Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 18, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #20,761 of 22,954
B9BAC4B5-1558-49A9-8D5F-82629DA57807.jpeg
2A1CFEAA-2315-478A-AE62-D10127361D7E.jpeg

May 18, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #20,762 of 22,954
While there are better IEMs, I still own my pair of SE846, and come back to them from time to time. They just got a new RMCE-BT2 Bluetooth-cable (love that word), and yes, I still like them. A lot. Given their age they may well be my best investment in Audio... I've tried the white filters for a while, but then switched back to the blue (without mods), since they offer a smoother, more balanced treble to my ears. Going from M sized olives to S helped with comfort.

May 18, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #20,764 of 22,954
May 18, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #20,765 of 22,954
Not surprising given that the QDC Anole VX is a flagship IEM. It’s a very well respected IEM. Let us know what you think after listening to them for a bit.
Well, after a whole day listening to them I'm glad I've found my dream IEM. But the SHURE's are very competent for the price and left me in love for a few days (that sub...). QDC's are the pinnacle of resolution, imaging, separation and bass. Best of both worlds. Simply outstanding. headfonics.com has a very good review of them that tells everything one needs to know to make a decision,.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #20,766 of 22,954
A couple more pics, of different angles.

884C0CAC-F6FA-49F7-BEE8-9098D2D1AB32.jpeg
33908E0A-632B-40C0-A16D-614865ACC0A6.jpeg

May 20, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #20,768 of 22,954
I finally took the plunge and upgraded from my old trusty SE535s to these and don't regret it one bit. I am loving their sound, and even more so after experimenting a bit with the different filter mods (settling for now with the green Knowles damper).
Because I would like to get (even) more out of them, I was wondering whether it would make a substantial difference to pair them with a portable headphone amp. I have a Topping NX1 that's been lying in a drawer for ages, and find that it does seem to add some more warmth and dynamics overall, though it also increases the hiss. I mostly play audio files (some lossless but mostly 320 kpbs AAC files) on a variety of iPods, connecting the amp to the line output. I listen to all genres of music, from classical and film scores to rock, hip-hop and acoustic. I like a natural, clear sound with a solid bass foundation. The amp would have to be small and suitable for mobile (pocket) use. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #20,769 of 22,954
It's a hell of a sexy beast and a hell of a picture. :wink: But you need more light. hehe.

True, but lighting it is difficult, because the convex nature of the shell produces a ton of reflections, so I kept having to move things around to get a clear picture of the innards. Not professional by any stretch.

May 20, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #20,770 of 22,954
I finally took the plunge and upgraded from my old trusty SE535s to these and don't regret it one bit. I am loving their sound, and even more so after experimenting a bit with the different filter mods (settling for now with the green Knowles damper).
Because I would like to get (even) more out of them, I was wondering whether it would make a substantial difference to pair them with a portable headphone amp. I have a Topping NX1 that's been lying in a drawer for ages, and find that it does seem to add some more warmth and dynamics overall, though it also increases the hiss. I mostly play audio files (some lossless but mostly 320 kpbs AAC files) on a variety of iPods, connecting the amp to the line output. I listen to all genres of music, from classical and film scores to rock, hip-hop and acoustic. I like a natural, clear sound with a solid bass foundation. The amp would have to be small and suitable for mobile (pocket) use. Any suggestions?

I think it scales well with different sources. I think the output impedance is the stat to look out for, making sure it’s preferably less than 1 Ohm. I’ll let others with more experience chime in. FWIW, I really like how it sounds with the Dragonfly Cobalt.

May 20, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #20,771 of 22,954
FWIW, I really like how it sounds with the Dragonfly Cobalt.

Same. I use mine with a Dragonfly Cobalt and really like how it sounds as well. My SE846 are pretty much permanently pconnected to my DFC. I use Android phones and found UAPP really helps as well.

I do use my DFC/SE846 on my PC to listen to Qobuz (in exclusive mode) once in a while but find the volume to be a bit loud for me and have to use it on the lowest volume setting (1 or 2 out of 100 in Windows). I think it sounds great though and have no complaints.

May 21, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #20,772 of 22,954
I've had my Shure 846 for a few years. They still sound amazing however the connector on the right earpiece has become loose and it moves around a lot. This is regardless of what cable I use and it only happens on the right earpiece. So the actual stem of mmxc connector will wiggle around where it meets the 846. I've tried third party cables and I also purchased an new official Shure cable and they all move around on the right earpiece. I can hear it cutting out a bit If I go running for example. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

May 28, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #20,773 of 22,954
It's been five years since I traded away my 846, and since then I've tried many other TOTL IEMs/CIEMs and while I've listened to some great phones I have always missed the 846 sub bass and wished I still had them. Well today I received a new pair of 846s and my god out of the box the bass is just overpowering, listening through my DAC/amp with the bass boost on it's exactly the insane bass I remember it to be, so happy I got them again. Now to get a headphone lounge silver cable and do the filter mod to get that extra treble extension/clarity and I'll be set for life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back