Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #2,461 of 2,587

If he is using the R6 2020 version, this has LO for both 4.4mm and 3.5mm, otherwise the original R6 has line out through the 3.5mm jack only if I'm not mistaken. Using the LO does not do double amplification as the voltage out of LO is suitable for input to an amp.
No idea. Cool. So it just functions as a DAC. I stand corrected.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #2,462 of 2,587
Thanks for the input, mine is the R6 Pro2 which hasn't got huge power. All I want is a bit more volume, since equalizing the 109's I am having to listen at 2-3 oclock volumes, so I would prefer a bit more headroom regarding volume. I was going to connect from the 4.4 lo via an interconnect to SA1's xlr's.
Have tried another amp in the past, an inferior one and I thought everything sounded better, especially the bass had more presence. Did not keep it as had some sort of ground problem as when I turned the volume I was getting a static noise.
Is it correct that interconnects have to be 3 wires on each side ? Asking as have been told so and this makes finding a cable much more difficult in the UK.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #2,463 of 2,587
Thanks for the input, mine is the R6 Pro2 which hasn't got huge power. All I want is a bit more volume, since equalizing the 109's I am having to listen at 2-3 oclock volumes, so I would prefer a bit more headroom regarding volume. I was going to connect from the 4.4 lo via an interconnect to SA1's xlr's.
Have tried another amp in the past, an inferior one and I thought everything sounded better, especially the bass had more presence. Did not keep it as had some sort of ground problem as when I turned the volume I was getting a static noise.
Is it correct that interconnects have to be 3 wires on each side ? Asking as have been told so and this makes finding a cable much more difficult in the UK.
1710149024466.png

I reckon u need a cable similar to this. Good luck

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #2,465 of 2,587
Singxer arrived today, connected from HibyR6pro2 via 4.4 blanced to back of Singxer XLR, high gain turned on. Connected front Singxer 4.4 balanced to the 109's.
No difference in volume whatsoever, Hiby sounds the same volumwise without the amp. Reason I bought this amp is since I equalized the 109' lost a bit of volume.
Hiby set at 60-70% of volume without amp is enough volume, with amp same volume on the Hiby and the amp is at 3 oclock I am getting the same amount of volume.
Couple of weeks back tried a Zan Can and had loads of headroom regarding the volume, only reason I did not keep it was because of a hum and static noise.
Any ideas guys as to why I have hardly gained anything in the volume department ? Do I need an external Dac to achieve this ?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #2,466 of 2,587
Singxer arrived today, connected from HibyR6pro2 via 4.4 blanced to back of Singxer XLR, high gain turned on. Connected front Singxer 4.4 balanced to the 109's.
No difference in volume whatsoever, Hiby sounds the same volumwise without the amp. Reason I bought this amp is since I equalized the 109' lost a bit of volume.
Hiby set at 60-70% of volume without amp is enough volume, with amp same volume on the Hiby and the amp is at 3 oclock I am getting the same amount of volume.
Couple of weeks back tried a Zan Can and had loads of headroom regarding the volume, only reason I did not keep it was because of a hum and static noise.
Any ideas guys as to why I have hardly gained anything in the volume department ? Do I need an external Dac to achieve this ?
Not sure if I totally understand the situation, but one thing to know about this amp is a lot of the volume is near the end of the pot. For example I was listening last night on low gain and I was loving the music at around 4 o clock. Which is loud (but not fatiguing with my headphones and dac) but that’s where the dynamics kicked in perfectly on my setup. The ASR review of this amp is helpful understanding how the volume and balance works. It seems really well made, you just have to turn the dial up further than most amps probably.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #2,467 of 2,587
I tried running my DAP (Sony NW-ZX300) directly to my amp and it did not go well a few years ago. I bought an external DAC (SMSL SU-8) and it made all the difference. But my DAP is much older than yours.
With a DAC the Sony, via line-out cable, made a Great juke box. Up until I bought the Bifrost 2. :angry:

