Shure SRH840a
Oct 15, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #136 of 178
I cant stand IEM and in ear ,i tried with so many ,my ear canal is in pain after a few minutes and also the pressure in the ear is very big,like diving!
Ok, I very never tried high end cans, but as with the iem, I'm just thinking the Shure are very good in similar ways to a 600euro iem that is rated very highly. Great details and separation of instruments. I listen to IDM electronic music with lots of elements and the Shure show them all crisply like the iem

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #137 of 178
Best headphones i have tried and finally kept were in the 150-350 price range ,using good DACS and or preamps, never felt that any headphone above that price range was justified for its price.I use headphones only were i can not use monitors or speakers.I have tried most in that range but not the newer shure ,so i try to see what others think about it. Opinions of course are personal as is how we perceive sound i guess ,i bought very famed headphones in the past to find out that they were not what i wanted or were to tiring and bringing fatigue.

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #138 of 178
Best headphones i have tried and finally kept were in the 150-350 price range ,using good DACS and or preamps, never felt that any headphone above that price range was justified for its price.I use headphones only were i can not use monitors or speakers.I have tried most in that range but not the newer shure ,so i try to see what others think about it. Opinions of course are personal as is how we perceive sound i guess ,i bought very famed headphones in the past to find out that they were not what i wanted or were to tiring and bringing fatigue.
Well I love the Shures and I think too that they are probably going to be very good competition vs 600 euro headphone. I only use phone and I think they could do with a bit more power.. this guy has good impressions and seems a very honest channel.. He actually loves the 840a and his opinion that they really are as good as a much more expensive headphones..

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #139 of 178
if you use a phone try to get a dongle dac ,the quality you will get is extremely good.I use an Ibasso DC3 (the previous version) and i am very happy with it.
On board sound on most if not all phones is not anywhere near!

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #140 of 178
I got my 840As a few months ago to use at work after the headband on my trusty 840s broke irreparably. I loved the 840s and had them for at least 10+ years and they were just a delight to listen to. What I love is that they are accurate without being sterile. I then had a choice, get a new pair of the 840s or go for the 840As. After reading a few reviews I chose the latter and I'm glad I did. They still have that accurate tonal and timbral sound signature to make a piano sound like a piano and they reproduce the human voice beautifully. Where they score above the old 840s is in the bass region. They go deeper without sounding unnatural and there is seamless progression into the midrange.

I'm going to look at possibly removing some of the baffling in the earpads (as Ryan HO hinted at in his YT review) just to see what it does with both the treble and the bass. I did this with my HD580s and it made a big and positive difference.

For the cost, these are a no brainer. I purchased them from Addicted to Audio for $300 Australian and they are a bargain at the price. I run mine out of my work laptop via a Fiio Q1 original model. It does make a difference in sound and is small enough to use in a portable setting (which I don't). @Alou's advice to use a dongle DAC/Amp is good advice if you do want to go portable. I can't recommend these highly enough. You'd spend quite a bit more money to get a better sound.

Oct 16, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #141 of 178
I got my 840As a few months ago to use at work after the headband on my trusty 840s broke irreparably. I loved the 840s and had them for at least 10+ years and they were just a delight to listen to. What I love is that they are accurate without being sterile. I then had a choice, get a new pair of the 840s or go for the 840As. After reading a few reviews I chose the latter and I'm glad I did. They still have that accurate tonal and timbral sound signature to make a piano sound like a piano and they reproduce the human voice beautifully. Where they score above the old 840s is in the bass region. They go deeper without sounding unnatural and there is seamless progression into the midrange.

I'm going to look at possibly removing some of the baffling in the earpads (as Ryan HO hinted at in his YT review) just to see what it does with both the treble and the bass. I did this with my HD580s and it made a big and positive difference.

