Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 22, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #31 of 6,068
At last, first Etymotic's contender and it's only 10 times more expensive
bigsmile_face.gif

Regardless, I'm interested
smile_phones.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #32 of 6,068
  While the development, and Shure coming out of silence, were nice and all, can we take a moment to digest a plastic set of earphones with fixed wires for $3K in context? I mean, where is this industry heading? Stereo 2-channel HiFi prices? Isn't the reason Head-Fi and Headphones Hobby took off in a big way mostly due to the aversion to the multi thousand dollars 2 channel setups? Now we are slowly crawling towards that limit.

Kanapak, your point is valid, and I agree to a certain extent. 

In this occasion, it looks like Shure has the prime mover advantage (except for Stax attempt to make electrostatic earphones) to the mass market; they are selling the innovation and technology they invested in the past 8 years, which currently does not have much competition.

Whether the benefits of their innovation in an IEM is worth paying $3k vs. increased BAs number/pricing trend vs. hybrids BAs + dynamic/s and etc. is to be seen (in this case, to be heard).

"My 2 cents opinion"

Cheers 
redface.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #33 of 6,068

@kapanak  I'd say we're heading towards having the sound quality available in desktop rigs available in portable ones. For people who use portable systems a lot, and can afford a serious system, this is a big deal. My past complaint has been that any resolution available is lost without good isolation, but Shure just answered that with this rig.

Quote:
  Now I'm just wondering how they sound like compared to the Layla's.

Dammit, I just got the Layla's not too long ago.

I have loaner Laylas here. I'll bring them to Tokyo with me and compare them with Jude's new electronic mistress. 
gs1000.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #40 of 6,068
Looks like an interesting product, and kudos to Shure for investing in the R&D for something like this. Personally, I wouldn't touch it unless Shure provide a warranty on the cable connection into the IEMs of at least five years, preferably ten. Shure have very bad form on failure of fixed connection cables (as a previous SE500 owner I can vouch first hand for this).

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #41 of 6,068
I wish it was 2000 USD, at that price i would buy it, 3000 USD is a little too hard to swallow. 
Sell all you have and come up with 2k more and its yours.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #42 of 6,068
Poor Olddude, there appears to be no balanced cable option.  :wink:
I am sad, I can afford these things and have been very happy with my 846's.
Fun.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #44 of 6,068
While I love the idea of Stat IEMs (especially with Shures model to stay in ear), 3000 dollars (it will become 4000 dollars in Poland) is not worth even thinking about for me.
At that price, Im sorry to say but I dont care how good they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back