to how the KSE1500 was originally intended.

As I am no expert in insertion depth of an IEM effecting the sound, I relied upon the in house audiologist at Sensaphonics to correctly decide the proper depth of my sleeves.

I agree my tone of my previous post was caustic so let me apologize. I love a good argument as it is my profession but I do believe I went too far so again I apologize.

Read the quote above yours and you have your answer regarding disagreeing with Sensaphonics. I was going to tell you to chill out but see you've already come to terms with that so
beerchug.gif
​. To the fellow that's concerned about bending tubes. That is actually less of a concern that you may think. There is no bouncing. The audio wavelengths are much smaller than the diameter of the tube so you effectively have pressure waves emanating out of the end of the tip. In theory, any hard material should sound about the same here but in practice there are minor differences. Perhaps there is some pressure deformation/dynamic absorption of a softer tube but that's not for here. Every tip that comes with the Shure will offer a minor character change. To say the Sensaphonic will not is just silly. Which stock tip would it sound alike to? It's not a better or worse proposition. It could be either or neither but it will not be identical.

May 8, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,155 of 6,065
Now that I have made my portable system much more portable by swapping my Hugo for a MOJO, I hesitate to add a KSE-1500 that will make my set-up bigger again...

But... I tested the SHURE and I really really prefer the KSE-1500 to my Roxane.  

The SHURE offer increadible details while remaining highly musical and non-fatiguing ! and it is very confortable !  

So... I wonder How some other TOL IEMs like the K10 or the Translucent Plus5 will compare to the KSE-1500 ? 

--> Are there some "standard" IEMs that can compet with the SHURE ?  (and thus avoiding the extra bulk of the SHURE's Amplifier)

May 8, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,157 of 6,065
@bmichels it depends if you want to stay universal or may go custom..

Well, I already have Customs (My roxane), and I do NOT want customs anymore.  So I am looking for universals...

May 8, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2,160 of 6,065
just gotten my KSE.

can't explain about the bass. not rumbling and boomy, but somehow I think I can feel the bass is more refined and not fighting with the other frequencies.

hope I am making sense.

summary, non-fatiguing and so so smooth sounding. have been listening for 3 hours straight...

Welcome to rich neutrality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back