Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #20,778 of 22,954
It's been five years since I traded away my 846, and since then I've tried many other TOTL IEMs/CIEMs and while I've listened to some great phones I have always missed the 846 sub bass and wished I still had them. Well today I received a new pair of 846s and my god out of the box the bass is just overpowering, listening through my DAC/amp with the bass boost on it's exactly the insane bass I remember it to be, so happy I got them again. Now to get a headphone lounge silver cable and do the filter mod to get that extra treble extension/clarity and I'll be set for life.

My previous setup was with black modded filters and the Shure triple flange tip. Set them up like this at the earliest opportunity, but actually didn't enjoy that much. Found the mids and highs were a bit recessed and the triple flange tips just were not comfortable.

Took the foam out of the blue filters and tried those and found the mids were more forward, particularly with Au5 - Follow you the piano keys at the very start had more weight to them. For the tips I have lately been thoroughly enjoying the KZ silicone tips but the inner diameter is at least twice that of the 846, so I cut the stalks off some spare Shure triple flanges to use as adaptors and now they are much more comfortable. I did try the Shure single flanges but found a reduction in SQ.

Some reference songs I use:

Au5 - Follow you
Fantastic mix of treble and bass. There is a heavy bass drop at the beginning that ideally has a deep rumble without overpowering the vocals. The intro is also a great test for the highs, the vocals should have a lot of sparkle but not become sibilant.

Howard Shore - Misty Mountains
This song is just vocals, but the vocalists have incredibly deep masculine voices that really rumble. Good sub-bass/bass test.

Ed Sheeran - I See Fire
Yes another Hobbit song. This song features a lot of detail in the mid range. Try and pick out the multiple layers of vocals, on IEMs with lower clarity/seperation it will sound like there is one vocals, when actually it is layered.

May 28, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #20,779 of 22,954
The SE846 is indeed layered for a 4 driver setup, I actually think it punches above its wheight, but when you start listening to a good 10BA setup, that is real layering. However these IEMs cost 2-3x the price of the SHURE's, so for 800€, or even 900€, you get a IEM capable of outperforming 1200€-1400€ IEMs in pretty much everything. They are very good and still one of the best IEMs I've tried and I've had LCD-i4, QDC Anole VX nd some more at that price tag.

Now, how would they fare against Anole VX? There's no comparison in this specific case. But it's a $2500 IEM.

The level of satisfaction and enjoyement and fidelity the SE846 gives you under 1000€ is outstanding. They're the best I've heard under 1400€.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #20,780 of 22,954
The SE846 is indeed layered for a 4 driver setup, I actually think it punches above its wheight, but when you start listening to a good 10BA setup, that is real layering. However these IEMs cost 2-3x the price of the SHURE's, so for 800€, or even 900€, you get a IEM capable of outperforming 1200€-1400€ IEMs in pretty much everything. They are very good and still one of the best IEMs I've tried and I've had LCD-i4, QDC Anole VX nd some more at that price tag.

Now, how would they fare against Anole VX? There's no comparison in this specific case. But it's a $2500 IEM.

I have Noble K10 CIEMs (see sig). For critical listening I will use those, but for just chucking in IEMs and listening to music during the day the 846 is much better.

May 28, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #20,782 of 22,954
Not the case with the Anole VX. They will always be much better :)

Maybe one day I'll get to listen but I'm married with kids so can't throw money at this hobby like I used to lol. That's why I went with the 846, my daily driver was the UE900 until it broke and rather then take a risk on new IEMs I decided to go with something I know would satisfy. Even the $ for the 846 took awhile to set aside, can't imagine saving for the anole VX haha.

May 28, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #20,783 of 22,954
Maybe one day I'll get to listen but I'm married with kids so can't throw money at this hobby like I used to lol. That's why I went with the 846, my daily driver was the UE900 until it broke and rather then take a risk on new IEMs I decided to go with something I know would satisfy. Even the $ for the 846 took awhile to set aside, can't imagine saving for the anole VX haha.

Yep, I consider myself really blessed to be able to get the 846.

May 28, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #20,784 of 22,954
Yes, totally understandable. This hobby can make some of us loose our common sense and spend the money of an used car on an headphone. It took me alot of time to get here too and that was because I was lucky with some decisions in my life, but I confess I have lost my mind once again on audio gear... Sometimes there is repentance. Hate this feeling :S

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #20,787 of 22,954
I couldn't settle on a single "best" ear tip; having many, of both foam and silicon, I keep switching them up. Most recently I ordered a new set of INAIRS and have settled on these for the time being. Currently streaming Zog radio in FLAC via Foobar and the subbass is a thing of beauty
1590775314968.png

May 29, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #20,788 of 22,954
Anybody used any of the LG v series of phones with the 846? Can you comment on how it well they pair?

FiiO M15 is great, but I guess that DX228 is excellent as well.

Looked at that. Can't find the output impedance?

May 29, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #20,789 of 22,954
What are the good DAP pairings with the 846 these days?
This is not a DAP, but I really like how the se846 sound with the Dragonfly Cobalt. I use it with my phone. OI is 0.65 ohms for DFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back