Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #2,477 of 2,579
Yes it is the same cable with the 3.5 to rca from Ibasso, cannot do 4.4 as Ibasso does not have it. Basically when connected to the amp I am getting the same volume as not connected if lets say I am on 75% of Hiby on its own.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #2,478 of 2,579
Yes it is the same cable with the 3.5 to rca from Ibasso, cannot do 4.4 as Ibasso does not have it. Basically when connected to the amp I am getting the same volume as not connected if lets say I am on 75% of Hiby on its own.
Weird. It’s like the Hiby is automatically setting its output to a very low level. Have you been able to connect the Hiby to any other device using the line output?

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #2,479 of 2,579
I have connected it to my hifi, cannot say if it was low on volume or not however did not notice, shall try it ibasso tommorow and hiby just to see what is going on. Only tried the hifi to see if an amp would change the sound and it did and reason why I bought the Sa as got a nicer bass out of the hifi's amp.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #2,480 of 2,579
Did notice that the volume settings changed whenever I swapped from linout to headphone out and the player remembers the settings with every swap, so are we saying I should be at 100 when on line out ?
Sorry the above was posted on wrong thread this was meant for the Hiby thread.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #2,481 of 2,579
So for line out I should be at 100 volume, just tried it and works very well and plenty headroom regarding volume. Was always under the impression that 100% is a no no because of distortion, so I presume this is not the case in this instance.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #2,482 of 2,579
So for line out I should be at 100 volume, just tried it and works very well and plenty headroom regarding volume. Was always under the impression that 100% is a no no because of distortion, so I presume this is not the case in this instance.
It depends on the component. You’d have to see if someone has measured its power v distortion performance to know. But for line out, you should set it to max regardless of the possible added distortion.

In any case, glad you got it sorted!

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #2,483 of 2,579
It depends on the component. You’d have to see if someone has measured its power v distortion performance to know. But for line out, you should set it to max regardless of the possible added distortion.

In any case, glad you got it sorted!
Yes very glad it's sorted, thanks for your help you have been very helpful.

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #2,484 of 2,579
I'm thinking about picking one of these up. My current desktop amp is a Grace m902 that I bought in 2008 but using an Ares II as the DAC instead of the internal one. I recently bought Clear OGs and want to try them balanced but can't with the Grace. I also switch between two sources throughout the day and those sources are at opposite ends of the m902's rotary dial. If I sold the Grace, it would likely cover most of the cost of the Singxer. I'm on the fence...

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #2,485 of 2,579
I'm thinking about picking one of these up. My current desktop amp is a Grace m902 that I bought in 2008 but using an Ares II as the DAC instead of the internal one. I recently bought Clear OGs and want to try them balanced but can't with the Grace. I also switch between two sources throughout the day and those sources are at opposite ends of the m902's rotary dial. If I sold the Grace, it would likely cover most of the cost of the Singxer. I'm on the fence...
There are a lot of good options in its price bracket, but the Singxer amp stands out for its power, clean sound, and surprising versatility.

You could probably find an amp that can do one thing better than the Singxer at its price, but you probably can’t find many that do all of what it does as well as it does.

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #2,487 of 2,579
You twisted my arm. Ordered...
Just make sure to use balanced connection throughout. SA-1 pairs well with ares II but only via balanced imo. I’ve been driving my he6sev2 and Aryav2 with it for a long time. Also the volume pot is logarithmic, meaning all the power is in the last 1/4 of the pot so don’t be hesitant to turn the dial. Around 3-4pm in low gain was loud enough for my ears with the he6v2.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #2,488 of 2,579
Good point. I already run balanced out of the Ares because the cable distance between it and the amp is longer than I care to run RCA.

Edit: I don’t know what people are currently paying for it but I paid $470 on Shenzhenaudio’s AliX site with the current sale. I’d be (happily) surprised if it outperforms my current amp. A lot has changed in 16 years.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #2,489 of 2,579
Just make sure to use balanced connection throughout. SA-1 pairs well with ares II but only via balanced imo. I’ve been driving my he6sev2 and Aryav2 with it for a long time. Also the volume pot is logarithmic, meaning all the power is in the last 1/4 of the pot so don’t be hesitant to turn the dial. Around 3-4pm in low gain was loud enough for my ears with the he6v2.
I've discovered that this largely depends on the DAC. I'm also often driving an HE6se v2 with my Singxer, but it was only when I was able to give it a high-voltage signal (usually, but not always, via balanced input) that it worked for the HE6. I now use a Mojo 2 as the DAC feeding my Singxer, and it will output a clean 4V over RCA (my prior DAC output only 2.5V balanced). Thankfully, the Singxer is also super flexible in how much voltage it likes via its RCA inputs. For those headphones, the higher voltage source input makes all the difference IMO. Doesn't matter if it's SE or balanced. The HE6 likes more voltage however it can get it. So my guess is that it's the higher voltage of the balanced output from your Ares II that matters more than the fact that it's balanced. It gives you a lot more gain to play with, and the Singxer has no problem delivering it.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #2,490 of 2,579
I have the Focal clear mg and they pair well with the Singxer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back