Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
May 10, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,191 of 6,065
It isn't a problem of stax but other IEM , we are used to coloured IEM and midrange is where most IEM makers colour the sound the most.

I saying that because you saying "While I haven't perceived the sonic related issues you have in general stax midrange tend to sound that way." I know many headphones and iems are very coloured but I say that I never have impressions Stax midrange was a problem. The midrange of Shure kse1500 is a problem for me and it isn't natural sound, specially compared to my Sennheiser hd800 and speaker systems I hear in my life. This was big surprise for me. The midrange on kse1500 sound detailed, yes, but not natural, is strange.

May 10, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #2,192 of 6,065

I saying that because you saying "While I haven't perceived the sonic related issues you have in general stax midrange tend to sound that way." I know many headphones and iems are very coloured but I say that I never have impressions Stax midrange was a problem. The midrange of Shure kse1500 is a problem for me and it isn't natural sound, specially compared to my Sennheiser hd800 and speaker systems I hear in my life. This was big surprise for me. The midrange on kse1500 sound detailed, yes, but not natural, is strange.

That's whats great about the kse1500 it plays the music as is and uncolored, what the artist intended to. It reveals every micro detail that most iems, headphones and speakers hide away. 

May 10, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,193 of 6,065

That's whats great about the kse1500 it plays the music as is and uncolored, what the artist intended to. It reveals every micro detail that most iems, headphones and speakers hide away. 

I'm sorry but I'm not agree with this. I think my hd800 have the same detail but sound more natural, more balanced. My R2 Pro isn't maybe not so detailed but sound more natural for me. And I hear in my life some speakers systems sounding definitely better, more realistic, than kse1500.

May 10, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #2,194 of 6,065
I'm sorry but I'm not agree with this. I think my hd800 have the same detail but sound more natural, more balanced. My R2 Pro isn't maybe not so detailed but sound more natural for me. And I hear in my life some speakers systems sounding definitely better, more realistic, than kse1500.

May be your KSE1500 was defective ? Or the eartips not scealing well ? I listened to them for 3 days (connected to my HUGO) and now I want to get one !

Indeed, I found them super detailed and super musical/Smooth at the same time, which is quite a chalenge. And I had no confort/noise issue with the Cable.

May 10, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #2,195 of 6,065

Maybe you mean natural as warm sound signature which is what your use to, the kse1500 is a lot more more neutral and clinical, takes a while to get used to.

May 10, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #2,196 of 6,065
May be your KSE1500 was defective ? I listened to them for 3 days (connected to my HUGO) and now I want to get one !

Indeed, I found them super detailed and super musical/Smooth at the same time, which is quite a chalenge. And I had no confort/noise issue with the Cable.

Angelom, I initially had a constant high-pitched sound which was related to a USB charger but have had no such issue since replacing the charger or when running on batteries.  If not resolved, that buzz although fairly quiet would have driven me to distraction and turned me off to the KSE1500. 

The KSE1500 with AK120 and Chord Hugo has become my reference rig, not just for portable use but in general.  I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience but it would be a shame to base judgment if the unit was improperly functioning as bmichels suggested.  I hope that there is an opportunity for an audition with a properly functioning unit, the SQ is so well worth it.

May 10, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #2,197 of 6,065
May be your KSE1500 was defective ? Or the eartips not scealing well ? I listened to them for 3 days (connected to my HUGO) and now I want to get one !

The kse1500 is very good but the sound isn't for everybody. I like reference sound, but I think kse1500 isn't reference/neutral exactly. This midrange is a problem for me.

Comfort is not a problem for me. But the cable noise is there and shirt clip is necessary, if you're ok with the noise that's good, I know other people will say they don't like it. I'm not happy about the noise. I never have this problem with iems around the ear (Westone, Shure, Angie, FitEar and more). Is curious that kse1500 cable and I remember the old se530 cable that was a big problem.