For the cost, these are a no brainer. I purchased them from Addicted to Audio for $300 Australian and they are a bargain at the price. I run mine out of my work laptop via a Fiio Q1 original model. It does make a difference in sound and is small enough to use in a portable setting (which I don't). @Alou's advice to use a dongle DAC/Amp is good advice if you do want to go portable. I can't recommend these highly enough. You'd spend quite a bit more money to get a better sound.
I have them in Starbucks right now and commuted on bus. For winter, the next 5 months, these make fine sense as portable. They are a level above the size profile of portable designed ANC headphones, but the last few days , both moving around outside and going in to shops, they manoeuvre just the same as my Sony XM3, slip down around neck and cups flatten on chest. I tied the 3m cable into a 1 meter also!.. I'll probably sort a shorter cable, Shure have one made for this and 440a which has an inline remote and mic, but actually, as I said, it's winter, it's big jacket time here, so everything is just blending in,, cable inside jacket,, and the cans are not out of the ordinary , sticking out noticeably, the design is sleek and modern enough,, and I'm quite enjoying the gold bling if anybody cares to notice! I'll have to get a some extra ceiling volume head room , Wavelet is sweetened right up and the gain limiter is maxed. I'll try a Samsung dongle and fortify it, they break so easily,, but in long run I'll get something nice.. I'm really loving this discovery, it's come after a year of looking at Focal Elegia , Audio Technicas, etcetc, it's only because I went to this art exhibition which had 440a being used for an exhibit that brought me to 840a,, and then the research reviews, Ryan Ho.. I have to come to the conclusion that this is a gem hiding in pain sight because I was really digging hard the last year, of course I was looking at 1540s, but not these,, and I reckon it's because I conditioned myself not to look at anything below 450bucks as a contender. And also I reckon Shure gets eye rolled as old hat and workhorse fare doing a job..So good on Ryan Ho for championing these,, and boy he is 1000% behind these drivers and tuning, and that enthusiasm for me, and the honesty of it, down to the fact that looking at his other videos, and the options he has, he went with these.. Hidden gem for the portable audiophile option!..
. Also yes the baffling,, so there are further explorations to be made,, I'd be terrified of mucking that up!... But it reminds me that I've been thinking about the pad swap option of maybe getting the 940 velours

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #146 of 178
I was also thinking about buying their cable for the phone. It weighs only 14 grams. But it seems fragile to me and is expensive. And I bought a twisted Shure cable and a high-quality plastic socket. The result is in the photo.

ps The twisted one is even a little softer than the straight one. Twisted weighs 150 grams. My version of the cut cable + socket is only 15 grams and I connect 2m and 0.5m depending on the circumstances.

photo_2023-10-16_14-14-48.jpg

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #147 of 178
I was also thinking about buying their cable for the phone. It weighs only 14 grams. But it seems fragile to me and is expensive. And I bought a twisted Shure cable and a high-quality plastic socket. The result is in the photo.

ps The twisted one is even a little softer than the straight one. Twisted weighs 150 grams. My version of the cut cable + socket is only 15 grams and I connect 2m and 0.5m depending on the circumstances.

Hm I see, thats an interesting solution.. So you get the Shure designed locking mechanism this way,, and then you get the connectivity by adding the 3.5-3.5... did you say that was cut down in size?.. Also for portable phone use. An L shaped connector in to phone would make it more comfortable,,, but if a get a dongle that won't matter I suppose

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #149 of 178
Is the socket mini xlr ?
I bought the cord and connector at Thomann, there is an iron one from rean, but it weighs ~10-11 grams.And there is a plastic one from Thomann 4.5mm, it’s called Thomann, it makes a good impression, it’s made in Japan, it weighs 3 grams, the Shure cable fits into this connector with force and nothing comes loose.

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #150 of 178
Hm I see, thats an interesting solution.. So you get the Shure designed locking mechanism this way,, and then you get the connectivity by adding the 3.5-3.5... did you say that was cut down in size?.. Also for portable phone use. An L shaped connector in to phone would make it more comfortable,,, but if a get a dongle that won't matter I suppose
I don't really like the corner connectors, they scroll.

When I need to listen from the phone, I connect a 0.5m cable and this completely solves the issue. My cables (3,5-3,5) are soft and transmit almost no rustling or knocking noises, they are cheap, the audio signal is transmitted without loss, I compared them with the original fostex cable for $75. What I mean is that the cable doesn’t have to be expensive...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back