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #2,468 of 2,587
Could be a lot of things. A couple to look into:
1) check what the voltage output of the Hiby is over balanced line out vs SE line out. Double check for any setting you might need to use in the Hiby to put into into something like “desktop mode.”
2) there’s info in this thread somewhere about the complex gain structure of this amp. You may not be getting the most possible gain, depending on a few factors (input type, output type, high/low gain setting). Given the right combination, the amp will do something like 16x gain.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #2,469 of 2,587
Thanks for the replies, I see so the Sa comes alive probably 3-4 oclock for you, I was expecting it to come alive sooner as I can achieve that volume with the Hiby on its own near enough, was expecting more volume as my 109's are very easy to drive. Basically when I am on 75% volume on the Hiby on its own vs 75% volume on the Hiby and 3 oclock on the amp it is the same loudness or even less. Shame as its sounds very good however I have not really gained what I was after. Have to decide if I should buy a stand alone DAC or resell the Sa and be happy with the Hiby on its own.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #2,470 of 2,587
Could be a lot of things. A couple to look into:
1) check what the voltage output of the Hiby is over balanced line out vs SE line out. Double check for any setting you might need to use in the Hiby to put into into something like “desktop mode.”
2) there’s info in this thread somewhere about the complex gain structure of this amp. You may not be getting the most possible gain, depending on a few factors (input type, output type, high/low gain setting). Given the right combination, the amp will do something like 16x gain.
Have been through all the settings, am on high gain also on the Hiby, has no settings as far as I can see for line out etc. Would it make any difference that my Headphones are connectet to the 4.4 balanced out and not the XLR ones ? It passed my mind but I doubt it.
Line out 4.4 is 383 mw and 3.5 is 125 mw just checked.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #2,471 of 2,587
Have been through all the settings, am on high gain also on the Hiby, has no settings as far as I can see for line out etc. Would it make any difference that my Headphones are connectet to the 4.4 balanced out and not the XLR ones ? It passed my mind but I doubt it.
Line out 4.4 is 383 mw and 3.5 is 125 mw just checked.
Those line out voltages (if correct) would be the reason. Standard line out voltage is 2-2.5V single ended and 4-4.5V balanced. Those can vary a bit, but something as low as 383mV would be an issue. Are you sure those voltages are for the line out jacks and not the regular headphone jacks?

Edit: a quick glance at the specs says that the Hiby’s line out jacks should be 2Vrms and 4Vrms, so something else must be going on with how you’ve got this set up. For a modestly sensitive headphone, you should be getting music plenty loud through the Singxer with the volume knob well below 10-12 o’clock

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #2,472 of 2,587
just connected my old Ibasso dx80 through the line out 3.5 to the Sa's RCA and it is indeed very loud, cannot go past 12 oclock, tried the same with the Hiby and much lower volume, cannot make it out. So both the 3.5 and 4.4 very low volume.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #2,473 of 2,587
just connected my old Ibasso dx80 through the line out 3.5 to the Sa's RCA and it is indeed very loud, cannot go past 12 oclock, tried the same with the Hiby and much lower volume, cannot make it out. So both the 3.5 and 4.4 very low volume.
Are the Hiby line outputs variable (i.e. can you adjust the volume on the Hiby)? If they are, set the Hiby’s volume to max, and use the knob on the Singxer as your master volume.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #2,474 of 2,587
They are variable, but problem is I have not really gained in volume at all, with the DX80 I cannot go past 10 as gets really loud, something does not add up.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #2,475 of 2,587
They are variable, but problem is I have not really gained in volume at all, with the DX80 I cannot go past 10 as gets really loud, something does not add up.
Perhaps it’s the cable doing something funky. Are you using the same cable to try the ibasso? Is the 4.4 end fully seated in the line output jack onthe Hiby?

Also, do you have any other devices to test the line out jacks on the Hiby? A portable speaker? A car stereo with a 3.5mm input? Do you have a 3.5 to RCA cable to test the other line output?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back