Originally Posted by 35FLE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe you mean natural as warm sound signature which is what your use to, the kse1500 is a lot more more neutral and clinical, takes a while to get used to.

The hd800 is never described as warn headphone, probably the opposite! The R2 Pro isn't warn either.

Please accept the kse1500 isn't for everybody and maybe isn't as neutral like many people say. If people don't like this iem enough this isn't mean they don't like reference or neutral sound.

If you like this earphone I think it's fantastic, really. I was very exciting to try and maybe buy this very expensive iem but it isn't for me. I will wait for next generation of kse iem or similar from other company with good reputation. One thing is really true, I think Shure can improving the quality of construction of the kse1500. The box is beautiful and it's looking expensive and classy but the contents inside isn't like premium products in my opinion. I don't try Campfire Audio iems yet but they looking very premium. FitEar products are premium, with excellent, really excellent quality of construction. I prefer cheap box but with solid contents than the opposite.

Angelom, I initially had a constant high-pitched sound which was related to a USB charger but have had no such issue since replacing the charger or when running on batteries.  If not resolved, that buzz although fairly quiet would have driven me to distraction and turned me off to the KSE1500. 

The KSE1500 with AK120 and Chord Hugo has become my reference rig, not just for portable use but in general.  I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience but it would be a shame to base judgment if the unit was improperly functioning as bmichels suggested.  I hope that there is an opportunity for an audition with a properly functioning unit, the SQ is so well worth it.

Hello expat852. Thank you for your post.

I have problem with high pitch sound with or without battery (with or without charging unit, charging from MacBook Pro or the wall socket). I don't sure the unit is faulty really, and if I have opportunity for trying another pair I will try but it isn't probable. The high pitch sound is quiet but is there all the time and is a problem when music is quiet passages or it's silence like in many classical pieces. I think if the high pitch sound disappear the kse1500 signature will be the same, and that is that the midrange problem will remaining there. I say before and I repeat: I see very good potential for improvement or refinement.

May 10, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #2,198 of 6,065
I had the same issue with the Sensaphonics custom sleeves.  They definitely changed the sound signature - at least to my ears.  The sound seemed less detailed and wasn't as enjoyable.  Went back to my Comply isolation tips and the KSE's sounded awesome again.

I thought the Sensaphonics would make the Shure's as comfortable as my custom UERM's but that also did not happen.

May 10, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,199 of 6,065
Im surprise about the mids is the issue. I think to most of us its where the shures are great. But different people different preference. Also things like seal and tip changes the sound signature so maybe its just not fitting or the sound is just not your cup of tea.

May 11, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #2,200 of 6,065
Just received my MOJO->KSE1500 connection Cable that DHC custom Made for me and the Triple flange eartips that I tested recently with succes with my friend's KSE1500

Now... I juste need to find a dealer with KSE On stock ! :)

May 11, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #2,201 of 6,065
Just received my MOJO->KSE1500 connection Cable that DHC custom Made for me and the Triple flange eartips that I tested recently with succes with my friend's KSE1500

Now... I juste need ro find a dealer with KSE On stock ! :)

You are half way to a truly remarkable sonic experience. I use the Chord Mojo to feed my KSE1500. The slight warmth of the Mojo makes it a great pairing with the KSE.

May 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #2,202 of 6,065
You are half way to a truly remarkable sonic experience. I use the Chord Mojo to feed my KSE1500. The slight warmth of the Mojo makes it a great pairing with the KSE.

MOJO better than the HUGO for the KSE1500 ?  (I owe booth: HUGO & MOJO)

May 11, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,203 of 6,065
MOJO better than the HUGO for the KSE1500 ?  (I owe booth: HUGO & MOJO)

If I can speak for my good friend M Coupe who has both, yes the slight warmth of the Mojo makes for a better pairing with the KSE than the more clinical nature of the Hugo. As frequency response and your reaction to it is idiosyncratic you may prefer the Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back